Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 13:47   #1

Boat: 33' Bruce Robert's Spray
Outboard lower unit length issue. Help! (photos)

Hello,
We have a westerly windrush (25') that we're working on. I'm unfamiliar with outboards as a primary motor. The windrush has a locker that the outboard is kept it and it slides out the back when it's needed. It fits the johnson 9.9 the boat came with perfectly. When the outboard is lowered it seems to run fine until someone goes forward, Then the lower unit rises out of the water and it sputters. My concern is that this will happen when motoring into a slight chop or while anchoring. Can a extension be added to make it it longer? If anyone has experience with outboards being used as a primary motor please shed some light on the issue. The video attached was taken while I was in the cockpit walking forward, then back aft.

Thanks,
S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	111043  
Attached Files
sv.cambio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:40   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Outboard lower unit length issue. Help! (photos)

That sure looks like a short shaft OB.
Don't most sailboats use an outboard with a long shaft?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 15:21   #3

My understanding was that this is a longshaft. It's what came with the and it seems longer then my dinghy outboard. I attached a photo of the motor out of the water. Any thoughts?
Old 15-10-2015, 15:23   #4

Here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	111050  
Old 15-10-2015, 16:35   #5

Boat: Cornado 25

Johnson 9.9 "long shaft" has a foot length of 20" (See here for explanation Long Shaft Outboards and Short Shaft Outboard Motors) The Solitaire's kicker is a Tohatsu Sea-Pro Extra Long Shaft (foot length 25") and have never had a problem with exposing the prop even in 4-5' following seas.

Not sure if the vintage 9.9 you have was offered with a 25" shaft but if so (and if you can find one) it can certainly be swapped out.

With a hull speed of about 6.5 kts, you might want to check into the Tohatsu Sail-Pro as an alternative to putting the cash for a new lower unit into a vintage 2 stroke. Best $1500 I ever spent... 4-stroke, high torque prop, 5 amp charging circuit, 25" shaft, 5 year warranty. Sips gas compared to the old 2 stroke.

Remember this advice is worth just what you paid for it
Old 15-10-2015, 17:13   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

On most outboards you can order an extra long shaft kit which changes a 20" motor to a 25". I haven't actually put one on since the 70's (OK so I'm old) but as I remeber the kits contained a spacer to add 5"s to the leg, a new drive shaft and and an extension for the shift linkage and also new seals. The installation does require dismantling the lower unit to replace the drive shaft so the installation is not exactly trivial. I don't personally know if a kit is available for your particular motor but it might be something you want to look into.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 17:32   #7

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

Check out Bay Manufacturing

I have added one of their extensions to our 25" XL leg Yamaha 60 (making it a 30") on our catamaran. The kit included everything that was needed, including studs and extensions for water, drive shaft and gears.
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:17   #8

Thanks for the input! I'll contact baymfg and see if they can accommodate our old engine. Is there a downside to extending the lower unit length? (I'm not well versed in outboards). Would it cause and problems with the foot being to deep when the bow raises up?

capt-couillon,
Your option might end up being more affordable in the long run. Does your sea-pro push your 25' boat along alright?

Thanks,
S
Old 16-10-2015, 06:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Going deeper means more drag, but at the speeds we run, that is pretty much negligible, assuming you can still lift the motor out of the water, if you can't get it out of the water, then that drag isn't negligible
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:38   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just watched your video, that motor isn't coming out of the water much at all, never saw the prop.
Issue usually is the motor comes out so far that the prop ventilates, and you lose propulsion, if that isn't happening, you may not have anything to fix.
Old 16-10-2015, 07:25   #11

a64pilot,
The exhaust coming out isn't an issue? I'm not well versed in outboards as a main motor and it seemed like that should stay in the water. Is it more of a water inlet issue? as long as the water pump can get water am I good? I guess another question would be, at what point will it be damaging to the motor and not just obnoxious sounding?
Thanks for the help,
S
Old 16-10-2015, 07:42   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As long as it's peeing water and the prop isn't chopping air your fine in my opinion. Now of course get enough wave action and it will lift out of the water, that even happens with my onboard but just takes bigger waves is all

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-10-2015, 07:43   #13

I have a 9.9 Johnson long shaft, it is longer than the one in the pic,, suggest you replace your bracket with the transom socket type. it will lower you init down
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:48   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.cambio View Post
Hello,
We have a westerly windrush (25') that we're working on. I'm unfamiliar with outboards as a primary motor. The windrush has a locker that the outboard is kept it and it slides out the back when it's needed. It fits the johnson 9.9 the boat came with perfectly. When the outboard is lowered it seems to run fine until someone goes forward, Then the lower unit rises out of the water and it sputters. My concern is that this will happen when motoring into a slight chop or while anchoring. Can a extension be added to make it it longer? If anyone has experience with outboards being used as a primary motor please shed some light on the issue. The video attached was taken while I was in the cockpit walking forward, then back aft.

Thanks,
S
Honda makes an extra long shaft 15HP. 25" and a sweet engine. Not cheap however.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 11:36   #15

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

I can't help with whether an extension kit is a good idea but I can tell you that a 9.9 hp outboard is plenty for a 25' boat. I have the Mercury version of Capt. Couillon's Tohatsu, a 25" extra long shaft, 4 bladed, high torque 4 stroke engine. It definitely stays in the water Mine is on a hydraulic assisted mount so I can lift it completely out of the water under sail, no drag at all and it allows the engine to sit even lower during operation. It drives my 28' O'Day at hull speed all day long if needed. As mentioned it's very gas efficient. Also I second a64pilot's observation that simply keeping the intake in the water. If the water pump stream is strong you're good to go.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, photo