Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 05:43   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
L & S steering ram rebuild

I recently bought a used Leopard catamaran that has a pair of Lecombe & Schmitt hydraulic steering rams (model VHM 40 DTP). The port ram is leaking oil from the "non-rudder" end and I now have the rebuild kit containing a handful of seals and O-rings. Has anyone ever done this rebuild? I can’t find any instructions on the internet on how it all comes apart and the parts vendor was no help.
Ed

M/Y DoodleBug
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 10:36   #2

Boat: Aquarius 23' and a 17' Kit bass boat
Re: L & S steering ram rebuild

Without knowing or seeing it but have rebuilt many hydraulic rams and pistons I'll generalize it.

You will need a gland nut wrench or a well placed pipe wrench will work just dont wile a clamp to tight or you will crush the cylinder. I use a pipe vise at my job. Wich is just a chain wrench. You have your gland nut on top where the ram or Chrome rod comes out. There you have a wiper seal which is the first seal, then you have your packing gland in there and maybe a spacer. Some have one there some do not. As you pull your rod out of the cylinder you have another gland. Some are welded to the shaft some are not. If not welded the nut usually is tight so it does not come loose. Under that gland if it is not welded there many times is a o ring. On that gland you have your bearing (a hardened seems like plastic almost full ring with a split in it) there you also have a packing seal and most times a spacer with that packing seal. Sometimes a pia to get back in the cylinder without pining the seal or spacer. Use electrical tape first to compress the seals on the gland and use vasoline instead of grease to install the gland back into the cylinder. Also while having the rod out check the chrome if scoured or really nicked you may want to inquire about getting it rechromed if real bad. Of looks good take a 3m scruff pad and on the chrome scuff up the rod as to have just a light non directional finish so you do not wipe out your packing seal in the gland nut. You don't want to grovethe rod but lightly scuff the chrome rod.
mynameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:18   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

call or email Phil @ PYI inc in california. They are the L&S dealers. Phil is a great help and will guide your rebuild.

bg
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:40   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

It's very easy if it's not to corroded. The orings and seals go in easy. The hard ring that goes in the center is a bit unnerving as it seems like your going to break it. Make sure your shaft is not pitted from lack of use, if it is the rebuild kit will be a waste of money. The rebuild kits are a bit spendy

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:57   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Second the Phil at PYI. If that proves too expensive, consider the Accu-Steer rams in Bellingham, WA (OEM suppliers to many companies).
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild, steering