Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 17:17   #1

Boat: 1980 Creekmore 45'
"New" boat - Transmission in forward, thrust in reverse...

I recently purchased a 1980 Creekmore 45' that has yet to be completed and was just launched for the first time last October. The other day I finished hooking up the engine controls and drivetrain to see if everything was working and sure enough it wasn't... When I put the transmission in forward I had reverse thrust and vice versa. At first I thought that I had hooked up the controls wrong, but I triple checked and that was all correct. Here is how everything is set up:

Westerbeke W80 reverse mounted into a Velvet Drive C71 (Model 10-17-004, Ratio 1:1) then to a Walter RV-20 V-Drive (Ratio 2.56:1) and finally into a West Mekan AS Type 40 HV3 Controllable Pitch Prop setup (no, it doesn't go far enough to reverse the thrust; I checked). All of these have zero hours on them and were just connected for the first time on Monday, with the exception of the engine which was started about once a month since the 80's.

I have been able to find manuals and specs online for everything except the West Mekan prop assembly. I believe it is Dutch or Scandinavian or something. From everything I have read it sounds like everything is working properly, but I just have the wrong V-Drive. I see that there is an RV-20 available with an idler gear to reverse the prop direction, but that is not the one I have. The only thing is that the original owner of the boat seemed to plan everything out meticulously and to exact specifications, so this seems like a very unlikely oversight.

I know I can't run it in reverse to get forward thrust, and I can't think of any other solution except swapping out the V-Drive. Can anyone with some more experience tell me if there is something else I am missing in terms of this setup? I just don't want to switch out the original parts to find out that there was some other setting I could have put things in to make it work properly.

Also, has anyone ever heard of the type of West Mekan setup I have or know where I could find some literature on it? I emailed the company directly, but never received a response.
Creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 21:44   #2

Re: "New" boat - Transmission in forward, thrust in reverse...

Is that prop available in LH and RH rotation? Are there any markings near the blade root signifying "LH" or "RH," usually with the whole series of numbers.

Your engine appears to take a LH prop.

If you start the engine and put in forward, is the output of the 71C the same direction as the engine? How about the output of the V-drive?
dannobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 08:26   #3

The engine and transmission are both in the same direction when in forward, which is LH rotation as viewed from the BACK of the engine. This is reversed by the V-Drive which results in the propshaft turning in RH rotation (as viewed from the stern). I have never seen the boat out of the water so I can't comment on the prop numbers, but I got the attached image from the previous owner. I also attached the only documentation I have on the prop setup. Since the prop is feathered It is hard to tell which way it is supposed to rotate.

Apparently some of the current West Mekan props come with a direction reversing unit as well, so I am really hoping to get some more info on that. So far I still haven't heard back from the contacts that I emailed there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creeky Prop Picture.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	60098   Click image for larger version

Name:	West Mekan AS Type 40 HV3 Controllable Pitch Prop Schematic_Page_1.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	60099  

Old 29-04-2013, 08:44   #4

sounds like wrong rotation prop. Are you positive the transmission is cabled correctly and not backwards?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 09:46   #5

Yes, I am 100% positive the transmission cabling is correct. I just want to make sure I rule out any possible things I might be overlooking before I change out the V-Drive to match the prop.
Old 29-04-2013, 10:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have a very similar setup, Westerbeke diesel to a Velvetdrive 71C to a Walter V-drive. I don't think the V-drive or transmission reverses the direction of rotation and I have a left handed prop on my boat.

First thing to do is check the prop specs and the direction it is built to rotate.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 11:12   #7

skipmac, do you know which model v-drive you have and whether or not it has an idler gear?
Old 29-04-2013, 11:54   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeky View Post
skipmac, do you know which model v-drive you have and whether or not it has an idler gear?
I'm pretty sure it's a 26 and pretty sure it does not have an idler gear. Will have to pull out my notes or go by the boat to get the details.

Will check it out later today and confirm.
Old 29-04-2013, 12:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK I was able to confirm one detail. My engine is a W58 and as you face the front of the engine IE the end with the pulley's and water pump and in boats with a v-drive looking toward the bow of the boat, then the engine rotates counter clock wise. I have a left handed prop that also rotates CCW as you face the bow of the boat.

On mine when the tranny is in forward I definitely go forward.

Hope that helps some.
Old 29-04-2013, 12:16   #10

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

There are two ways to resolve this problem. I think, but you need to confirm, that the Velvet Drive transmission can use either "forward" or "reverse" gear for the primary dirve. So just swap the controls around.

The other way is to get an opposite hand prop.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 13:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another suggestion, call Walter. They are very helpful and will be able to tell you all about your exact v-drive IF you have the SN. It will be on a little brass plate on the top or side of the drive. Without the SN your drive does not exist as far as Walter is concerned. With the number they can be your best friend and will know if that drive has the idles gear to reverse rotation, etc.
Old 30-04-2013, 08:15   #12

Thanks skipmac. I emailed Walter but have not heard back yet. I'll try to find some time to give them a ring this week. Based on what you confirmed with your setup I'm afraid I may need to swap out the V-Drive...

Thanks everyone for your advice. If anyone else has any more please feel free to provide it.
Old 30-04-2013, 09:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeky View Post
Thanks skipmac. I emailed Walter but have not heard back yet. I'll try to find some time to give them a ring this week. Based on what you confirmed with your setup I'm afraid I may need to swap out the V-Drive...

Thanks everyone for your advice. If anyone else has any more please feel free to provide it.
Not sure about email but I did very well reaching someone with a phone call. Also, and I'm strictly guessing here, it may be possible to just add an idler gear to your existing Walter to reverse direction. I don't think they make completely separate models for opposite rotations.
Old 30-04-2013, 10:31   #14

Looking at the picture of your prop it reminded me of my max prop. Every haul out I have to take that prop apart and apply grease to the internal gears and then reassemble. I have to be careful on the reassembly to make sure that the gears are set up for right hand rotation rather than left. I know that you do not have a max prop, but it does look like a feathering prop and possibly the PO put that prop back together wrong.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission