Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 04:53   #1
KDH
Registered User
 
KDH's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Carribean
Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Posts: 271
Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

I usually do the engine work on our Perkins 4.108 which is mounted with the belts aft and the transmission forward in the engine compartment. The prop shaft goes under the engine and into the Hurth transmission at an angle. It appears to be secured with two keys and a very large hex nut and pin which protrudes from the coupling. The problem is that neither myself nor my husband can break this nut loose without the shaft turning. I've never done this before and the last propeller shaft my husband removed was on a twin otter aircraft over 40 years ago. We need to remove the shaft from the coupling and back it out far enough to change the bellows on the PSS shaft seal while we are on the hard. Can't find any videos on you tube showing this configuration, have checked the Nigel Calder book and no luck. Is there a trick to this I'm missing? Have spent hours reviewing the forum threads as well. Any tips or hints greatly appreciated as I don't want to hire a mechanic to do what should be relatively simple. Currently in Ireland and this job is the only thing keeping us in the yard! Many thanks, Kim
__________________

__________________
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SAMOS ISLAND GREECE
Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.
Posts: 148
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
I usually do the engine work on our Perkins 4.108 which is mounted with the belts aft and the transmission forward in the engine compartment. The prop shaft goes under the engine and into the Hurth transmission at an angle. It appears to be secured with two keys and a very large hex nut and pin which protrudes from the coupling. The problem is that neither myself nor my husband can break this nut loose without the shaft turning. I've never done this before and the last propeller shaft my husband removed was on a twin otter aircraft over 40 years ago. We need to remove the shaft from the coupling and back it out far enough to change the bellows on the PSS shaft seal while we are on the hard. Can't find any videos on you tube showing this configuration, have checked the Nigel Calder book and no luck. Is there a trick to this I'm missing? Have spent hours reviewing the forum threads as well. Any tips or hints greatly appreciated as I don't want to hire a mechanic to do what should be relatively simple. Currently in Ireland and this job is the only thing keeping us in the yard! Many thanks, Kim


photos please :-)


M.E
__________________

__________________
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:49   #3
KDH
Registered User
 
KDH's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Carribean
Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Posts: 271
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

The connection here is too slow to post pics I'm afraid. I couldn't even get a fast enough connection to edit my location.
__________________
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23   #4
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

I'm only speaking from my own experience with our coupling, but the flange that mounted on the transmission side had a nut that is secured with a bolt that screws into the side of the coupler. You remove this bolt to unlock the nut. The nut must then be unscrewed off the shaft to release the coupler which can then be slid off of the shaft. To break the nut we held the shaft in place from the back of the boat at the prop.
__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:28   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: michigan
Boat: CORBIN 39
Posts: 301
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

I have done this and you need to do a few things, got a strap wrench? hold the coupling with the strap wrench and loosen the nuts by holding the spanner towards the center of the shaft instead of from the outside, like removing wheel lugs on a car. your bigger problem will be removing the coupling flange from the shaft. most likely it is frozen on the shaft. if so; you will need a die grinder to cut thru the coupling. after you remove the bolts pull the coupling apart and turn until the keyway is on top and then cut through the coupling into keyway to not harm the shaft. when installing the new flange, be sure to drill a dimple into the shaft before installing the new flange set screw. take your time and don't force anything keep it lubricated. do not use flame heat, might ruin the transmission seal. I am assuming you have a V drive. if this is the case, you may also have to raise the engine to get access to the log. having reread your post, sounds like to removed the bolts already connecting the flange to the trans.. your current problem is; removing the two set screws. line up the flange again and reinstall a couple bolts in the flange and then try to loosen the setscrews. loosen the lock nut first. some light tapping may help
__________________
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:32   #6
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,060
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Does it look like this..



If so that is a double taper shaft, meaning taper at prop and at coupling..



If so it will usually require a large impact driver and a prop/hub puller. Even after you get the nut off a double taper the real fight has only just begun...
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:41   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 227
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Maybe some bright spark might have ground flats on the shaft for an open ended spanner?
Big Stillson wrench(es) can be used to grip a shaft but will mark it.
If the prop is still on you could thoroughly rope it to cleats and winches port & starboard on deck with rags to protect the hull from rope burns. If the P-bracket's strong enough you could use that.
Presumably if the propshaft is rotating freely it should be easy enough to avoid damaging the transmission?
A three-jaw puller and a tap with a mallet while it's tensioned will usually break the taper.
I'm sure you'll have checked the handedness of the nut so I won't even mention it.
There are probably better ways to do this but I can't think of any yet.

later edit: slotted shafts so we could use morse taper type drift keys would be nice.
__________________
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:41   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saint Thomas, USVI
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Posts: 272
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

This is a V Drive Transmission from the description that is given.



Something like this.


