Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2014, 07:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 473 - named Beyzano
Issues After Prop Shaft Removal

We recently had the rubber cutlass bearing replaced on our Beneteau 473, which involved the removal of the prop shaft and rudder.

Now, back in the water, we have noticed at very low revs there is a high pitched squealing noise and a lot of vibration. Also, when sailing above 6.5 knots, we get the same noise and if we lock the prop we get a resonance through the shaft which is also very loud.

If anyone has any comments, advice or suggestions, we would be grateful as at the moment, it is ruining our sailing and we are worried about further damage to the engine, gearbox etc.

Many Thanks

https://www.beyzano.com
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 08:15   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Issues After Prop Shaft Removal

It sounds like another case of having the yard work on your boat when you are not there.

I'm assuming the cutlass is in a strut, so its not likely that the bearing is running dry--the squeal could be the outside of the bearing turning in its holder. It could be they used the wrong size bearing.

Noise when you lock the shaft is a total mystery.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 08:20   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
It sounds like another case of having the yard work on your boat when you are not there.

I'm assuming the cutlass is in a strut, so its not likely that the bearing is running dry--the squeal could be the outside of the bearing turning in its holder. It could be they used the wrong size bearing.

Noise when you lock the shaft is a total mystery.
The B473 does not have a strut. It should have a through hull and water cooling to the shaft log. Perhaps there's a problem with this.
Old 20-11-2014, 08:21   #4

Thanks for your responses - we will keep investigating!

Old 20-11-2014, 09:12   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
We recently had the rubber cutlass bearing replaced on our Beneteau 473, which involved the removal of the prop shaft and rudder.

Now, back in the water, we have noticed at very low revs there is a high pitched squealing noise and a lot of vibration. Also, when sailing above 6.5 knots, we get the same noise and if we lock the prop we get a resonance through the shaft which is also very loud.

If anyone has any comments, advice or suggestions, we would be grateful as at the moment, it is ruining our sailing and we are worried about further damage to the engine, gearbox etc.

Many Thanks
Do you have a automatic propeller? If one blade was out of whack or stuck, it might cause the cutlass to squeal when turning because of the weird load on the shaft and it would cause a turbulence when stopped which could vibrate the prop shaft. You guy's have skinny prop shafts right?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 11:50   #6

The prop shaft is 30mm but we don't have an automatic prop. It now seems that the engine may be slightly out of alignment with the shaft, causing it to pinch the new cutlass bearing. We have been told it might improve with a few more hours motoring, otherwise we might have to re-align the engine a touch.

Old 24-11-2014, 11:57   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Had this problem before (minus the weird noise with the prop locked....... not sure what that is!). Turned out to be an alignment issue. Can you turn the prop shaft by hand (when it's not in gear!)? If so, and if this is indeed the issue as you say then it's probably not too bad. My noise abated pretty quickly; maybe 10 hours of motoring. Or you can re-align the engine with a couple of feeler-guages.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 12:01   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
The prop shaft is 30mm but we don't have an automatic prop. It now seems that the engine may be slightly out of alignment with the shaft, causing it to pinch the new cutlass bearing. We have been told it might improve with a few more hours motoring, otherwise we might have to re-align the engine a touch.

This sort of problem does not usually correct itself. If it's an engine alignment problem it should be corrected asap.
Old 24-11-2014, 12:04   #9

Yes, we can turn the prop shaft by hand, so fingers crossed it will be OK :-)

Old 11-01-2015, 20:04   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Maybe the prop shaft is touching the packing box, rubbing on it a bit?

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 20:16   #11

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The B473 does not have a strut. It should have a through hull and water cooling to the shaft log. Perhaps there's a problem with this.
+1 Good call, I assume you have checked the stern tube is full of water and the shaft seal has been bled? The water injection point /bleed line might have blocked up since the last slipping.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2015, 20:32   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Just to clarify, you get the same noise, a high pitched squealing, when under sail and the shaft is locked in gear and not turning? Or you just get resonance?

If you're (aside from the resonance) getting the same noise at low RPMs and when the shaft is locked, then it stands to reason that they have the same cause, and it also stands to reason that it has nothing to do with the seal or with alignment. Neither would be the cause if the shaft is not turning.

Are you certain you don't have a feathering prop? If you have a max prop then there is an excellent chance that they took the prop off when they removed the shaft, and to take it off you have to take it apart. There's a remarkably good chance that when they put it together they did not get the pitch of all the blades the same. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of that could be the cause, although the high pitched squeal when underway with the shaft not turning is pretty baffling.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal