Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2013, 17:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau, 84 First 35
Kanzaki KBW10 lost forward gear

I have a 3jh2e / kbw10 combination on a 84 Beneteau First 35. Does installing the engine close to 10 degree (from the horizontal plane) angle leaves the forward gear clutches closest to the engine to run almost dry and the reverse gear clutches all drowned? The thing is that I lost forward propulsion with less than 2 hrs of use and the reverse engages like a champion. The gearbox was purchased rebuilt. I have not removed the gearbox yet but the procedure is in order. ATF was very dark and replaced the same amount I siphoned out with fresh ATF without improvement. Linkage was disconnected prior to all tests. If gearbox is cold, gear engages sluggishly and stops in about a minute under idle rpm; reverse gear engages like a champion no matter the temperature. No leaks, no water residue on ATF, prop shaft rotates freely. Thanks for the help!
fbuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:08   #2

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Kanzaki KBW10 lost forward gear

these are general comments and I dont know if they apply to your specific gearbox;
1. make absolutely sure your gearbox is supposed to run on atf not oil (although its too late if the clutch is gone, but it will matter after its fixed.) 2. if it has 2 clutches, the forward will wear out, the reverse will probably last forever.(rebuilt?) 3.make sure the gear lever moves to fully engage - if it doesnt this will kill the clutch pretty quick. I bought a boat with all 3 of these problems, after replacing the clutches and seals, replacing the atf with the correct amount of 30wt oil, and setting up the bloody gearlever she now runs perfect. I doubt that 10 degrees would be a problem. Dark atf indicates a burnt clutch (yeah i know thats obvious but thats the info given).
A couple of questions - 2 hours of use - how well did it work? any slipping? How much atf did it have, and how much should it have? how do you know the gearbox was rebuilt?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:36   #3

I bought it at a store in Florida, claimed it as rebuilt. ATF should be .7 L (24 oz) as per attached plate (and the kanzaki site). Since my folding prop is LH, I use the reverse gear as means of forward displacement. Even with a 2.5 ratio, I can reach 6 kn at 2200 rpm.
Right now there is no rotation in the forward gear but in the reverse gear is engaging like a rock with no apparent slip (I used a laser/optical tach to measure rpms at the main pulley and the prop shaft for this purpose). Assuming the clutch packs were the same quality, I can only think an improper alignment of the lever assembly at the gearbox caseside led to premature failure no matter the morse cable was attached or not. At the very beggining, gear shift was solid secure on both gears but eventually the forward gear started to get sluggish and not engaging inmediately. Reverse gear shift sounds solid and secure.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:00   #4

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

interesting - so which clutch isnt working - the reverse clutch you are using via a LH prop to go forward or the forward clutch that should make you go backwards? I dont know if theres a significant qualitative difference between the two clutches (on my gbox they looked pretty similiar), i only know i barely ever use my reverse and maybe using it to actually drive the boat forward may not be a 'best use' practice. Might be worth giving some thought to matching the prop to the gearbox eventually. Whether its any part of the cause of the current problem - beyond me.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 11:06   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Your not the only one with this problem. >>>> I have KANZAKI KBW 10 marine gear. It work backward well but - JustAnswer

From the looks of the picture it looks like an old Herth KBW 10, which do take the ATF. I would say your linkage is out of adjustment.
Have you tried removing the cable and shifting it by hand?

The angle should be OK. My old KBW 15 was at 15º for almost 30 years.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:22   #6

I have not removed the gearbox yet. Since moving the actuator lever towards the front of the sailboat engages the working shift and the shifting cam lobe inside should be facing down in neutral (according to the gearbox drawings), the working clutch must be actuating the reversing gears located closest to the rear of the boat. When I got the sailboat, there was no engine / gearbox, it was a goner. Browsing in the internet and by the green parts I found around the boat, I came to the conclusion it was equipped with a Volvo 21 hp; LH drive. The best thing I could find locally was a 3jh2e for a 1 grand and a RH kbw10 for 1.5 grand. Prop is a duck billed folding, LH. There is no cons on using the gearbox mostly on reverse gear, only that the expense of less speed. In fact, the worn clutch (apparently) is the forward gear which in most of the cases boat owners have problems with this particular gearbox. I can't recall if the gearbox plate specifies ATF or engine oil as an option but is a 2.14 and all are 2.5 on reverse gear. When dismounting the gearbox, I'll do a double check counting the teeth to make sure. Meanwhile, my next concern is where to buy the discs at a fair cost, not stealership cost, once I discover the damage.
Old 30-01-2013, 11:16   #7

Boat: grampian 26

Standard down angles for transmissions is 7 1/2 or 15degrees.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

As others say the angle won't be the problem. I'd suggest the "rebuild"is the problem & you should be taking it up with the seller. They will try & say it's because you are using reverse as forward if you tell them that.
We have been using reverse as forward for a while with no problems in our YSM8's kanzaki gearbox but I know its the same construction for both directions as I've stripped it.
Good luck with getting the seller to repair or refund you
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:09   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Good luck with getting the seller to repair or refund you

Especially now as it is 6+ years since the OP reported the issue and he hasn't logged on since then

Where do you find these old threads
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Especially now as it is 6+ years since the OP reported the issue and he hasn't logged on since then

Where do you find these old threads
Whoops, must check the dates in future, can't remember where i saw it lol.
In a state of nervous tension before RWC semi-final so forgive my blunder
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:20   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Whoops, must check the dates in future, can't remember where i saw it lol.
In a state of nervous tension before RWC semi-final so forgive my blunder
Perfectly understandable!
Let's hope you are celebrating tomorrow
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kanzaki, Kbw10