Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 04:31   #1

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
kanzaki KM5A gearbox.

Hi all.
My Carbineer 46 has a Yanmar 4LH-DTE coupled to a Kanzaki KM5A gearbox. I gather the gear box is mechanical rather than hydraulic but I may be wrong . I have a fixed prop & when I want to shut the engine down and use sail only i have been turning up into wind slowing to 3 knots then engaging reverse. This stops the prop freewheeling. Lately i have read a lot of reports that say Yanmar gearboxes should be left in neutral. Now this causes a lot of noise & I'm not sure if the gear box is getting lubricated. Most of these reports relate to sail drives. I have googled and searched & cant find what is the correct procedure for my gearbox. Now i am aware that a spinning prop causes less drag & that a shaft brake could be fitted. I will look into the shaft brake but in the meantime if anyone knows for sure what is the correct procedure please let me know. Now most of the time I motor sail so i would not have caused any damage to date but I am intending to relax , slow down , sail more & save my Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1466422236.826929.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	126598

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 02:02   #2

Re: kanzaki KM5A gearbox.

Well I emailed Kanzaki & I was pleasantly surprised to get a reply within 24 hrs. Th verdict is to leave it in neutral. This takes pressure off the cone clutch. Now I don't like the prop spinning so I'm looking at a feathering prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-06-2016, 19:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Well I emailed Kanzaki & I was pleasantly surprised to get a reply within 24 hrs. Th verdict is to leave it in neutral. This takes pressure off the cone clutch. Now I don't like the prop spinning so I'm looking at a feathering prop.

We have a three-blade MaxProp on our Pacific Seacraft. It's excellent. Not only do you get the feathering (and thus far less drag), but you can choose the pitch setting that best fits the type of motoring you do. Ours is set to give us 10mpg! Oh, and it has better power in reverse than a fixed propeller. Maintenance is simple: grease it during haulouts, and of course clean it like any prop. (No, I don't own stock in Maxprop!)

--
Our 2004 Pacific Seacraft 37 is for sale. Asking $169,000.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-165580.html
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 02:56   #4

Thanks,
I had a look at the Gori folding prop on Thursday & picked up a Maxprop brochure as well. The Gori has the advantage of the extra 20% pitch if you engage reverse the go directly into forward . This can reduce engine revs considerably in calm eeather motor sailing. Nice piece of engineering & the price is competitive at the moment.

Old 27-06-2016, 00:48   #5

Have you looked at our solution ?
EWOL Props are highest in technology, top notch in materials, finest pitch setting and competitive in price.
Have a look at our website www.ewoltech.com

Quote:

EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 01:26   #6

I had a look at your site but you don't have a distributer in Australia unfortunately. With the Gori I was able to look & touch a mounted display sample in the distributers showroom. He was able to demonstrate how it worked & the overdrive feature. I couldn't find much technical information on your site but you are welcome to email more info to me. My shaft size is approximately 50 mm and engine 180 hp.
Mike

Old 27-06-2016, 01:57   #7

You are right, we do not have yet a distributor in Australia. We are continuously looking to additional distributors in uncovered countries. However we have aready sold to some few customers in Australia mostly boat owners. One famous shipyard we have worked with is "The Boat Works" in Coomera - Queensland.

Anyway I will contact you privately as you suggested.

Quote:
I had a look at your site but you don't have a distributer in Australia unfortunately. With the Gori I was able to look & touch a mounted display sample in the distributers showroom. He was able to demonstrate how it worked & the overdrive feature. I couldn't find much technical information on your site but you are welcome to email more info to me. My shaft size is approximately 50 mm and engine 180 hp.
Mike

Old 27-06-2016, 02:09   #8

Im only 500 meters from the Boat Works in Coomera . Do you know who engineers who fitted them.

Old 27-06-2016, 02:54   #9

Very good !
You can speak with Craig Humphries and write to info@signatureyachtservices.com
The supplied boat is Kato, one of the world's fastest commercial catamaran, owned by the CEO of The Boat Works.

Quote:
Im only 500 meters from the Boat Works in Coomera . Do you know who engineers who fitted them.

Old 29-06-2016, 05:31   #10

I found your videos yes it does look a good product & i like the micro pitch adjustment. I didn't realize the Gori was such old technology 1975 & the reviews are not very flattering in performance, longevity & customer service. I will visit the guys at Boat Works tomorrow & will be hauling out in 3 weeks for clean & anti foul. I can get the measurements done then. Whats the shipment time to Australia.
Mike

Old 29-06-2016, 13:04   #11

Very good, I am glad that you like our technology.

Delivery time for props with shaft up to 40 mm is about 2-3 weeks.
Larger diameter of shafts are a different matter, anyway I will write you privately right now.

Quote:
I found your videos yes it does look a good product & i like the micro pitch adjustment. I didn't realize the Gori was such old technology 1975 & the reviews are not very flattering in performance, longevity & customer service. I will visit the guys at Boat Works tomorrow & will be hauling out in 3 weeks for clean & anti foul. I can get the measurements done then. Whats the shipment time to Australia.
Mike

Tags
gear, gearbox, kanzaki