Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Prop Shaft Line Cutters: Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Here is what can happen, particularly in Florida's West Coast or in the

Bahamas.

Should you snag a polypropylene pot line, it can get hot and melt itself around

the shaft at the strut and then you cannot cut it away.

Actually I had that happen on my first boat. The polypropylene melted into the cutlass bearing. No water, over heated, no more cutlass bearing. Have had Spurs from then on.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 17-10-2015, 14:47   #32

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

In response to Cadence and Stu Jackson, on a 36' center cockpit boat having a 6' bowsprit and a J dimension of 17' when using the 130% Genoa, the boat requires a Genoa sheet of about 40' for the non working side, thus when the Genoa is sheeted in, subtract the length of most of the foot of the sail to the center cockpit winch (that is on the forward part of the aft cabin top) and you have about 30' left over.
I apologize if my technical jargon doesn't meet specs, however, I have more sheet than I want coming into the cockpit. To avoid a second occurrence of the "accident," I have installed a holder to secure the extra line.
Regarding a cutter, my hesitancy , perhaps unnecessary, for using the "Spurs" has more to do with my concern for electrolysis and the disruption of the flow path of water to the prop than the worry about a line going over the side. However, the latter was an actual event, and I was pleased at that time that the Spurs wasn't installed. Be that as it may, I enjoy being in the water, and have no reservations about diving to clear a prop or to keep the bottom free of barnacles.
Finally, to give additional merit to those that suggest having a cutting device, a buddy boat with an exposed shaft and prop had transmission damage as a result of a fouling.

Old 17-10-2015, 14:54   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
In previous discussions about this issue, this comes up time & time again.

In most cases, I have read where other posters have asked: "Unless the sheet came loose from the clew of the sail and/or the jib fairleads, how can this happen?"

I keep both of our sheets around the winches at all times, and neither of mine could possibly reach the prop even if I deliberately tossed them overboard.

Could you help explain?

I do keep track of my headsail sheets but the sheets on my asymmetrical spinnaker are extra long. When I first got it and tried it out, I was distracted. One of the sheets went over the side. There was very little breeze so I had the engine ahead at idle speed. The next thing I saw was the clew getting very, very tight. I quickly put the engine out of gear before my brand new, very expensive spinnaker got torn. At about the same time the sheet went slack. The Spurs had cut the sheet. I had to replace the sheet but that was the only damage except to my pride.

Dumb things happen.

Rich

Old 17-10-2015, 15:53   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

It is very easy to catch any sheet in the prop since the amount of the sheet on the winch when the sail is furled is enough to reach the prop, should the sheet get by any chance dropped overboard. The amount is even bigger if you power sail - nearly all sheet is on the low winch then ...

It would be fantastic if we could have all sheets cleared and stowed/secured every time we shift from sail to motor but in my humble experience this is not always possible. It is also unlikely to perfectly secure the genoa sheet when power sailing as this sheet may be required to run freely at short notice.

b.
Old 17-10-2015, 16:08   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I do keep track of my headsail sheets but the sheets on my asymmetrical spinnaker are extra long. When I first got it and tried it out, I was distracted. One of the sheets went over the side. There was very little breeze so I had the engine ahead at idle speed. The next thing I saw was the clew getting very, very tight. I quickly put the engine out of gear before my brand new, very expensive spinnaker got torn. At about the same time the sheet went slack. The Spurs had cut the sheet. I had to replace the sheet but that was the only damage except to my pride.

Dumb things happen.

Rich

Isn't it fun having new toys. I'll bet we can all equate to that.
Old 17-10-2015, 16:31   #36

Boat: 1980 Cal 39 Mk II Type 3

Thanks everyone for your replies! Your answers confirm my opinion completely. Cheap insurance indeed! No way we could afford the repairs a wrap might make necessary; no way I'd want to dive on a wrap in heavy seas; no way I'd want to take a chance of meeting up with Jaws!!!
Old 17-10-2015, 16:31   #37

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We have Spurs. They are an indispensable item on any vessel. They have saved us from disaster on many occasions. When we haul out, they are inspected and I re-sharpen the blades with a fine file. We wouldn't have a boat without them. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 17-10-2015, 20:09   #38

Boat: Brewer ketch 44'

We have a Prop Protector (Spurs would not fit, but were our first choice). On one occasion, we hooked three (yes, three) crab pots while under sail. It was blowing like stink and the Admiral would not let me go over to cut the lines or try to free them. She said "we installed the Prop Protector for this reason; try it." I started the engine and, with trepidation, put it into gear -- pop, the lines separated and there was styrofoam everywhere. I hated to lose someones pots, but they were in a channel area. I have heard of Spurs cutting chain but cannot vouch for that. I say they are an essential for cruising in potted areas or where you may encounter lines. (Another option, if you can reach the shaft from the deck (which we cannot and certainly could not while underway) is a tree limb trimmer, but that is a fall-back in my book.
Old 17-10-2015, 21:15   #39

