Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 05:16   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

If your L450 has cone clutches, then it does not have SD60 drives.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:05   #17
Registered User
 
capbillh's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Runnemede, NJ
Boat: Jeanneau 409
Posts: 102
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Yes, I was going to make same comment. I think that glazing would occur when shifting a lot vs. just steady running as when going long distances.

My SD-60 has an engine manufacturing date on it of Dec 2013. But the drive does not have a
Steve of Emerald Sea, do you have any more details re. the changing of your mounts i.e., part numbers involved, tech bulletin number, etc.?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saildrive plate.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	114510  
__________________

__________________
Bill P.C. TOYC,
K2SDV
S/v Wind Dragon
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 18:20   #18
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 11
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If your L450 has cone clutches, then it does not have SD60 drives.

Mark
They don't have cone clutches, they are SD 60s
__________________
TouchOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 19:26   #19
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
My 2015 Lagoon 450 had the cone clutch fail when being docked at Soper's Hole after spending the winter on the hard at Nanny Cay. Both SD60's had their clutches replaced at my considerable expense. Due to the number of hours (610) on the engines, it appears Yanmar will not cover these on the 2 year warranty. I purchased the Lagoon new from Catco in FLL (another story for another day). It was delivered to me with over 450 hours on each engine after its "sail" over from France.

I certainly will never know what gear the transmission was in when those hours were generated. Oh well.

You did say cone clutch. But ok the clutches failed. I don't understand why yanmar wouldn't warranty them. Is it because it's in charter or because they weren't serviced at the recommended interval by a yanmar service agent or some other reason? Hopefully there's more to the story than meets the eye..
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:29   #20
Registered User
 
caradow's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut/Caribbean
Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version
Posts: 472
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

SD 40'S and SD 50'S have cone clutches.
The newer SD 60's have a Disk Clutch.

Of course if you boat is in the charter business then be prepared to replace just about everything at the end of your contract. Those boats are heavily abused and only a few escape with little damage.
__________________
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:01   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
EWOL Props's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 83
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Anyone out there have experience with the new SD 60's ?
Apparently they have a Disc clutch instead of a cone bearing.
Just had 2 installed in my boat and the yard tells me I am the first in the area that they know of.
Hopefully they will be an improvement compared to the SD 50's.
We are seeing quite a growing number of these SD60, as you say it is a completely new technical solution compared to the older SD20-30-40-50 that had cone clutch.
The SD60 doesn't have the same limitations of past models in terms of prop diameter and is supposed to be a more robust solution.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 13:15   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
The SD60 doesn't have the same limitations of past models in terms of prop diameter and is supposed to be a more robust solution.
Is the prop diameter limitation the distance to the hull from the shaft?

How has this changed on the SD60? I don't think it is a longer shaft?

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 14:46   #23
Sponsoring Vendor
 
EWOL Props's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 83
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

The limitation was not linked to the distance from the hull but to the inertia of rotation during accelerations and especially during inversions. A larger prop has a higher inertia of rotation, so you need a more resistant leg assembly to be able to install a bigger prop.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
Emerald Sea's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Live-aboard Cruiser
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 571
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

"Steve of Emerald Sea, do you have any more details re. the changing of your mounts i.e., part numbers involved, tech bulletin number, etc.?"

Capbill, the recall to my Yanmar 4JHE 54hp + SD60s was the replacement of the aft engine rubber mounts. This was performed by Yanmar Singapore approx 3 months after delivery of our new 450 and my complaints of excessive vibrations during idling. This fixed the problem and was explained to me as a "recall". However, I found this odd as I knew other new 450 owners who hadn't been advised/notified of this. I haven't any part nrs for these items.

Steve


Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
__________________
Steve
SV Emerald Sea
L450
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:51   #25
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,583
Images: 240
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Yanmar Technical Bulletins (SD60):

Replacement SD60 from SD 40/50 ➥ http://czesciyanmar.pl/wp-content/up...ement-SD60.pdf

Shift Delay ➥ http://portal.mastry.com/bulletins/S...ft%20Delay.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:02   #26
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 11
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Hi Monte et al,

Quite frankly I wouldn't have known if my SD60s were cone clutch or friction. I sent an email to Thierry of Catco, FL about getting warranty assistance. His response:

"Cone clutches are a delicate subject and are not always easily replaceable under warranty - especially at 600 hours.

However, I do not understand why Yanmar USA advised you to contact me to handle warranty replacement. Yanmar warranty first needs to be authorized by Yanmar and then work needs to be performed by any Yanmar-authorized facility of your choice. In that case, Multi-Tech, Catco or even Lagoon would not be options Yanmar would work with.

This means that you can work with your local Yanmar dealer."

I thought he was accurate about the type of clutch being the operations mgr for Multitech Marine, Catco's FLL headquarters for receiving and doing OEM mods on all their lagoons. At any rate:

I took possession of the 450 last November. It already had almost 500 hours! First she left France with a Capt with a terminally bad back. He bailed on the delivery in Calais. It took almost three weeks for Catco/Lagoon to get another crew. The winds were light and they apparently motored or motor sailed across the Atlantic. We now keep the boat in Tortola, on the hard in Nanny Cay. After being launched the Capt had the clutch(es) fail upon docking at Soper's. My mngmt company quickly got parts and when I arrived, I was informed I have new clutches (and $4000 less capital). The Tortola Yanmar rep did not offer warranty help, and I was told all the SD60's need the clutches replaced after about 600 hours (mine were at 610).

