Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 11:20   #1

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox
I have a 17" Maxprop purchased about 1999...

Does anyone know if it is adjustable? I dove below, but really didn't know what to look for re adjustments of any kind. The newer ones are adjustable, I believe. Thx is advance.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 11:34   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: I have a 17" Maxprop purchased about 1999...

Yes, but not when in the water if you have never done it on a Classic model. It will depend on which model you have. The Easy and Fast models can be adjusted in the water without disassembly but I do not think they had those models in '99.

You have to disassemble the Classic prop to make any adjustment. It would also require scuba or hookah to do in the water on a very calm day. Not sure I would try this. I have had my 3 blade Classic apart a few times. Many little screws and expensive gears that can disappear if dropped. I am even nervous doing this on the hard with a gravel pad. I usually put a big tupperware storage box under the prop.

If you want to know for sure, call PYI. Here is a diagram of the Classic.

TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Yes, but not when in the water if you have never done it on a Classic model. It will depend on which model you have. The Easy and Fast models can be adjusted in the water without disassembly but I do not think they had those models in '99.

You have to disassemble the Classic prop to make any adjustment. It would also require scuba or hookah to do in the water on a very calm day. Not sure I would try this. I have had my 3 blade Classic apart a few times. Many little screws and expensive gears that can disappear if dropped. I am even nervous doing this on the hard with a gravel pad. I usually put a big tupperware storage box under the prop.

If you want to know for sure, call PYI. Here is a diagram of the Classic.

Tim, thx for the info. Maybe I should a have the fellow that cleans the bottom, remove the prop, and see what we have. I'm with you on those small parts. Don't want to mess with that! Aloha...
Old 19-04-2013, 21:21   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Don't let a diver who is inexperienced with Max Props remove yours. It has to be completely disassembled to remove it, the current pitch will need to be determined during the removal process and any changes to that pitch correctly made during the reinstallation. This is not a job for the average hull cleaner.

Contact PYI for a qualified diver in your area.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 22:50   #5

We are hauling the boat in a few weeks. It shall be done then. Thx for the heads up.
Old 20-04-2013, 04:04   #6

Boat: islandpacket
PYI has good online info. Also a video on how to set it. Watch it alot before tring this. It is a great prop but easy to set wrong.
Old 20-04-2013, 04:10   #7

Boat: islandpacket
If your pulling the boat. Does your motor smoke or not reach full RPM. You may want to reconsider your current settings. Contact pyi they are very helpfull if you have all the info. Boat size weight engine size trans speed.
Old 20-04-2013, 06:14   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeline View Post
Does anyone know if it is adjustable? I dove below, but really didn't know what to look for re adjustments of any kind. The newer ones are adjustable, I believe. Thx is advance.
I don't think the MaxProp VP was made in 1999.

The VP version has a collar, which allows for in water pitch adjustments. It is still painful because it has small allen screws, which lock the collar, but it is doable in water.

As suggested don't try and remove your MaxProp in water unless it is an emergency, there are too many parts!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:22   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
As suggested don't try and remove your MaxProp in water unless it is an emergency, there are too many parts!
No, don't try to remove your Max Prop underwater unless you have the right tools and knowledge. It's a fairly straightforward job for somebody who knows what they are doing.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote