Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: PSS Shaft Seal; any tricks to finding the center of the shaft in the stern tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
How about measuring the shaft angle at bottom contact with the tube, then angle when it contacts the top?
Split the number difference and you're in the middle, vertically.
In theory this would work also, but on my boat there is no clearance on the bottom of the tube to squeeze in anything to do any measuring. I'm finished for now. I'm going with the way it is and when I get my batteries and associated wiring done I'll turn it on and see if there is any vibration and such. Thanks

Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 17:18   #17

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Re: PSS Shaft Seal; any tricks to finding the center of the shaft in the stern tube?

How about just taking the thing out and go with a regular G tex dripless packing? I have no idea why folks struggle with these ancient contraptions when we have modern packing materials that make these mechanical devices obsolete.

Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 17:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
How about just taking the thing out and go with a regular G tex dripless packing? I have no idea why folks struggle with these ancient contraptions when we have modern packing materials that make these mechanical devices obsolete.
Now,--that is funny You were joking , right ??
Old 30-03-2014, 17:47   #19
cruiser

In a diesel application the engine alignment on multiple planes between al four mounts needs to be very accurate and critical. It sounds like you have now installed a electric motor instead and need it line it up. This should be approached just like a diesel and tuned up and down on 4 planes to be perfectly in line. The beauty of the 4 bolt flange is a feeler gauge can be used to get it accurate to hundred thousandths. You want the motor aligned perfectly without even a slight bit of weight/ down pressure on the shaft. All this has little to do with the shaft being centered and everything to do with the motor being 100% correctly lined up. In a diesel set up the mounts have a threaded shaft and it's adjusted in 1/16 of rotations to get it spot on. It can be a long process, this is what you need to do after you just jam something under the shaft to hold it up a bit. The actual angle is basically irrelevant, it all needs to be on the same plane , no mater what angle it is. I just did a new diesel alignment and can't imagine how any app would begin to help. Grab a book on doing a diesel install, and do the extremely subtle leveling process for engine shaft alignment.
Old 30-03-2014, 17:48   #20
cruiser

PSS Shaft Seal; any tricks to finding the center of the shaft in the stern tube?

A electric motor install would require 4 threaded mounts just like the old diesel.
Old 30-03-2014, 17:53   #21

Boat: Albin Nova 33

Since I installed a PSS 5 years ago it hasn't dripped a drop. A very clever device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30-03-2014, 18:05   #22
cruiser

We're not debating the merits of PSS, I think the modern shaft seals are great. To me it sounded like it's never been hooked up to this electric motor, and the OP is mistaking just hooking it up for the complicated engine alignment process. If he had spent hours lining it up, questions about shaft centering wouldn't exist.
Old 30-03-2014, 18:43   #23

Boat: 35 ft steel Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
In theory this would work also, but on my boat there is no clearance on the bottom of the tube to squeeze in anything to do any measuring. I'm finished for now. I'm going with the way it is and when I get my batteries and associated wiring done I'll turn it on and see if there is any vibration and such. Thanks
Can you use the end of a drill bit to gauge clearances top and bottom?
Is so, set the shaft resting on 3 drill bits to centre it then adjust the motor mounts to suit.
Old 30-03-2014, 19:48   #24

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Now,--that is funny You were joking , right ??
got that right. To replace/install mechanical on ours, one must disassemble the prop and unscrew the pitch adjuster from the Hundested prop controller. Only done on the hard. I'll keep the packing.

BTW, Aquadrive or its equivalent double CV joint with thrust bearing is probably the most forgiving for misalignment.

Aquadrive - Hansen Marine Marblehead MA

Flexible coupling: coupling for marine applications - 0.16 - 11 kNm | CENTAFLEX-ACV - CENTA

Flexible and shaftcouplings from Lancing Marine
Old 03-04-2014, 13:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
Gosh... I just realized my boat is over 30 years old---and obsolete! It's sure going to be expensive to replace....EVERYTHING!
I guess I just like ancient contraptions! Ha!
Old 03-04-2014, 13:33   #26
cruiser