My last boat was in BVI charter, and FP Bahia with SD40s, I replaced the cone clutches after 8 years of apparent abuse. My new baby I treat so carefully. Never a quick shift from Forward to reverse. Engines get used less than 1 hour a day when raising sails and dropping anchor.

So if anyone knows best tactic to convince Yanmar Tortola to authorize warranty replacement let me know. I did contact Yanmar USA who also said I must work with my local Yanmar dealer.

I have so many other tales of "breaking" in a new Lagoon. This post is too long already.

James Hirshberg
Sunshine Daydream
2015 Lagoon 450 #371
__________________
TouchOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 20:27   #27
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Hi James. Sorry for the run of bad luck. It sounds like the dealer isn't really on the ball with the SD 60 and the maintainance company isn't really fussed who pays the bill. I'd assume any warranty claim would need to be done after diagnosis and before the work is done, but I don't have any experience with yanmar warranty claims, touch wood.
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:25   #28
Registered User
 
capbillh's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Runnemede, NJ
Boat: Jeanneau 409
Posts: 102
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

GordMay, thanks for the 2 bulletins.
The first i have seen but in a new installation like mine it is not relevant.
The second changes what the manual stated e.i. now leave it in reverse when sailing for folding and feathering props. I have been putting back to neutral after collapsing the prop.

Emerald Sea, Did they replace all 3 ( 2 engine, 1 sail drive) or just the rear sail drive?
__________________
Bill P.C. TOYC,
K2SDV
S/v Wind Dragon
capbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 04:14   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boat in Turkey, Beach cat in Israel
Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Posts: 627
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Hi Monte et al,

Quite frankly I wouldn't have known if my SD60s were cone clutch or friction. I sent an email to Thierry of Catco, FL about getting warranty assistance. His response:

"Cone clutches are a delicate subject and are not always easily replaceable under warranty - especially at 600 hours.

However, I do not understand why Yanmar USA advised you to contact me to handle warranty replacement. Yanmar warranty first needs to be authorized by Yanmar and then work needs to be performed by any Yanmar-authorized facility of your choice. In that case, Multi-Tech, Catco or even Lagoon would not be options Yanmar would work with.

This means that you can work with your local Yanmar dealer."

I thought he was accurate about the type of clutch being the operations mgr for Multitech Marine, Catco's FLL headquarters for receiving and doing OEM mods on all their lagoons. At any rate:

I took possession of the 450 last November. It already had almost 500 hours! First she left France with a Capt with a terminally bad back. He bailed on the delivery in Calais. It took almost three weeks for Catco/Lagoon to get another crew. The winds were light and they apparently motored or motor sailed across the Atlantic. We now keep the boat in Tortola, on the hard in Nanny Cay. After being launched the Capt had the clutch(es) fail upon docking at Soper's. My mngmt company quickly got parts and when I arrived, I was informed I have new clutches (and $4000 less capital). The Tortola Yanmar rep did not offer warranty help, and I was told all the SD60's need the clutches replaced after about 600 hours (mine were at 610).

My last boat was in BVI charter, and FP Bahia with SD40s, I replaced the cone clutches after 8 years of apparent abuse. My new baby I treat so carefully. Never a quick shift from Forward to reverse. Engines get used less than 1 hour a day when raising sails and dropping anchor.

So if anyone knows best tactic to convince Yanmar Tortola to authorize warranty replacement let me know. I did contact Yanmar USA who also said I must work with my local Yanmar dealer.

I have so many other tales of "breaking" in a new Lagoon. This post is too long already.

James Hirshberg
Sunshine Daydream
2015 Lagoon 450 #371
I believe that your first claim contact should be Lagoon rep that sold the boat to you. They should contact and deal with Yanmar on your behalf. Our Lagoon agent dealt successfully with Yanmar on our behalf when engine overheated at the end of its warranty period.
Then - where from did the info of replacing SD-60 clutches every 600h come from? It seems strange that the new drives are so short lived (on Sd-50 there is a instruction in the manual to perform lapping of the cones every 500h).
__________________
Mark, S/Y Bat-Yam
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 09:51   #30
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 11
Re: New Yanmar SD 60 Saildrive

Yes, I did contact my rep at Catco in Ft Lauderdale. He was clear that I must go through my local rep in the BVI. You were fortunate that your boat sales rep took care of you. Getting Catco to help out after the sale is like pulling teeth. I should know, I'm a dentist.
My list of items that should have been replaced/repaired that never were is lengthy. Ultimately, there is less stress just getting my management company in the BVI to take care of it.
__________________

__________________
TouchOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, saildrive, yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volvo engine with saildrive vs Yanmar engine with saildrive dave cooper Propellers & Drive Systems 25 30-04-2015 18:27
Yanmar SD 20 Saildrive- In Gear While Sailing ? Ram Propellers & Drive Systems 8 21-07-2014 04:46
Saildrive or Not to Saildrive? Sid22 Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 23-11-2009 15:55
Yanmar SD 20 Saildrive- props? Ram Propellers & Drive Systems 1 13-04-2007 08:30
Looking- Yanmar saildrive prop Ram Propellers & Drive Systems 3 26-02-2007 19:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.