Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2019, 17:38   #1

Boat: Farrier 43x
Most reliable feathering propeller

Our 45ft Farrier catamaran has lombardini saildrives and kiwi self feathering props. As per lots of forums we’re having reversing issues (I think partially caused by failed propspeed anti foul after 4 months).
Is there a genuinely reliable feathering propeller available for offshore cruising or should I be just sacrificing speed and noise and getting fixed props ?
I’d love long term real boat tests
Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏
Tumblewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 18:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Most reliable feathering propeller

I believe Autoprops to be reliable. Many years ago apparently a few spit blades, but that was long ago with a completely different design.
However as with anything you do have to maintain them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 18:27   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Our boat has had Max-Prop Easy (3 blade) since 2013. We’ve had the boat since 2017. Reverse is as effective as forward. The Max-Prop uses shaft torque via a differential gear to open the blades, so there’s no lag apparent when changing between forward and reverse.

But if you just think it’s the Prop Speed causing problems with your existing feathering props (did the reverse rollers get painted?), clean it all off, ensure your props are properly greased, and just try manipulating the blades by hand. The Kiwiprop site has an independent report from 2009 that shows not so good in reverse. But is that important enough to go to the hassle and expense of changing props?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 18:54   #4

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

We're satisfied with our Max Prop Classic 3 blade. Good forward and reverse.

Cheers,
Old 19-05-2019, 18:56   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe Autoprops to be reliable. Many years ago apparently a few spit blades...
"A few..." Bwahahahaha!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 18:58   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Having installed and maintained many, MANY Max Props over the last couple of decades, my opinion is that the Classic is as reliable and robust a piece of equipment as you can install on your boat.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 19:03   #7

I have used Max Props on two boats for 15 years and well over 50K miles. Never once had a problem, and can't imagine what kind of problem they could have. The are solid and robust.

Autoprops do work and are a clever idea, but they tend to be much more sensitive to fouling. Since each blade needs to adjust its pitch separately, if one blade is fouled slightly more than the others it takes a different pitch, and vibration and poor performance results.

IMHO, Autoprops are MARGINALLY better for people who expect to motor a lot, and that is fine. Feathering props like the MaxProp are MARGINALLY better for people who expect to sail a lot, and that is fine too. The differences between the two are small. If I had a boat with a Maxprop I would never dream of switching to an Autoprop, and vis versa, no matter my sailing style.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 19:11   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually for those that motor a lot, nothing beats a well designed fixed prop.
The Autoprops sweet spot if you will is motor sailing. I find mine to not be as good in pure motoring, especially in beating into wind and waves as my fixed prop was, but in light winds or of I’m in a hurry, cranking the motor and just 1000 RPM will take me from five kts to over seven.
A feathering or fixed prop takes more than that to just equal boat speed.

Different tools
Old 19-05-2019, 19:18   #9

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

My boat has had a MaxProp since some time in the 90's. I've had my boat for nearly three years now, and I learned how to drive an adjustable prop on her. My last boat was a two bladed fixed.
Let's say, my learning curve is fairly flat sloped i.e. long.
The prop is Still going strong.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 19:24   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...but in light winds or of I’m in a hurry, cranking the motor and just 1000 RPM will take me from five kts to over seven.
A feathering or fixed prop takes more than that to just equal boat speed.

Different tools
That is strange. My Maxprop does very well motor sailing, certainly better than what you state.

I've been very happy with the Max Prop 3 blade classic I have. In particular, it's bite in reverse is ferocious which is great for Capt. Ron maneuvers pulling into slips and fuel docks in high winds and currents. The thing digs a hole in reverse, no doubt. It's very well machined and designed and with proper care should last a really long time.

If you're concerned about any prop failing to feather/fold due to growth, you should "exercise it" once a week or so if you're in a high growth area...just putting the boat in gear forward and reverse at the dock, or reverse at anchor, and run it for a minute. Helps keep the growth off but is not a complete cure.

Regarding PropSpeed, I've had it last years and I've had it fail in months. According to my research it's a matter of contamination of the primer and coating, which require very careful clean up and storage of the cans from application to application. A kit will do quite a few props, but as you get towards the end of the kit contamination can lead to coating failure in short order. It does not pay to buy and apply it yourself as a result. but neither does it pay to have a pro do it when they are getting down to the bottom of their cans.
Old 19-05-2019, 19:36   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You have not tried an Autoprop to compare it against.
The only reason an Autoprop works so well for motorsailing is that it’s a variable pitch prop. It works by centripetal force driving the blades flat reducing pitch, and induced water flow driving the pitch to increase.
So that the thrust the prop will produce at the same RPM is the same regardless of boat speed, it functions as a CVT in a car does.

Any prop that has a fixed pitch setting is the same as driving a car with a single gear, so if you have excessive force against you your overpropped, and if your motorsailing, your underpropped.

It is sensitive to fouling, but a prop is easy to clean. I’ve never tried prop speed etc., I just scrape my prop every so often.

Reverse wise, nothing can match an Autoprop because the blades flip around and the leading edge of the prop is still the leading edge.
A normal prop blade when in reverse swaps leading and trailing edge so therefore it doesn’t work as well in reverse.
The feathering props like a Maxprop work well in reverse as the blades are just flat plates, they have no aerodynamic profile or blade twist.
I can’t find it in writing but it’s my understanding that the Autoprop was designed as a prop for WWII as a prop that could get a landing craft off of the beach as it’s just as effective in reverse as forward, assuming transmission ratios are the same.
This shows how it reverses
https://youtu.be/_pkrxZwI2_Y
Old 19-05-2019, 19:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Found it in writing.
It was a WWII design for landing craft.
https://kingpropulsion.com/autoprop/
Old 19-05-2019, 20:22   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, it depends somewhat on what you mean by "reliable".

Max props have a big fan club in the USA, and lots of users. However, if you search through the pages of CF, you will find numerous posts mentioning having their Max props rebuilt after only a thousand hours or so, due to wear in the gears or housings. The PYI folks do a good job of these rebuilds, but it ain't cheap, and it's kinda a nuisance having to send your prop off for rework.

On the other hand (and yes, this is a N of one), we put an Auto-Stream three blade feathering prop on our previous boat. When we sold the boat years later, the prop had over 4000 hours on it and NO perceptible wear. It's design included quick and easy in the water pitch adjustment, both Fwd and Rev, and underwater greasing access, also quick and easy. We never had a problem with feathering or reversing... it just worked, and with no fancy footwork when shutting down. A quick bang into rev after stopping the engine and it feathered instantly. As far as performance motoring, I think all feathering props, with their flat blades, are pretty similar in similar sizes.

So, if you meant long and trouble free service life when you said "reliability", I'd look beyond the Max. Ohhh.... the Auto Stream was quite a bit less expensive, too, at least in ~1995 when we bought it.

Jim
Old 19-05-2019, 21:24   #14

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I’ve had a MaxProp 3 blade classic since new in 2003. I had it rebuilt in 2014 - 11 years and 1271 hours. Cost was around $750 including shipping. I haven’t had anything else to compare it to, but have been happy with the MaxProp.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 21:58   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I’ve had a MaxProp 3 blade classic since new in 2003. In 2014 - I had it rebuilt i years and 1271 hours. Cost was around $750 including shipping. I haven’t had anything else to compare it to, but have been happy with the MaxProp.
Exactly the point i was addressing in my post above. To me, rebuild after only 1271 hours is not good reliability or service.

Other opinions may differ!

Jim

Tags
propeller, rope