Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2014, 12:14   #46

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Max Prop or Not?

We have also been very happy with our Autoprops. We had one on our previous boat for ~8 years (I think), and ~2 years on our current boat.

Our experience switching from a MaxProp to an Autoprop is similar to Loredo's: in calm conditions we go fast at low RPM. We can motorsail at just above idle. In rougher conditions, pitching into a steep swell, we don't cavitate and go more like 3 knots instead of 1/2 a knot.

Old 25-11-2014, 00:22   #47

Boat: Sun Odyssey 49

Of course the prop will never pay for itself by saving fuel!
Less noise and extended range is what I was mostly after. The motor sailing experience went beyond my wildest dreams.

Getting rid of the rattling noise of the Maxprop with play in the blades is bonus also.

Loredo

Old 25-11-2014, 02:15   #48
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

I have just installed an H6 Autoprop on my boat, in replacement of the 3 blade MaxProp Classic. To be sure, I was very happy with the MaxProp, particularly thanks to its low drag under sail. The reason I decided to switch to the Autoprop are very well described by Loredo hereabove. I expect (hopefully this will be validated when the boat goes back in the water next week) better motoring performance all around (higher speed, lower fuel consumption, etc..). One thing to note, though, is that the Autoprop is significantly heavier than the 3 blade MaxProp classic, and I don't know if this extra weight will have an impact on accelerating wear on the cutlass bearing, but past reports from Autoprop owners do not seem to indicate this eventuality.
Old 25-11-2014, 04:01   #49

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

You may be referring to me when you mention an Oyster owner with an Autoprop. Like others here, I've had both a Maxprop and an Autoprop on my boat. If you want to see a full report on the difference, see this thread Autoprop vs. Maxprop - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums. Sorry to direct you to another forum, but it's a much shorter thread than the various ones on this subject here so you can get to the point quicker.
Old 25-11-2014, 05:59   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Phoenician,
Please post your initial impressions when you get them.
Old 25-11-2014, 06:09   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

athene,
Yes it was you, for some reason there just isn't much info out there about the autoprop, although it's not a new design or a just launched product.
Any changes in your observations?
Old 25-11-2014, 07:00   #52

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
athene,
Yes it was you, for some reason there just isn't much info out there about the autoprop, although it's not a new design or a just launched product.
Any changes in your observations?
Not really. For my money, it beats the Maxprop in every respect except for slow speed manoeuvering. I had to learn to trade off the immediate bite of the Maxprop against the reduced propwalk of the Brunton. The only other downside is the bearings replacement interval of 1,000 hours, although that isn't excessive for the average sailing yacht (I reckon it will be 5-8 years before ours need replacement).

Against that, the fuel savings, reduced engine wear and improved motorsailing performance are still as good as in my earlier report.

GORDON
Old 25-11-2014, 09:00   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
. . . The only other downside is the bearings replacement interval of 1,000 hours, although that isn't excessive for the average sailing yacht (I reckon it will be 5-8 years before ours need replacement). . .

GORDON
Note that you can send Autoprops back to the factory for an overhaul. They replace all of the moving parts and check all the clearances, and check the balance. It's a great service and not much more expensive than just buying the parts (the bearings unfortunately are very expensive). I did that two years ago when I did my refit.

You can also do it yourself -- I bought all the special tools directly from Brunton (they are not that expensive). Maybe makes sense if you are someplace far away from the UK.

H6 Anodes, spare parts and tools

One think I find irritating is the anodes -- they are expensive and poorly designed, with only a thin bit of zinc around the screws. So one tip to all you new Autoprop owners -- take some propeller wax and smear it on the screw bosses of the anode, so that these spots don't wear prematurely, with the result that your anode falls off (don't ask me how I know about this ).

I think someone makes an adapter to use some kind of inexpensive standard anode -- might be worth looking into.
Old 25-11-2014, 09:13   #54
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think someone makes an adapter to use some kind of inexpensive standard anode -- might be worth looking into.
I shouldn't be encouraging anybody to buy an Autoprop but...

Autoprop Anode Adapter | Islers Diving
Old 12-12-2014, 17:02   #55

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

A folding/feathering prop will make more difference in sailing speed than any new sail. I have had max prop on four boats and love them. The biggest advantage for me is how the boats handle in reverse. Don't know about others but the key is proper sizing and pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-12-2014, 23:53   #56

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I've heard some people use nail polish to protect zincs around the screws.
Old 14-12-2014, 21:10   #57

Boat: gozzard 44

I've tried a black marker on a whim. Didn't help as zincs don't necessarily decay from the surface. I believe the zincs are now made beefier around the screw holes.

Ronbo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: