Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 12:00   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Outboard lower unit length issue. Help! (photos)

I had a C&C25 with the same problem.

Simple answer...stay in the cockpit.

If the wind and waves were big enough to get the prop out of the water, I was much better off sailing rather than using the engine anyway. It never seemed to be a problem downwind. However, there was always a very steep chop at the entrance to my marina, POH in Kingston. The wife would hold the children tight, and I would steer into the harbour...the engine screaming as the prop caught air, and the bow would plunge over the next wave. Very exciting for about 2 minutes almost every time the wind was up. Finally, the wife insisted we change marinas. Too bad though, I had almost perfected sailing into the harbour, and right into my slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4205.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	111098  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 12:29   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I went back and looked at the pic. I'm not sure you shouldn't be looking at redistributing weight It looks like you should have adequate length. It might save some money? Not to sound trite but if seas are that high, it is a sail boat and not meant to use the OB for much more than docking?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 16:32   #18

Boat: 33' Bruce Robert's Spray

Thanks so much for all the replies. The first hand knowledge from this forum community is really an invaluable resource. Once we get the boat in the ocean we'll see how she does, but for now we'll leave the outboard the way she is (exhaust screaming and all) we'll try to stay in the cockpit and see how she does.
Thanks again,
S
sv.cambio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:32   #19

Boat: Oday 25

I have an Oday 25 and we just replaced our long shaft Mercury 9.9 2 cycle which looked exactly like your set up. Ours was on a retractable mount so it sat a bit lower and could be tilted up out of the water when not in use. A retracible mount allows some water depth adjustment

1. 9.9 is plently for a 25 foot boat, and that looks like a 20" long shaft
2. The exhaust being above water has no effect except noise
3. Its only important that the cooling water keeps coming out.
4. You should not have a problem with this set up unless the propeller comes out of the water when driving into waves. It appears your set up should be OK for up to a 3' chop.
5. Don't put a lot of money into an older 2 cycle. Save it for a newer 4 cycle with a bigger propeller and a extra long 25" shaft. We just replaced the 9.9 2 cycle with a 6 HP extra long shaft (25") and it will drive the boat even in a 4' chop without coming out of the water. In fact it works better than the 9.9 did except not quite as fast in clam water.

I see by the preceding posts that you've been getting good advice. Hang in there
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.cambio View Post
Here is the pic.
Looks pretty deep to me. It's just the nature of the beast and I'm not sure you can do much about it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:51   #21

Boat: 33' Bruce Robert's Spray

Thanks for all the great advice. I feel a lot better about the lower unit length.
We're splashing next week. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
sv.cambio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

These Power Thruster............."Accelerate your Outboard" - Power Thruster Outboard Accelerator really seem to work well. We have used them on two boats and they do a great job reducing ventilation. Maybe an inexpensive option? And if you end up getting a new motor you can unbolt the power thruster and reinstall on the new motor.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, photo