Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2009, 01:19   #1

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA
Propeller Shaft Packing

is there any secure way to reduce / eliminate the gap ( approx.1mm) between my propeller shaft (25mm) and the cutless bearing ?? I really don't want to haul the boat and replace the bearing, especially since there are no leaks .
I was thinking, maybe insert a .5mm copper cylindrical sheet... between the shaft and the bearing
any suggestions / recommendations and advice would be welcome
thanks
georges
Old 24-11-2009, 03:33   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
I think you are sort of stuck having to haul. You might be able to get a driver to do it but it is really not the kind of thing to do like that. Cutlass bearing are rubber not copper. If you put a copper sheet in there it is likely to heat up and stick to the shaft causing more damage. Honestly this is a job that requires hauling. Best just bite the bullet and do it right or you will end up with more damage.

Good Luck
Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 03:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I think Wayne is right....you should haul her.
I don’t think you want to insert that piece of copper.

Is it vibrating?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 04:21   #4

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
I just changed one, Had the strut off the boat and had it at work with any tool imaginable and it tok about an hour and a half to cut it out of the the strut. I dont belive it could be done in the water.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 05:01   #5

Boat: S&S Columbia 29 #3, TANGAROA
DO NOT INSERT A PIECE OF METAL INTO YOUR CUTLASS BEARING!
You will likely score your shaft which will then tear your rubber cutlass bearing to shreads.
There is supposed to be some gap between your shaft and bearing to allow water to lubricate it. The cutlass bearing has nothing to do with leaking.
What exactly is the problem? Vibration?
1961 S&S Columbia 29 #3
TANGAROA
tangaroa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 06:35   #6

Boat: Shamrock 246 Open
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangaroa3 View Post
You will likely score your shaft which will then tear your rubber cutlass bearing to shreads.
There is supposed to be some gap between your shaft and bearing to allow water to lubricate it. The cutlass bearing has nothing to do with leaking.
Agree, NOT a good idea. Just replace it, any other alternative will end up costing you a lot more later down the road.

Depending on shaft size, for an approximately 1" diameter shaft, a wear limit of 1/32" (0.030") on the shaft to cutlass clearance is acceptable. Some have gone as high as 0.050" or 0.060" without issues but if I saw that much play, I would replace.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 07:50   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The cutlass bearing is designed to allow water to pass threw it so it doesn’t get hot. It could be your shaft is worn also. A little rattle will not hurt much. Just run your motor at RPM’s that make the least amount of noise for long runs and do it right on your next haul-out.

Haul-outs should be on a regular schedule! During those one should check everything below the waterline and fix what is showing any hind of problem. Cheating on cost is only cheating yourself.
Old 24-11-2009, 19:32   #8

Boat: Sceptre 36
Are we talking Cutless bearing or Stuffing Box here? Cutless bearing does not leak into the boat.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 19:41   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Rex Delay,
Cutlass bearings use water for their lubrication, hence the water intake at the top end of the cutlass bearing to assure proper lubrication and this will allow water through the bearing and up the prop shaft tube(forgot the proper name right at the moment) and up to your stuffing box. The stuffing box should leak 1 to 3 drops a minute when the engine is running and not leak when you are sitting static, unless you have a dripless stuffing box. I just replaced my cutlass this week and had my cutlass threaded and made a special tool to pull it. If done properly, and you have a fixed pitch prop that only has a nut and keyway, you can remove and reinstall the cutlass while the boat is in the water.
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 22:58   #10

Hi james

my problem os vibrations at low RPM
Old 24-11-2009, 23:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangaroa3 View Post
the problem is vibrations at low RPM
no leaking from the shaft seal
wondering if a 1mm gap between shaft and bearing is excessive for lubrification
thanks
Old 24-11-2009, 23:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The cutlass bearing is designed to allow water to pass threw it so it doesn’t get hot. It could be your shaft is worn also. A little rattle will not hurt much. Just run your motor at RPM’s that make the least amount of noise for long runs and do it right on your next haul-out.

Haul-outs should be on a regular schedule! During those one should check everything below the waterline and fix what is showing any hind of problem. Cheating on cost is only cheating yourself.
I guess you are right
I am planning to haul next april, changing the bearing will be on my list of priorities
thanks
Old 24-11-2009, 23:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Are we talking Cutless bearing or Stuffing Box here? Cutless bearing does not leak into the boat.
suffing box is the volvo rubber seal type and it is fine , no leaks whatsoever, I was just wondering if the gap That I noticed is excessive and may lead to the leaking of the stuffing box ??
Old 24-11-2009, 23:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post
Rex Delay,
Cutlass bearings use water for their lubrication, hence the water intake at the top end of the cutlass bearing to assure proper lubrication and this will allow water through the bearing and up the prop shaft tube(forgot the proper name right at the moment) and up to your stuffing box. The stuffing box should leak 1 to 3 drops a minute when the engine is running and not leak when you are sitting static, unless you have a dripless stuffing box. I just replaced my cutlass this week and had my cutlass threaded and made a special tool to pull it. If done properly, and you have a fixed pitch prop that only has a nut and keyway, you can remove and reinstall the cutlass while the boat is in the water.
WD
without removing the shaft ???
Old 24-11-2009, 23:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Actually technically speaking its correct that you may be able to replace the cutlass with out taking out the shaft.
It depends on how you can pull it out...how much of it can you get a hold of? how is it held in place? set screws?
I think if you had intimate knowledge of it you may be able to do it.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote