Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 13:12   #1

Boat: IRWIN CITATION 34
Loose prop shaft

When I had my 34 Irwin hauled out for winter storage, the marina employee told me I had a loose prop shaft. He was about 250 lbs and was pushing and pulling obit. He commented that I prob need a new strut bearing as a result. I am "only 200lbs" and had difficulty getting any movement when I checked it later. I did see that the support bracket from the hull to the prop shaft was cracked however. I have worked with Fiberglas and planned to cloth and resin that area in the spring to strengthen. I just received the marina estimate for repair at $1400. Bearing $99, remove and replace bearing $680,fiberglass materials and labor $660. I had no vibration or other indications of a problem- thoughts?
bob mundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 14:07   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: Loose prop shaft

My shaft was worn, possibly from my stuffing box being too tight. Replacing the worn shaft fixed the wiggle.

I don't know how your boat is set up, but replacing my shaft and cutlass bearing took only a few hours. Those estimates seem kind of high. Plus you should do it yourself anyway - that way at least you'll know what corners the installer cut.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 16:10   #3

Boat: IRWIN CITATION 34

Thx sun and moon- you inspired me to do some reading. Google Strutpro- they have a neater "puller" tool for sale. I will inspect my shaft bearing closer next spring and decide if this needs to be done. Bob
bob mundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 16:22   #4

There is often some play in the shaft to Cutlass fit... so be careful he isn't "selling" something you don't need.
It sounds like the Cutlass is inside a strut, these can be pretty easy sometimes.... But if your rudder is in the way of removing the prop shaft, maybe not.. it can be done without removing with the right tools and expertise. You might ask him his process..... and also ask for the total to remove the shaft and the cost of a new one just in case.... once he's got a "hook in you" it's too late...
If the boat sits quite a bit, when the shaft is out look it over good.... you may find it is pitted where the stuffing box is... so then you need a new shaft also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote