Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:13   #16

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
I know it does not seem right, but carbon is a metal.

'A metal is a chemical element that is a good conductor of both electricity and heat and forms cations and ionic bonds with non-metals. In chemistry, a metal (Ancient Greek métallon, μέταλλον) is an element, compound, or alloy characterized by high electrical conductivity'. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal

Cheers
JOHN

Not according to periodic table! Carbon is in the non-metal group. I always remember how strange it is that sodium--- found in table salt is considered a metal.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 23:03   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhouse View Post
I'd like advice on my situation. I had a new prop installed in March. I recently cleaned the hull and checked the prop and the prop zinc is gone. There are two prop shaft zincs, one of which is half gone. Is this a normal amount of time to have to replace the zincs ?

There are also tiny white spots on the prop which look like tiny little donuts and are rough to the touch. Is this corrosion or some sort of marine growth ?
I'm late to this thread but here is my $.02 none-the-less. Your zincs are well depleted or completely gone in 6 months. This is on the short end of the normal depletion rate, but is not unusual. Typically, one would hope to get 6-9 months out of your zincs, more depending on the weight of the zinc. The white spots do not sound like corrosion to me. Sometimes white deposits are indicative of corrosion, but they look more like little white pimples, not doughnuts.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 16:26   #18

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Not according to periodic table! Carbon is in the non-metal group. I always remember how strange it is that sodium--- found in table salt is considered a metal.

Foggy
FWIW, most all salts contain a metal: sodium chloride, epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), calcium chloride, potassium nitrate, etc.

Liquid sodium was used in early nuclear sub reactors as a cooling agent because of its excellent thermal conductivity. It turns out that liquid sodium is a better conductor of heat than mercury (also a decent electrical conductor), and replaced the mercury that was used in early reactors... I'm not sure what the most recent subs use - too lazy to google it
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 15:03   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
FWIW, most all salts contain a metal: sodium chloride, epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), calcium chloride, potassium nitrate, etc.

Liquid sodium was used in early nuclear sub reactors as a cooling agent because of its excellent thermal conductivity. It turns out that liquid sodium is a better conductor of heat than mercury (also a decent electrical conductor), and replaced the mercury that was used in early reactors... I'm not sure what the most recent subs use - too lazy to google it

I worked nights at Electric Boat one year while matriculated at URI. I remember sodium being used but I recall they had some corrosion problems with pipes. That was one interesting place to work. Some of their pipes were almost pure nickel. I remember seeing one pipe about 2" in outside diameter with an inside diameter of about 1/2 inch! But that was years ago and my chemistry knowledge has left me along with my brown hair. Electrical engineering, that is another matter.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 13:41   #20

Boat: grampian 26
It is nice to know that so many are well versed in chemistry and physics but I don't that answers the OPs question IMHO.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 13:56   #21

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Could the "little white donuts" be barnykills that got "electrocuted "?
I have noticed that when props go "funny" ,it can be felt on the blade edges first. Where are these donuts on the wheel?
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 13:59   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
post a picture of this issue
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote