Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2018, 21:15   #1

Boat: WindJammer 34
Prop Shaft Backing Out Protection Idea

So I am extremely new and learning lots getting my first sailboat restored and ready for the water.

This past weekend I installed the prop Shaft with drivesaver and really don't like the fact only 2 set screws keep the shaft from sliding FWD/AFT. I have researched and it seams to be a common problem/possibility that one could be lost out the rear with a strong reversal and set screw failures.

I was thinking and with the drive saver I can slid the coupler and extra 1/2 inch farther onto the shaft compensating for the drivesaver thickness. On this extra portion of shaft I think I could fit a keyed shaft collar the could resist up to 3,000lb axial force. I can also do the same on the other side encapsulating the coupler as a safe gaurd. Similar to the attached models/pics.

Finally like so many post suggest either put another collar or zinc a little ways away from the stuffing box in case all else fails at least keeping the shaft in the boat.

This brings me to my question to the community. Does this seem like a good idea? The shaft is bronze with steel coupler. What metal type should the collar be? I was thinking black oxide steel.

Helpful feed back is greatly appreciated

Attachment 172533Attachment 172534Attachment 172535Click image for larger version

Name:	Collared_Rear.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	172536
NW_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 08:24   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch
Re: Prop Shaft Backing Out Protection Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Explorer View Post
So I am extremely new and learning lots getting my first sailboat restored and ready for the water.

This past weekend I installed the prop Shaft with drivesaver and really don't like the fact only 2 set screws keep the shaft from sliding FWD/AFT. I have researched and it seams to be a common problem/possibility that one could be lost out the rear with a strong reversal and set screw failures.

I was thinking and with the drive saver I can slid the coupler and extra 1/2 inch farther onto the shaft compensating for the drivesaver thickness. On this extra portion of shaft I think I could fit a keyed shaft collar the could resist up to 3,000lb axial force. I can also do the same on the other side encapsulating the coupler as a safe gaurd. Similar to the attached models/pics.

Finally like so many post suggest either put another collar or zinc a little ways away from the stuffing box in case all else fails at least keeping the shaft in the boat.

This brings me to my question to the community. Does this seem like a good idea? The shaft is bronze with steel coupler. What metal type should the collar be? I was thinking black oxide steel.

Helpful feed back is greatly appreciated

Attachment 172533Attachment 172534Attachment 172535Attachment 172536
I prefer a Walter Clamp Fit or "split" shaft coupler. Much more secure and easier to remove the shaft after it has been in a damp Bilge for 10 years. With one of these couplers the traditional hose clamp as backup to keep the shaft in the boat would be enough for me.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 08:54   #3

It sounds like you're describing the shaft retention collar from PYI.

PYI Inc. | Shaft Retention Collar

I've had a shaft back out on me from set screw failure. I now have my couplings and shafts through bolted.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prop Shaft Backing Out Protection Idea

Cheap effective cure..
Two stainless hose clamps..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:21   #5

Yes a zinc works well and you always have a spare zinc that way too!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 16:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
It sounds like you're describing the shaft retention collar from PYI.

PYI Inc. | Shaft Retention Collar

I've had a shaft back out on me from set screw failure. I now have my couplings and shafts through bolted.
That's funny that they market the shaft collar that way. I thought I might of come up with a new use but they beat me to it.
Old 27-06-2018, 18:31   #7

Boat: Tartan 37

I put a zinc right I'm front of the cutlass bearing. A friend almost lost a boat that the shaft back out.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 23:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The smallest shaft I've had is a 1.75" and the coupling had a taper pin thru the coupling and shaft. Plus the usual key and set screws. And bigger shafts are always pined.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:08   #9

Well I took everything apart and the clamp ring would not fit nested in the coupler like modeled.

While uninstalling I was surprised that the coupling did not want to come off very easy. The steel set screws actually dug into the bronze shaft pushing material out like burs. With that difficulty of remove I feel more comfortable and reinstalled everything the original way and added the clamp ring near the stuffing box like many suggested. Thank you everyone for the ideas/thoughts.

Tags
rot