Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2008, 22:44   #1

PSS Bellows Replacement

The PSS shaft seal on my boat was installed 14 years ago. I can't find any record of the bellows being replaced and I feel pretty confident in guessing that it has not been replaced at all. The seal is, however, completely water tight. But I've heard a whole lot about the catastrophic types of failure that are possible with a dripless seal.
With the hopes of tempting fate as little as possible, I'm looking into replacing the bellows. But, I'm looking for some other opinions. I read in another thread that people have replaced the entire seal with the boat in the water, even though the manufacturer suggests against it.
Is it wise to try to replace the bellows in the water? If it is do-able, does anyone have any advice or tricks that could make the job easier and more safe? My shaft seal is fairly easy to get to. I swear I'm not a cheap-skate... I just don't know if I can do the haul out any time soon.
nobigwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 01:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I can not help with direct info on PSS shaft seals, but I suggest that you take a good look at the rubber bellows. Look for perishing, very hard area's or very soft area's.
Hopefully someone with experiance of this sytem will give you advice on changing in water.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 03:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
PSS (Packless Sealing System) Shaft Seal
PYI Inc.
12532 Beverly Park Road , Lynnwood, WA 98087
Phone: (425) 355-3669
Fax: (425) 355-3661
E-mail: info@pyiinc.com
Web site: PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D

Instructions:
http://www.pyiinc.com/images/pdf/pss...structions.pdf

Or:
PSS Dripless Shaft Seal Stuffing-Packing Box Replacement

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 04:24   #4

to replace the bellows you need to replace everything but the rotor. The bellows is glued to the carbon sealing ring. I have done them in the water before. Make sure the bilge pump works and don't get nervous about the water flowing in.

I have to advise on the if it ain't broke theory..but it's not my boat.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 12:08   #5

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Yea we just did one on a friends boat, wasnt too bad with the exception of getthing the rotor off the shaft. Easily done on the water by an amateur is point
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 12:49   #6

from what i can remember of the install instructions they suggest every 5 yrs. but i believe this is based on if your batteries are located in the same comp. as the seal as the the off gassing of the batts. will cover the rubber with acid and this is what destroys the bellows, and of coarse the heat in the engine comp. over time !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:25   #7

I have installed 100's of these seals as an authorized dealwer for PSS. While they may be able to be replace in the water, that is just silly!!! Too many things can go wrong and many times the shaft needs to be turned from bellow. The bellows don't wear out easily at all. They really do last a long, long time. The bellows alone can be replaced if you really want to do this but I agree with the above "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Sorry if I stepped on any toes. Been a mechanic for 25 years and this perticular product I do know intimately. I will say, if I was to replace the bellows, I would replace everything, simply because of the amount of work involved.
Brad
brad pflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:26   #8

Hypalon Bellow

I forgot to mention that the bellow that is in place is not rubber... but instead is a "Reinforced Hypalon" bellow. Does that make a difference in the overall inspection and life expectancy of the bellow?
nobigwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 14:25   #9

I have one on my boat or should I say I had one. After I hauled the boat this year I removed it and put back the old stuffing box. They are a nice idea but........ I would rather have the traditional stuffing box any day. Cost me 50 bucks to install the stuffing box and I don't ever have to worry about the bellows or catastrophic failure. I would rather have a small drip, it is a boat.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:17   #10

Which material it is doesn't matter, they are pretty bullit proof. I have customers who have had them in there boats for 10 years and no troubles. The only thing that would be of any consern at all is if a power boat had an engine out of alignment. Even then, once engine was aligned the seal could be readjusted for compretion. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
Brad
brad pflieger is offline   Reply With Quote