Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 06:00   #1

Boat: Morgan 41 OI
Leaking Rudder Stuffing Box

On my 1977 morgan I get a persistent leak at the rudder stuffing box. I have replaced the flax with everything on the market. I have discovered the threads on the post were cross threaded by a prior. Any ideas ?
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:11   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Leaking Rudder Stuffing Box

Replacement of the stuffing box if the obvious solution if the rudder shaft is unscored and smooth and not bent. Close examination of the threads on the main body of the stuffing box should reveal if those thread are undamaged or compromised. If they are okay than finding a new undamaged replacement nut is an option.
- - To guard against a serious situation should the rudder be lost or seals fail I built a "sea chest" out of plywood and fiberglassed it so that any water leakage/flooding would be contained in the sea chest and not flood the ship. A simple automatic small bilge pump placed in the sea chest removes any accumulating water due to leakage until I can replace the whole bearing/seal assembly.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:38   #3

Boat: Watkins 29'

Maybe we could use something like this to cut those fouled threads off.

Dremel Projects and Community Projects Detail
Old 14-04-2011, 19:09   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

If you have enough room/patience try using a small triangular file and go around the threads....keeping the edge of the file in the groove....it is tedious as all get out.......this was taught to me by a 70 something Port Engineer....it may work
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:49   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

IMHO if the threads on the post and not the nut are shot, pull the boat and replace the post fitting and nut fitting. If only the nut threads are crossed up, you can get away with dropping the rudder using a halyard block, disconnecting the quadrant on top of the rudder post and sliding the rudder down so the nut clears the top of the rudder post and QUICKLY replace the seizing nut over the rudder post. Not sure how the Morgan rudder is configured. If the rudder sits on an extension of the skeg, it will be easier to pull the boat to affect the repair. If the rudder is free hung, you may be able to do it in the water. Don't tighten the nut until you have attached the upper quadrant and repacked the gland. Easy-Peasy but you may take on a bit of water.
Personally, I would pull the boat and replace the whole assembly... then you have no worries. hope this helps... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, rudder