The shaft goes thru the transmission and the coupler is on the back of the transmission facing forward sometimes they have a drive saver on them as well. The coupler and drive saver if equipped will have to be removed. If it's like this one you will need to remove the set screws and the bolts. A puller can be used or if you have a new coupler and angle grinder can be used to cut it and break it off. If it has a large nut on the end of the shaft that will have to be removed as well.

Jay
__________________
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:02   #9
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

[QUOTE=KDH;1538407] I've never done this before and the last propeller shaft my husband removed was on a twin otter aircraft over 40 years ago.

If your husband could have ever removed the gearbox, dismantled it and then remove the prop drive shaft from a PT6 Turbo Prop engine, he is way over qualified to fix your boat, so no worries.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:17   #10
KDH
Registered User
 
KDH's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Carribean
Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Posts: 271
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
This is a V Drive Transmission from the description that is given.



Something like this.


The shaft goes thru the transmission and the coupler is on the back of the transmission facing forward sometimes they have a drive saver on them as well. The coupler and drive saver if equipped will have to be removed. If it's like this one you will need to remove the set screws and the bolts. A puller can be used or if you have a new coupler and angle grinder can be used to cut it and break it off. If it has a large nut on the end of the shaft that will have to be removed as well.

Jay
Thanks Jay for posting the pics and the info. This is the set up we have only it's blue because the engine is a Perkins and not nearly as clean and rust free! Unfortunately, I don't have a new coupler nor an angle grinder at the moment. I will ask around the yard and see if I can borrow a puller.
__________________
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:22   #11
KDH
Registered User
 
KDH's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Carribean
Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Posts: 271
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

[QUOTE=Guy;1538544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
I've never done this before and the last propeller shaft my husband removed was on a twin otter aircraft over 40 years ago.

If your husband could have ever removed the gearbox, dismantled it and then remove the prop drive shaft from a PT6 Turbo Prop engine, he is way over qualified to fix your boat, so no worries.

Guy, questioning the tale's of one's spouse do not lead to a long marriage and we've been married over 25 years! He was an aircraft tech before he became a pilot. Unfortunately pilot's don't fix things they tell other people (that would be me) to fix them. Seriously, I am the boat's mechanic.
__________________
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:27   #12
KDH
Registered User
 
KDH's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Carribean
Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Posts: 271
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Does it look like this..



If so that is a double taper shaft, meaning taper at prop and at coupling..



If so it will usually require a large impact driver and a prop/hub puller. Even after you get the nut off a double taper the real fight has only just begun...
Thanks also for the pics. I do know it is tapered at the prop end and I do not want to have to take the prop apart to take it off. I also don't want to wrap a rope around it if at all possible as it's a Max-prop. It does look more or less like your pictures.
__________________
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:43   #13
KDH
Registered User
 
KDH's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Carribean
Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Posts: 271
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Maybe I should have also asked if I remove the prop shaft from the coupling do I also need to replace the cutlass bearing? I just paid someone to do that two years ago. The prop is a max-prop, the old style with 23 or so parts. The installation video at PYI makes it seem like this is an easy job. I guess if it is that difficult I may as well splash out on flexible shaft saver as well (if I can find one). Many thanks to everyone who has chimed in.
__________________
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 10:55   #14
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 447
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

In my case. It FAR was easier to remove the prop and pull the shaft and coupling into the boat complete. Then slide the PSS and bellows over, etc. So, just have to remove the 4 bolts for the coupling and pull the shaft in a few inches to clear the current packing.
__________________
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 11:04   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 447
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
Maybe I should have also asked if I remove the prop shaft from the coupling do I also need to replace the cutlass bearing? I just paid someone to do that two years ago. The prop is a max-prop, the old style with 23 or so parts. The installation video at PYI makes it seem like this is an easy job. I guess if it is that difficult I may as well splash out on flexible shaft saver as well (if I can find one). Many thanks to everyone who has chimed in.
You should not have to replace the cutlass if it is only 2 years old unless the alignment is really bad. It is an easy job in most cases (PSS Installation), but with a V-Drive, you have to think backwards where many cases it is easier to pull the shaft into the boat for cutlass and packing work than it is to pull it out- a normal drive would be impossible to pull in, so most people don't think the other way.

You may not have room for a flex, so measure carefully. And in my mind, they just compensate for bad alignment or really worn motor mounts.
__________________

__________________
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hurth, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurth HBW 150 Rebuild bdcruzer Propellers & Drive Systems 26 09-02-2014 13:07
Hurth HBW 150 Problem brakauskas Propellers & Drive Systems 23 01-02-2014 17:09
For Sale: Hurth HBW-150V transmission for parts or rebuild Juanona Classifieds Archive 0 13-11-2013 11:47
For Sale or Trade: Yanmar 3JH2TE & Hurth HBW 150 v-2 sglover Classifieds Archive 4 09-06-2012 10:39
Hurth HBW 10, HBW 100 and HBW10-2R Maxs Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 01-09-2011 08:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.