Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 12:09   #1

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47
Locking Saildrive Shaft for prop removal

Hi,

I have Gori propellors on SeaProp60 saildrives, driven with Beta Marine 38HP diesels.

I have to remove the props to install new zincs on the saildrives. Part of the process is to apply CCW torque on the prop hub while the shaft is locked.

I have put the engine into gear (fwd) so that when I rotate the prop hub CCW, I'm turning the engine over (I think. There's resistance). But the resistance is not very great, and not enough to break the prop hub free (yes, I removed three 5mm allen head screws first).

Any ideas, short of filling the cylinders with water (joke)?
Do I need a long socket wrench on the crank nut?

Thanks,
/John

torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Locking Saildrive Shaft for prop removal

The low resistance is weird , but why you don't use someone to hold propeller as you unscrew?? If it to hard try to hammer it a little bit to brake whatever build up on the threads.

gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:21   #3

Gmakhs, the whole prop & hub (all but the saildrive leg) rotates. That's why I need to lock the shaft - it's the part that will hold all. At least I think so, this is my first time, and my boat is in the water so I'm diving it. But you may be correct. I will try again.
Old 24-06-2018, 12:35   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Wow, Ive never needed more than the engine in gear. Surprised you can turn it over from the prop end. Maybe a helper at the engine with a big wrench on the shaft nut.

Ive taken props off in the water several times on my boat and others, no problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:39   #5

Yes, I tried fwd and rev, both about the same resistance, just different directions.

With the aid of a hammer and a firm grip on the prop, I got the retaining ring to loosen and was able to remove the prop and hub.

The next thing to remove is the rubber hub coupling, which is retained by a shaft nut. Unfortunately, without the prop to hold, I could not get enough purchase even holding the rubber coupling with a strap wrench.

So, back together it went. I need to consult with someone that has done this before.

Thanks for the replies!
/John
Old 24-06-2018, 22:16   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I would not wish to put all that torque through the drive chain, it could do damage to the clutch in particular. The best way is to restrain the hub either a bar with a clamp round the hub for feather props or a bar with two dogs with rubber sleeved which engages the root of the prop blades for fixed or folders. The latter is what the yard use for our props for changing the saildrive seals.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 08:51   #7

I have a Volvo saildrive with a 4 blade folding propeller. This is what I do: open the propeller blades then put a block of wood between one of the blades and the bottom of the hull. If the distance between the tip of the blade and the bottom of the hull is too great, put a piece of wood between one of the blades and the leg of the saildrive. In either case, hold the block with one hand and use your other hand to turn the wrench.
nickorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:42   #8

Boat: Dufour 385

yep likewise block of wood between the top of the prop and hull
ballvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:42   #9

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

If none of those ideas work, consider using an impact wrench, electric or air driven rather than the manual hammer wrench
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 11:39   #10
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Bug View Post
If none of those ideas work, consider using an impact wrench, electric or air driven rather than the manual hammer wrench
That was my thought exactly until I read the part about the vessel being in the water.
Old 25-06-2018, 12:06   #11

Boat: GibSea 472

Have you tought of using an impact(electric or air) driver to remove this bolt?. Impact driver put very little torque on the bolt.I have used this trick to undo an stuborn crankshaft bolt. Worked nicely!.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 13:24   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Po...vZc28cZ1z140i3
Old 25-06-2018, 20:55   #13

So, Rapanui has the best approach for my situation. The reason is because: a) I'm in the water, so impact wrenches are not an option, b) the cone clutch in the transmission only locks up with there is a torsion load so a breaker bar on the crankshaft doesn't work c) the in-gear solution likewise won't work due to clutch slip, d) it's a saildrive, so there are no exposed shafts to put a pipewrench upon, e) you cannot lock the prop against the hull because I've already removed the prop and now I'm working on the remaining rubber coupling held in by the shaft nut, f) a strap-wrench on the rubber coupling slipped before the nut came loose.

If you doubt the transmission explanation, I got that from Beta Marine. They were quite clear that it would not work, and would only put wear upon the cone clutch.

Many thanks for the suggestions! No doubt the impact wrench combined with a strap wrench would work of the boat were on the hard.
Old 25-06-2018, 23:09   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

It sounds like you need to make up a bar with a clamp that secures the hub, something like an oversized oil filter removal tool with a flat steel pipe clamp perhaps lined with rubber not to damage the hub.
Good luck

Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, sail, saildrive