Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 14:54   #1
Registered User
 
Tom Hildebrandt's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beaufort, NC
Boat: Radford 40
Posts: 149
PSS seal machining faces

I have a PSS seal which is not leaking but both the faces have minor grooving. Has anyone had experience machinging the faces on these units?
__________________

__________________
Tom Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 16:31   #2
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,378
Images: 2
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Leave the carbon stator alone but it is possible to machine the stainless rotor. Better to wet grind if that is an option rather than use a cutting tool. Alternatively you can turn it around and use the front face if it free of damage.
__________________

__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 18:34   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Tom, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 18:37   #4
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,378
Images: 2
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Do fix it as the grooving can hold abrasive particles that will accelerate the wear between the two faces. Do you wait for your fuel filters to clog before changing them?
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:07   #5
Registered User
 
dandrews's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shirley, MA
Boat: Bristol 34
Posts: 235
Asking a question on this thread.... Working on a project boat that came with tons of misc. items, one being a PSS. My quest is should the ID of the carbon section be the same size as the shaft and the ID of the SS portion? The one I have the ID of the carbon is larger than the shaft. Thanks for any comments.

Don
__________________
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:26   #6
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Don, They should be exactly the same. Tom, I have installed hundreds of these dripless systems, including our own current boat. You can mess up the seal between two surfaces if your not careful. Since it's not leaking and to remove and work on the system, the boat has to be hauled, I would make a call to PYI and get their input before doing anything. They can give you the straight answer since they make the system. I have always found them to be open and honest whenever I had a question. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:32   #7
Registered User
 
dandrews's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shirley, MA
Boat: Bristol 34
Posts: 235
Thanks Chuck. My own thoughts were that they should be the same. Boat is on the hard in my side yard so I can get things right before it ever see water. Installing new shaft, completely rebuilt 3GM, etc. I will call the PYI folks and chat with them.

Don
__________________
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 20:57   #8
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,378
Images: 2
Re: PSS seal machining faces

As I have said on this forum before, mis-information is dangerous. If you need to ask then ask the manufacturers. Some comments made here are false.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 21:20   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: PSS seal machining faces

It's a no-brainer!!!
I've done it. It only took about .005" to clean up each side. It's best to machine rather then hone so as to get it square with the shaft/hole. As long as the thickness stays away from the internal O-ring groves all is well.

The carbon can be lapped with a wood block and sandpaper. It's self aligning.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 21:56   #10
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,378
Images: 2
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It's a no-brainer!!!
I've done it. It only took about .005" to clean up each side. It's best to machine rather then hone so as to get it square with the shaft/hole. As long as the thickness stays away from the internal O-ring groves all is well.

The carbon can be lapped with a wood block and sandpaper. It's self aligning.
Wet grinding with the appropriate attachment on a lathe is good but if using a cutting tool make sure the slowest possible cross slide feed speed is used.
The stator has a larger ID than the rotor to allow it to float on the seal face and get rid of the lubricating water rather than forcing the rotor and stator apart to release the water.
Replacing these seals in the water is entirely possible with proper preparation and saves a huge amount of time and money. It is very difficult to haul vessels here so we do everything we can in the water. Last week a 2" PSS replaced in the water in 3 hours. It would have taken longer just to haul a boat here and cost around $900.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 23:16   #11
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Wet grinding with the appropriate attachment on a lathe is good but if using a cutting tool make sure the slowest possible cross slide feed speed is used.
The stator has a larger ID than the rotor to allow it to float on the seal face and get rid of the lubricating water rather than forcing the rotor and stator apart to release the water.
Replacing these seals in the water is entirely possible with proper preparation and saves a huge amount of time and money. It is very difficult to haul vessels here so we do everything we can in the water. Last week a 2" PSS replaced in the water in 3 hours. It would have taken longer just to haul a boat here and cost around $900.
I shoot people in shops who put a grinding attachment on a nice lathe. Best to turn it on a lathe after indicating it's parallel surface. Yes, slow feed but best to drag the tool (carbide) from the ID to the outside for finish.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 23:50   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal 40
Posts: 2,401
Images: 7
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
Asking a question on this thread.... Working on a project boat that came with tons of misc. items, one being a PSS. My quest is should the ID of the carbon section be the same size as the shaft and the ID of the SS portion? The one I have the ID of the carbon is larger than the shaft. Thanks for any comments.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Don, They should be exactly the same. Tom, I have installed hundreds of these dripless systems, including our own current boat. You can mess up the seal between two surfaces if your not careful. Since it's not leaking and to remove and work on the system, the boat has to be hauled, I would make a call to PYI and get their input before doing anything. They can give you the straight answer since they make the system. I have always found them to be open and honest whenever I had a question. Chuck
Interesting I've only worked on the one on my boat, the I.D. of the carbon ring is not the same as the stainless donut, it is bigger. If it were the same size it would only be a few thousandths bigger than the shaft (whatever allowance needed for the o-ring compression in the donut) and have no play to self align and seems a good way for it to potentially bind on the shaft and tear the bellows out. PYI didn't say anything was wrong with mine when I drove up there with the entire PSS to be refurbished with propeller and shaft as I needed the Max-Prop tuned up as well.
__________________
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 00:45   #13
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,378
Images: 2
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I shoot people in shops who put a grinding attachment on a nice lathe. Best to turn it on a lathe after indicating it's parallel surface. Yes, slow feed but best to drag the tool (carbide) from the ID to the outside for finish.
Wet grinding as I specified is a lot better. I used to work on a ship that had the lathe and dry grinding attachment for valve refacing 4' from the main engine turbo inlet and upwind.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 06:22   #14
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: PSS seal machining faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Interesting I've only worked on the one on my boat, the I.D. of the carbon ring is not the same as the stainless donut, it is bigger. If it were the same size it would only be a few thousandths bigger than the shaft (whatever allowance needed for the o-ring compression in the donut) and have no play to self align and seems a good way for it to potentially bind on the shaft and tear the bellows out. PYI didn't say anything was wrong with mine when I drove up there with the entire PSS to be refurbished with propeller and shaft as I needed the Max-Prop tuned up as well.
Your absolutely right, I don't know what I was thinking when Don said I.D. The carbon ring is larger. For Don the number for PYI is 800-523-7558. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 06:52   #15
Registered User
 
aboutgone's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marathon, Boot key harbor
Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Posts: 252
Re: PSS seal machining faces

A piece of glass and water based valve grinding compound ... That's what I use here at the boat yard. Works great and faster than you think !!!
__________________

__________________
Never start vast projects with half vast ideas
aboutgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.