Has this electric motor powered this boat before?
Old 03-04-2014, 13:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
In a diesel application the engine alignment on multiple planes between al four mounts needs to be very accurate and critical. It sounds like you have now installed a electric motor instead and need it line it up. This should be approached just like a diesel and tuned up and down on 4 planes to be perfectly in line. The beauty of the 4 bolt flange is a feeler gauge can be used to get it accurate to hundred thousandths. You want the motor aligned perfectly without even a slight bit of weight/ down pressure on the shaft. All this has little to do with the shaft being centered and everything to do with the motor being 100% correctly lined up. In a diesel set up the mounts have a threaded shaft and it's adjusted in 1/16 of rotations to get it spot on. It can be a long process, this is what you need to do after you just jam something under the shaft to hold it up a bit. The actual angle is basically irrelevant, it all needs to be on the same plane , no mater what angle it is. I just did a new diesel alignment and can't imagine how any app would begin to help. Grab a book on doing a diesel install, and do the extremely subtle leveling process for engine shaft alignment.
I completely agree were this a diesel engine with a fixed shaft log. However that is not the case. Think of it this way. The prop end of the shaft is held fixed by the cutlass bearing. There is no other fixed bearing on the inboard end of the shaft. So there are an infinite number of up/down angles, and side to side angles that would couple just fine to my motor drive, as long as the shaft doesn't rub on the stern tube. The reason I wanted the shaft centered in the stern tube was for less cutlass bearing wear than anything else. The entire motor drive system weighs 60 Lbs. Therefore the shaft coupling, which in this case is a long collar (not a flange), draws or forces the two shafts to be in alignment and then the electric motor mounts when adjusted simply move the shaft up and down, or side to side as it is essentially, once coupled, a one piece unit. Such is not the case with a 400 Lb. diesel. I'm sure you can visualize that. BTW, I have a fair amount of diesel experience over the last 40 years. I have also installed my own diesel engine in a Rawson 30 from scratch, which by necessity included making new hand hewn engine beds bonded to the hull, and installing a larger stern tube in the deadwood area because the shaft was larger diameter than the end of the keel area where it exited. So I am more than familiar with engine installation and what you are saying. But again, the electric drive unit uses a different type of coupling (see photo in my original post in the beginning) and does not jump around like a diesel on a pogo stick, in fact there is no perceptible vibration in the boat at all, thus this different shaft coupling was the preferred method. So all in all I believe it's going to work fine. I will recheck however when I'm hauled out again next year. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:06   #28

Quote:
We're not debating the merits of PSS, I think the modern shaft seals are great. To me it sounded like it's never been hooked up to this electric motor, and the OP is mistaking just hooking it up for the complicated engine alignment process. If he had spent hours lining it up, questions about shaft centering wouldn't exist.
No mistaking at all. You completely missed the point. Again; when the original diesel engine was removed the PSS shaft seal, (being flexible), let the shaft drop to the bottom of, and rest on, the stern tube. There is NO rigid support whatsoever on the inboard end of the shaft. Would you have aligned your flanges to that? Or would you like to raise your shaft up so it is centered in the stern tube and then begin alignement? I hope this is clear this time. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:19   #29

Quote:
Has this electric motor powered this boat before?
No this is a new electric motor/system installation replacing an old Yanmar 3GM. No parts from the old engine system are used or needed other than the original engine beds. This did away with; engine starting battery, fuel tank, water intake and strainer, fuel filters, wet exhaust, exhaust lifter, intake seacock, above water vent/exhaust thru-hulls, Morse shift and throttle cables, and all associated hoses, clamps, etc.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:36   #30
cruiser

PSS Shaft Seal; any tricks to finding the center of the shaft in the stern tube?

The inboard end on a diesel is also bearing-less, just pretend that the electric engine is a diesel and align it like that. It makes no matter what it weighs, more or less. And that connector flange doesn't mean it has to be any less accurate. Bolt the shaft to the motor, using the motor mounts adjust all 4 planes up/down side to side. When it's spot on, slide the shaft back and put the bellows/stuffing box in. That connector makes it a little harder as you can't stick tiny strips of paper in and check their clearance as you rotate. I use a feeler gauge to rough it in and then go to scraps of paper to finish. It's seems that flange you have if just tightened down will mask the tiniest bit of mis-alignment and spin funny or vibrate.

Tags
shaft seal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: