Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 05:51   #1

Pettit Barnacle Barrier compatability w/ Anodes

I was told to check the compatability of Pettit Barnacle Barrier for my prop and the aluminium anodes I use. I want to paint the prop using the Pettit, but have aluminium anodes on the prop and saildrive. Obviously, I would not paint the anodes. Is there any reason for concern that the aluminium anodes will not work because of the zinc in the paint and the bronze prop? I honestly never heard of this before..........Thanks
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 06:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Pettit Barnacle Barrier compatability w/ Anodes

I presume you are using aluminium anodes because you are in brackish water.

The Pettit Barnacle Barrier uses zinc. if exposed to freshwater zinc develops a layer that prevents it corroding an acting as an effective anode (hence it is not recommended for brackish water). I would expect that this would also reduce the effectiveness of the antifouling.

Most of the marine paint companies have some technical advice facility. I would certainly ask Pettit if Barnacle Barrier will work in brackish water.

I cannot see any reasons to worry about galvanic activity (but ask). The zinc and therefore the Pettit Barnacle Barrier will corrode in preference to the aluminium anode, or a the saildrive itself, which is what you want.

None of the prop based antifouling paints work fantastically well so do not expect wonderful performance even if it is deemed suitable.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 10:30   #3

Re: Pettit Barnacle Barrier compatability w/ Anodes

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am in brackish water. The only thing that seems to work well is Prop Speed, but at a very high price. I have also read that some boaters are using Rustoleum Galvanic Rust Inhibitor which contains the same amount of "Zinc", 92% as the Pettit. I can also polish the prop as I do every year and not put anything on it.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote