Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Removing SailDrive Oil While in the Water

Hi:

My Volvo 130S Saildrive needs its transmission oil changed within season. It's got a dipstick/fill plug as well as a capped vent tube that seems to extend to the bottom of the gear box.

I was able to get, with both the dipstick/fill plug open, AND the vent tube plug off, about 1.5 liters of the 2.9 liters that are in there, using a pump hose extended into both the vent tube and the gear box itself (through the dipstick/fill hole) Obviously, that's not enough.

Any ideas on how to pump ALL of the transmission oil out of the saildrive?

I have heard something about keeping a vacuum using electrical tape, but am not sure what that means.

Many thanks, oh many gurus!

/jon
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 15:09   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Jon,

I don't know any way to get all the oil out. I have a 120 S saildrive and get about the same percentage of oil out with a pump.

You can always do a partial re-fill, put the transmission in gear to mix up the oil and then do a partial oil change again. This will dilute the old oil.
Old 07-06-2010, 16:08   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I am able to get out only about 1/3 of the oil out of my SD20, so when I had water contamination, I pumped out, refilled, ran lightly a few minutes, and repeat about 9 times. This cleaned up the oil nicely.
If you can get that much out , you wouldn't need to do it so many times.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 16:52   #4

Boat: currently without
Since oil is less dense than water, if you use a long tube from a vacuum pump, you can remove the oil drain plug at the bottom of the leg, oil should not come out as it will want to float. Insert the vacuum tube, pull some vacuum and remove the fill cap at the top of the leg. You will need to keep vacuum until the oil is removed and cap is replaced to keep water from coming into the leg.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 21:16   #5

Have you proven this theory on your own machinery??????????
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:02   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Big problem with doing this is that the top of the saildrive is most likely below the waterline, so water outside the leg will have more pressure than the oil inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
Since oil is less dense than water, if you use a long tube from a vacuum pump, you can remove the oil drain plug at the bottom of the leg, oil should not come out as it will want to float. Insert the vacuum tube, pull some vacuum and remove the fill cap at the top of the leg. You will need to keep vacuum until the oil is removed and cap is replaced to keep water from coming into the leg.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 14:51   #7

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
After trial and error, I was able to get most of this out by using electrical tape to create a seal where the drain tube entered the vent tube ... creating a suction that let me take out 90% of the oil ...

The problem was lack of suction ...

Good luck!
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote