Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 13:16   #16

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41
Re: Permanent Marking Pen to keep prop clean

Applied three coats of black magic marker (recommended and sold by Florida marina) to prop. Boat went in water 3/1/16, spent approximately three months cruising Florida east coast and Bahamas, then two months moored in Saint Johns River, Florida. Approximately 1/2" growth on prop (in other words blades were 1" thick with barnacles) and cruising speed dropped from 5.5 to 3.5K.

Conclusion: useless in semitropical/tropical waters.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:18   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

The reason props and other underwater metal is not painted with conventional (metal) bottom paint is because the two metals will create an electrical current and damage them. Read the instructions on the can.

Cayenne pepper? Be serious. If it worked it would already be in the paint.

Magic marker prevents growth? That's the best one I've heard yet!
Old 25-07-2017, 14:19   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

You could always get a test plate of the same material as the prop is made out of, put the marker on it, and then see who it works.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:30   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
Applied three coats of black magic marker (recommended and sold by Florida marina) to prop. Boat went in water 3/1/16, spent approximately three months cruising Florida east coast and Bahamas, then two months moored in Saint Johns River, Florida. Approximately 1/2" growth on prop (in other words blades were 1" thick with barnacles) and cruising speed dropped from 5.5 to 3.5K.

Conclusion: useless in semitropical/tropical waters.

Thats what I said, "black does not work at all". You need to use red.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:43   #20

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Last year I used Interlux spray transducer paint on my prop and shaft, masking the spots where I put two zincs. At haul out they where really pretty good. At a boat show I saw Interlux had running gear spray paint. When I questioned the rep, he said it is the same as the transducer paint, West Marine wanted a product marked for running gear, so just repackaged.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 15:28   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
You could always get a test plate of the same material as the prop is made out of, put the marker on it, and then see who it works.
I suppose I could but as an alternative, I could just put on my thinking cap and realize that if this worked, they would already be marketed for the use at marine stores.
Old 25-07-2017, 15:43   #22

Boat: SS34

I have just done a test with Sharpie marker pens. I used blue, red and green on various parts of a two blade folder. Lasted probably 3 months. I would say the performance was about the same as straight polished bronze.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:30   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I suppose I could but as an alternative, I could just put on my thinking cap and realize that if this worked, they would already be marketed for the use at marine stores.
So, it's not possible to come up with something new? Happens all the time!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:34   #24

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Well Ron, I can see you are hell bent on just doing and using what people want to sell you, so good on ya!
BUT, I have REAL experience with magic marker on both my boats on Lake Ponchatrain and it works great for up to 2 years. Now I know I'm on brackish water but it works for me. No barnacles or green slime. I'm just responding to the OP who was asking if anyone had tried this, and I have
Old 25-07-2017, 17:18   #25

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSJWS View Post
Well, I am about to haul out. We live on our boat in Mexico and it is hot. WAter temp this time of year is 34 - 35 degrees centigrade. I will try the permanent marker and tell you. We get our bottom cleaned every one or two months and the prop always needs to be cleaned. The dirty prop slows us down by over a knot when motoring. Stay tuned. I will report back in a few months. Splashing at the end of september then a month in the warm water should start showing growth. we will see how the prop looks after the permanent black and red markers perform.

John
s/v Ingenium
FYI, I'm told that the "Marks a Lot" marker is the only one that works. My buddy mentioned that coated the prop with marker, let it dry and coated it again. He did this four times with heavy coats. I'm going to try it myself next haul out. Certainly won't cost much to give it a try and if it works, then so much the better. Good luck overall with your haul out.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 17:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
We're months past April 1st!!
I thought every month was April to Californian's Steve..
Old 25-07-2017, 17:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The reason props and other underwater metal is not painted with conventional (metal) bottom paint is because the two metals will create an electrical current and damage them. Read the instructions on the can.

Cayenne pepper? Be serious. If it worked it would already be in the paint.

Magic marker prevents growth? That's the best one I've heard yet!
Geez. I can certainly tell you're not from the upstate. Maybe you need to cut back on the low country boil.
Old 25-07-2017, 17:30   #28

He specifically said marks a lot black, but glad you had good luck with the red. Maybe use each color on a different blade. Wouldn't that look weird going around underwater.. haha.
Old 25-07-2017, 17:33   #29

I wasn't expecting that many had tried this approach, but thanks to you all who have tried it and replied. I'm definitely going to give it a try and probably get a few chuckles from other boaties in the yard as a result, but what the heck.

Cheers!

JstaRebel
Old 25-07-2017, 17:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIsland View Post
Well Ron, I can see you are hell bent on just doing and using what people want to sell you, so good on ya!
BUT, I have REAL experience with magic marker on both my boats on Lake Ponchatrain and it works great for up to 2 years. Now I know I'm on brackish water but it works for me. No barnacles or green slime. I'm just responding to the OP who was asking if anyone had tried this, and I have
Thanks Goneisland. Some people are afraid of trying new things. I'm not one of them and a giggle here and there is like water off a ducks back. It's the internet after all.