I have already decided Yes - now which one is best?
Old 18-10-2015, 06:02   #40

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Yes line cutters are not perfect but like any insurance they are great to have when you need them. If you ever had to dive repeatedly to cut a snagged line off your shaft you would understand the cost is not unreasonable.
Old 18-10-2015, 06:59   #41

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

A way to settle the discusion might be to make the following arrangment with your wife. Without a cutter she has to dive the boat to clear a fouled line and you do it if it fouls with a cutter. You get what you pay for in effectiveness. JMHO
Old 18-10-2015, 08:42   #42

Boat: Oyster 49

Yachting monthly tested a range of cutters. The top rated was by ambassador marine this is the one that Panbo shows on his site as an unknown brand. Based on the yachting monthly article i just bought and installed an ambassador marine cutter on a 1.5" shaft with 3 bladed prop. With shipping etc probably cost me close to $1k, but I figured the potential downside with all the fish traps close to shore in the caribbean was too high ofa risk not to install one. Especially when coming in close to land at night. There are a lot of fish traps with very hard to see floats, think clear plastic bottles with green weed on them, and they can be in what you would think of as the main channel towards an anchorage. Not the time to loose your engine.
Old 18-10-2015, 15:29   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Ambassador "Stripper" as specified by the designer of my boat and installed on my boat as part of the original build.

Saved my bacon twice, and worked perfectly both times, cutting the line instantly and preventing possibly catastrophic damage to the drive train. I wouldn't want to sail even one mile without one of these.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-10-2015, 15:54   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We have a full keel boat with a relatively small prop aperture. There was no room to install cutters on the shaft, we wanted to do so. If one has the room, I'd say--go for it. Our prop seems to be very (very) well protected. We've sailed (and motored) quite a bit through zones of crab pots (fyi, even the "crab pot free tow zone" marked on the charts that goes all along Washington State and Oregon--HA! it has crab pots, too. But, I digress...

We've hit crab pot floats, run over them and seen them pop up behind us, poor things torn up. But we've not wrapped the prop.

The only times we've wrapped the prop were totally our own fault (on this boat and our previous boat). On this one, we managed to wrap our own stern anchor line once--had to dive on it, cut it, yes. We've also had a guest aboard throw a sail tie from midships into the cockpit...it didn't land in the cockpit but ended up wrapped on the prop. We did not realize it was there until the following week when diving on the hull to clean it and inspect prior to a upcoming long passage. Surprise, surprise, there was the sail tie. Did no harm but was strange.

Get the cutters if you've got room on the shaft, yes. If your boat is like ours with a well protected prop it should be fine -- I read one of the previous posts said he had full keel and the prop was only about 1 foot above the bottom of it--that's not really protected, IMO. Ours, the bottom of the aperture is about 3-1/2 feet above the bottom of the keel. Seems sufficient.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 16:13   #45

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We have a full keel boat with a relatively small prop aperture. There was no room to install cutters on the shaft, we wanted to do so. If one has the room, I'd say--go for it. Our prop seems to be very (very) well protected. We've sailed (and motored) quite a bit through zones of crab pots (fyi, even the "crab pot free tow zone" marked on the charts that goes all along Washington State and Oregon--HA! it has crab pots, too. But, I digress...

We've hit crab pot floats, run over them and seen them pop up behind us, poor things torn up. But we've not wrapped the prop.

The only times we've wrapped the prop were totally our own fault (on this boat and our previous boat). On this one, we managed to wrap our own stern anchor line once--had to dive on it, cut it, yes. We've also had a guest aboard throw a sail tie from midships into the cockpit...it didn't land in the cockpit but ended up wrapped on the prop. We did not realize it was there until the following week when diving on the hull to clean it and inspect prior to a upcoming long passage. Surprise, surprise, there was the sail tie. Did no harm but was strange.

Get the cutters if you've got room on the shaft, yes. If your boat is like ours with a well protected prop it should be fine -- I read one of the previous posts said he had full keel and the prop was only about 1 foot above the bottom of it--that's not really protected, IMO. Ours, the bottom of the aperture is about 3-1/2 feet above the bottom of the keel. Seems sufficient.

Looks like a nice blue water boat. On the up side, if you can untangle a warp you can haul the trap and eat lobster.

Tags
cutter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: