Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 14:48   #1

J-Prop - How much play is ok?

Hi there We have vibration in our shaft that is causing our lip seal to leak water while under power. The faster we go the more water. We have just had the engine realigned but we do have a Vetus flexible coupling that I know can make alignment much harder.

There is a definite "thump, thump thump" back in the aft cabin. Boat was recently hauled and everything including the cutlass bearing looked fine. My thoughts are either:
  • Bent shaft (ouch)
  • Out of balance prop
  • Loose prop
So that brings me to my question, we have a J-Prop feathering prop which to me had a lot of play when handled at the last haul. Maybe 2-3 mm up / down at the end where the anode goes. Is this bad? The propeller guy we had there said that was normal for them.

Does anyone have an idea regarding this? If the prop was shaking around on the end of the shaft that would explain the vibration and actually be easier to fix than a bent shaft which requires new shaft and lifting the engine out

Thanks for any advice, Steve
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 14:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: J-Prop - How much play is ok?

Is this movement from the main body of the prop moving whilst the shaft remains still?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 15:01   #3

Hi Pete, yes, the main body of the prop against the shaft.
Old 22-06-2016, 23:10   #4

A play of 2-3 mm is a big one, not only you generate vibrations but also you might risk to lose that prop.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 00:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Agreed not good. Has it ever worked okay without vibration?

I guess this isn't the original prop for this yacht. If so has someone put a metric prop on an imperial shaft so taper 1:10 on a 1:12 shaft?

Either way it need sorting. Just done mine but it was the cutlass bearing which failed due to sailing in muddy waters and parking the boat on mud banks when the tide goes goes out.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 00:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
A play of 2-3 mm is a big one, not only you generate vibrations but also you might risk to lose that prop.
Yeah that's what I thought! But the propeller guy said it was normal and we went back in the water on that basis. It may well be normal but I wish I could work our where our vibration issues are coming from so that if we have to haul out we can sort it out. It would actually be cheaper to fit a new fixed prop than have to pull the engine, replace the shaft etc etc

Thanks EWOL
Old 23-06-2016, 00:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed not good. Has it ever worked okay without vibration?

I guess this isn't the original prop for this yacht. If so has someone put a metric prop on an imperial shaft so taper 1:10 on a 1:12 shaft?

Either way it need sorting. Just done mine but it was the cutlass bearing which failed due to sailing in muddy waters and parking the boat on mud banks when the tide goes goes out.
Thanks Pete. No it's not the original prop but it has been on since we bought it and the noise as well. We changed the old traditional seal for a new lip seal type which has now started to leak from the vibration and movement (not the seal's fault). Maybe the previous owners bought a fancy folding prop that didn't fit?
Old 24-06-2016, 08:17   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Yeah that's what I thought! But the propeller guy said it was normal and we went back in the water on that basis. It may well be normal but I wish I could work our where our vibration issues are coming from so that if we have to haul out we can sort it out. It would actually be cheaper to fit a new fixed prop than have to pull the engine, replace the shaft etc etc

Thanks EWOL
Not to be a SA but several have said that amount of play isn't normal and probably IS the cause of the vibration and thumping. I think I would start there as it seems obvious.

Now my dumb question of the day: Since a lot of folks keep their fixed prop as a spare with putting on something fancy, can you find it stowed away somewhere and put it back on without pulling the vessel? If so you might have a quick, and free, answer to the issue of too much play..
Old 24-06-2016, 15:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Not to be a SA but several have said that amount of play isn't normal and probably IS the cause of the vibration and thumping. I think I would start there as it seems obvious.

Now my dumb question of the day: Since a lot of folks keep their fixed prop as a spare with putting on something fancy, can you find it stowed away somewhere and put it back on without pulling the vessel? If so you might have a quick, and free, answer to the issue of too much play..
Yes I do have an old prop in the bilge but is huge about 24inch diameter. Haulout booked for next Friday
Old 30-06-2016, 23:45   #10

We think we have found the problem! The feathering propeller is loose!

Can we beg some advice? It looks like the thread length is too long. The manual states maximum thread length of 27mm to fit the propeller. I'm pretty sure ours is 27.5mm and the retaining nut is bottoming out on the end of the shaft, stopping it from being tight on the taper!

Do you think there is a problem in grinding or cutting 1 or 2mm's off the end of the shaft?

Old 01-07-2016, 00:33   #11

Some shafting has to be modified going from a fixed prop to feathering depending on the brand, yours may have already been cut down but not enough. A fixed blade shaft would have taper with keyway threads and most likely a step down straight cut on the end with a hole thru for a cotter pin In the prop nut. With that said it is also common for the keyway to be milled from its set depth up to flush as it run out on the taper at the shaft side. This means the key for the prop is ground to match this run out, if the prop was installed at some point with the key not in the proper position it can move fwd on the shaft lifting up from its correct depth. The propeller would tighten on the shaft but not be making proper contact with the shaft and be loaded only in small places. Running this way will wallow out or deform the ID of the prop hub causing a poor fit. I would highly recommend removing the prop and key and cleaning then do a fit test for proper contact and depth. Use machinist bluing or have a prop shop check. Any repair done now is a lot cheep than a new prop or shaft or worse
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:55   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post

Do you think there is a problem in grinding or cutting 1 or 2mm's off the end of the shaft?
No. This action is a necessity in many Max Prop installations.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 15:00   #13

Ok, thanks guys. I might just ponder it today and do the deed tomorrow. Wish me luck haha
Old 12-07-2016, 15:03   #14

Problem solved :bigg rin:

The prop was incorrectly fitted. There can only be a maximum of 27mm of thread on the end of the shaft. Trimmed carefully (and with a fair bit of terror) the prop now fits perfectly and the boat is transformed!

Very happy and thanks for everyone's help