Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 07:59   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Anyone out there have experience with the new SD 60's ?
Apparently they have a Disc clutch instead of a cone bearing.
Just had 2 installed in my boat and the yard tells me I am the first in the area that they know of.
Hopefully they will be an improvement compared to the SD 50's.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:09   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

So far so good after 18 months, 10000 miles and 250hrs, touch monkey
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:06   #3

The upper box on the SD60 looks like an exact knock off of the Volvo Penta 130s drive, which is built for Volvo by ZF. The 130S is equipped with clutch plates instead of a cone clutch as older Volvo drives had.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:07   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450

18 months, 9800Nm and 560hrs on the clocks and all behaving well - knocking on teak!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 08:11   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, 47' Casamance
Send a message via Skype™ to Avihoo

Sorryto inform you, that I lately replaced in my Cat, with a two set of new Yanmar 3JH5E& SD60, and one of the SD, after 45 hours, had a Clutch 'slip'.

Yanmarreplaces the Seal Kit, Clutch (Discs & Springs) under the warranty, by authorizedYanmar mechanic. Then, after another 30 hours, same 'slip' has started in the same SD, and nowI'm waiting to find out, if Yanmar is going to carry the responsibility and tosubstitute the whole Sail Drive, and this should be out of the water…. I'll behappy to inform you if they will manage it on their costs.
Avihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 11:45   #6

Boat: Oyster 55

ouch thanks for the information.
I do wish you well and hope this trouble will soon come to an end.
So far I have not had any problems but have many miles to go before I can feel comfortable.
Please keep us informed as things develop.
I am interested in what gear you leave your shifters in when sailing and if you have folding props?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 17:21   #7

18 months, only 190 hours, flexfold prop all fine, and you can change the oil without haul out.
Sail in neutral, just a quick selection of reverse to fold the prop, if you forget it's pretty obvious down below because the gearbox whines rather a lot
Just hope it stays this way.

Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 18:31   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Have about 110 hours in 14 months. So far so good. I was leaving it in reverse with my folding prop for the first few months of ownership but then I read the part of the Yanmar manual that says don't do that. So now I just momentarily use reverse to stop the prop and then flip it back to neutral.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 18:45   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
Have about 110 hours in 14 months. So far so good. I was leaving it in reverse with my folding prop for the first few months of ownership but then I read the part of the Yanmar manual that says don't do that. So now I just momentarily use reverse to stop the prop and then flip it back to neutral.
That's interesting because my manual I got with mine in June says neutral or reverse but never forward. I have about 200 hours on them and no problems so far other than what I would say in excessive vibrations in a couple of RPM ranges. 1100-1300 and 1900-2100 are the worst ones. These vibrations were not there with my SD40s.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:17   #10

Hmm interesting. My manual is 2014 vintage. What you say there Bill makes me feel better about what I had been doing.
Old 18-10-2015, 17:13   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I have the SD-60 with the 3jh5C in a Jeanneau 409. i have 85 hrs and have noticeable vibrations in the same ranges. I have the Flex-a =
Fold prop and hear the whine with engine off. i momentarily put it in reverse, prop folds then back to neutral.
Now once when I was turning the engine panel off then on i must have slipped the button sideways.I shut the panel off. Until I pushed it sideways it "popped"out" and the panel functioned as expected.
An other time it was after running several hours, I looked down n noticed that the panel was not working, dead. But the engine with the electric fuel pump kept running. after going back to the dock I pushed the panel "on/off" button around.
The panel lite up n was fully functional.
Has any one else have this problem with the new panels?
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 18:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capbillh View Post
I have the SD-60 with the 3jh5C in a Jeanneau 409. i have 85 hrs and have noticeable vibrations in the same ranges. I have the Flex-a =

Fold prop and hear the whine with engine off. i momentarily put it in reverse, prop folds then back to neutral.

Now once when I was turning the engine panel off then on i must have slipped the button sideways.I shut the panel off. Until I pushed it sideways it "popped"out" and the panel functioned as expected.

An other time it was after running several hours, I looked down n noticed that the panel was not working, dead. But the engine with the electric fuel pump kept running. after going back to the dock I pushed the panel "on/off" button around.

The panel lite up n was fully functional.

Has any one else have this problem with the new panels?

My first panel in my 44DS went completely dead due to water intrusion (it was a slow death with compounding failures over time). Oddly, the engine would still start with the start button, just no alarms, no RPM, nothing. I had it replaced under warranty. I have also accidentally powered down the panel without turning the engine off. One has to power the panel back up in order to turn off the engine with the off button.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-10-2015, 07:24   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, 47' Casamance
Send a message via Skype™ to Avihoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
ouch thanks for the information.
I do wish you well and hope this trouble will soon come to an end.
So far I have not had any problems but have many miles to go before I can feel comfortable.
Please keep us informed as things develop.
I am interested in what gear you leave your shifters in when sailing and if you have folding props?
Well, Yanmar has decided to replace the clutch kit, one more time, under the warranty. I'm very concerned about that…..
Have a safe sail, Avi
Avihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:46   #14

Im very happy to report that we are now up to 750hrs on each SD 60 and, knocking on wood, all is well. It would appear Yanmar got its sail drive right finally.

As per above on getting the props to fold, a quick shift into reverse and back to N and its done.

Regarding the vibration (at neutral, low revs), we had this experience and when informed to our Lagoon service agent, Yanmar came out and replaced some mounts as a recall. No more vibrations.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:34   #15

My 2015 Lagoon 450 had the cone clutch fail when being docked at Soper's Hole after spending the winter on the hard at Nanny Cay. Both SD60's had their clutches replaced at my considerable expense. Due to the number of hours (610) on the engines, it appears Yanmar will not cover these on the 2 year warranty. I purchased the Lagoon new from Catco in FLL (another story for another day). It was delivered to me with over 450 hours on each engine after its "sail" over from France.
I certainly will never know what gear the transmission was in when those hours were generated. Oh well.
TouchOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, yanmar