Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 15:48   #1

Boat: Hunter 30 - "Nolina"
PSS Dripless Stuffing Box Leaks!

Hi, does anyone know of possible causes and solutions for a PSS dripless shaft seal that slowly leaks? I have the collar pushed back against the bellows pretty tightly, so it's drips slowly now. When the collar was at normal position it dripped about once every few seconds. Could I sand down the graphite seal or is it time for a replacement?

Thanks,
Aaron
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:04   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Give PYI a call. They have good support.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:04   #3

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
PYI recommends putting a clean rag between the SS and the carbon and spinning the shaft. Be sure you haven't gotten any oil in the seal. I have also used very fine sandpaper (>#400) to clean the SS rotor. Don't sand the carbon.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:26   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
They really don't like oil. Anytime we've messed with them, we finish wearing clean rubber gloves and clean them with alcohol.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:31   #5

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'
Get a rebuild kit from them. They don't coat that much.
Old 12-11-2009, 17:19   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
How old is the unit? If you are having to push the bellows back more than about an inch from the "out of the box" length to get a seal, its time to replace it.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 17:51   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
For a 1" prop shaft PYI recommends 3/4" preload. I just recently pulled my PSS and shaft. I noticed a little pitting in the seat area and I'll bet it from sitting so much. Mine sits on the hard 10 months out of the year and the PSS and has only been on for two years. If one were to use their boat often I don't think that pitting would be a problem. "Use it or lose it".
Old 12-11-2009, 18:04   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
I have seen that pitting as you describe on a few boats, and wondered if it might be galvanic action thru the Allen screw and the shaft. I have 1 1/4" monel shaft and a Drivesaver, so installed a tied-in shaft brush. No pitting in ten years. Any thoughts?
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 20:26   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I have seen that pitting as you describe on a few boats, and wondered if it might be galvanic action thru the Allen screw and the shaft. I have 1 1/4" monel shaft and a Drivesaver, so installed a tied-in shaft brush. No pitting in ten years. Any thoughts?
My shaft, PSS collar and set screws are all stainless. I think................It's the lack of recycled fluids and air (acids) that cause the erosion. although, mine was very minor and I was able to polish it out with a rotary lapping table with a 120 grit..................._/)
Old 12-11-2009, 20:41   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
You forget the carbon counterpart of the stainless collar. These two have an electrical connection and each conducts. They also get wet with raw water.

Mine has some corrosion but it isn't leaking. Sometimes it is seized a bit and one time it looked like it was seized good but then a week later it was loose again without me doing anything about it... ???

I think one can machine and lap both collars, I don't really see a reason why that can't be done?? It might leak a little after that at first, but some run-time should seat them again just like happens with a new set? Anybody got info about that?

I have a complete spare set and will probably install that during the next haul-out.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 22:43   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Always wondered about the carbon bush and s/s on those pss seals.
I got these ones instead

Old 14-11-2009, 08:22   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Slip a piece of 150 grit sandpaper (grit to the stainless) while the engine is in gear, and let it run 5 or 10 revolutions. Also you should place a t-bolt clamp on the shaft, butted up to the stainless collar, and secure.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 04:02   #13

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38
Yes I am a little late but just came across this thread while dealing with my own leaking shaft seal (only when spinning). Caelestis, what do you mean "place a t-bolt clamp on the shaft"? Why? When?
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:16   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHawk View Post
Yes I am a little late but just came across this thread while dealing with my own leaking shaft seal (only when spinning). Caelestis, what do you mean "place a t-bolt clamp on the shaft"? Why? When?
There are two very small screws that hold the stainless collar in position on the shaft (additionally there are two screws on top of the "gripping" screws so they do not back out). Those screws are woefully inadequate to hold the collar over time. Place a t-bolt clamp up against the collar and it will not move.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 18:11   #15

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
As a delivery skipper, I have often thought of adding a surcharge for anyone who has one of these suckers. They always seem to be a problem. They leak they need to be "burped" they do not seal or they score the shafts. I have no idea why folks put these complicated devices on their couplings now that we have materials that will keep the water out and work without dripping like the carbon fiber or clay packing. Sheesh! I am goning to add a surcharge for deliveries if you have one of these as I always have to bail constantly and adjust them. Pain in the butt.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote