Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2014, 17:56   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Propeller has Fallen Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan M View Post
Cadence is on the right track! Apparently most of these props have long since fallen off and the ones that remain attached were modified with an extra spacer which I have ordered at a cost of NZ$89. I haven't yet heard a technical explanation for how the spacer works but am prepared to give it a go! The cost made me wince a bit but I had a full blown seizure when I asked the price for a replacement shaft nut, thinking that I might carry a spare on board - NZ$200
I'm glad my babbling made sense someplace.

The simple explanation is some of these plastics act a lubricants. Just keeping the reverse friction from prop to nut.

Delron, Teflon. It's beyond me.

Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 22:59   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan M View Post
Cadence is on the right track! Apparently most of these props have long since fallen off and the ones that remain attached were modified with an extra spacer which I have ordered at a cost of NZ$89. I haven't yet heard a technical explanation for how the spacer works but am prepared to give it a go! The cost made me wince a bit but I had a full blown seizure when I asked the price for a replacement shaft nut, thinking that I might carry a spare on board - NZ$200
I have no idea what that nut looks like, but if you have the original and want a spare, I bet your friendly local machinist will make you a spare for much less than 200 bucks.

Meanwhile, is it possible to drill the shaft and the nut for a pin or safety wire?

Jim
Old 13-11-2014, 23:53   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Just saw the title to this, & had to read the thread. I'm glad that you found the prop. Mush have been quite the surprise when you went to maneuver the boat!
And, much like Jim Cate, I had the same thought about having a machinist make you a spare nut for less $. The tricky part about that, is what, if any, kind of heat treatment or semi-proprietary chemically based metallurgical alteration might the nut have?

As to keeping the prop in place, SOLIDLY, this time, chemistry could be part of the option... in addition to the already mentioned safety wires or pins.
What I'm referring to is this. There are plenty of SERIOUS adhesives out there, for which there are also fairly common solvents which will absolutely remove them.
I learned as much when talking to ITW/Plexus about Devcon, one of their metal filled epoxy putties. And the gent at the company that I was talking to, addressed my concerns about being able to disassemble some metal parts glued together with their Stainless Steel Epoxy Putty, by telling me that simply by soaking the parts in Methelyene Chloride, I could take them apart again (that chemical's spelling may be a touch off).

So for your propeller, I'm uncertain as to what exactly you would use, but odds are that there's an adhesive which you could glue it on with. And then, down the road, when it's time to pull it off, you repeatedly bathe the joint in the solvent several times, for a few days. Much as one does with penetrating oil on conventionally stuck metal parts.
That, & or apply extreme cold to the parts involved. Often enough that works as well, for conventionally stuck metal bits, as well as "glued together" metal parts. Be it; Dry Ice, Loctite Freeze & Release, or a long blast from a scuba tank (I'm told).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope