Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 20:42   #1

Boat: Laguna 33
Propeller life

How long does a propeller last on a sailboat? 14 inch two (fixed) blade Martec, if it matters.

I'm sure there are many variables - damage, zinc replacement frequency...

But is a 14 year old prop apt to be mostly used up? I found a receipt dated 1997 in the ships papers.

When my boat was surveyed the surveyor rapped on my prop with a piece of metal and said it "didn't make a ringing sound like it should." I talked to a prop shop since and they said when I haul out (very soon) to bring it to them and they will sandblast and check it out, that no prop makes a ringing sound when on the shaft.

I'd like to change from a two bladed prop to a three bladed Campbell Sailer if it is time (or nearly time). I'd not like to be racking up boatyard fees while I have one made and shipped, or racking up charges at a prop shop tinkering with a prop that is nearing end of life.

Even after aligning the engine the boat has vibration I'm hoping the prop change would help with, but it's "on my list" mostly for the surveyor's concerns.

Greg
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 21:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Propeller life

Other than physical damage from being hit or catching line, or catastrophic galvanic corrosion I have never heard of a prop wearing out. They are big, bronze, and have no moving parts.

I guess over long enough the keyway could wear out, but I have never seen or heard of it happening. But saying that I am sure someone will jump in here with it having happened to them.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 21:39   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

The prop may need to be rebalanced. That could be causing your vibration.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 22:09   #4

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Other than physical damage from being hit or catching line, or catastrophic galvanic corrosion I have never heard of a prop wearing out. They are big, bronze, and have no moving parts.

I guess over long enough the keyway could wear out, but I have never seen or heard of it happening. But saying that I am sure someone will jump in here with it having happened to them.
A prop that has been allowed to cavitate can wear badly but it's very obvious.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 05:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I can guarantee that tapping a prop blade even while on the shaft will produce a ringing sound. It will not reverberate and sustain like it would if the prop were free and suspended from a string but the sound will be there.

What to listen for is akin to listening for dry rot when tapping wood. Good wood or metal will ring, soft will have more of a thunk or thud. The sound can be subtle and if the damage is slight may be very subtle.

On a bronze prop what you are looking for is loss of zinc in the alloy. Another and perhaps better way to check this is visually. Shine up the prop and look for areas that the color is going pink instead of the yellower shade of good bronze. The pink is an area where the zinc is lost and you are seeing more copper.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 12:38   #6

Boat: Laguna 33

I dug out the survey. The condition of the prop wasn't called out under his major findings, but where he inventories propulsion he says "Galvanic corrosion has softened metal." It's been in the water a year since then. I guess if I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade I have that and, "But honey, it's for the safety of our family."
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Used props are worth their weight as scrap, assuming you can find a boat scrapper that hasn't recycled them yet. There are a couple of places in Florida that scrap hurricane boats that always have a pile of them in the back somewhere, the trick of course is finding the right size.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope