Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 14:02   #1

Boat: 27 Catalina
Hose length for stuuffing box Catalina 27

Heres the deal I have the specs and it calls for 5 inch hose. No problem I have it. I cut the hose around 4 1/2 to offset for some shaft wear. It looks like I need to cut it down to about 4 inchs. What I took out was around that length. Could I go any shorter and not run into a issue with alignment or the log? I really dont have the money for a new shaft and the surface just below the wear ring is perfectly fine.. Any input welcome.
gasngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 14:40   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Hose length for stuuffing box Catalina 27

You could have gone longer also, right. You can always go shorter.
If you bought your hose from a roll of hose instead of a straight piece made just for this job, there is a slight curve from the coil. So the shorter the piece is you use, the less curve it will have. The curve will hold the stuffing at a very slight angle.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 14:53   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasngo View Post
Heres the deal I have the specs and it calls for 5 inch hose. No problem I have it. I cut the hose around 4 1/2 to offset for some shaft wear. It looks like I need to cut it down to about 4 inchs. What I took out was around that length. Could I go any shorter and not run into a issue with alignment or the log? I really dont have the money for a new shaft and the surface just below the wear ring is perfectly fine.. Any input welcome.
I'm taking a guess here by assuming that you have not cut your prop shaft shorter, engine remains in same position. I asume you want to slide back the stuffing box to be able to seal on an unworn part of the shaft?

The bronze stuffing box requires to be a nominal distance from the GRP pipe part of the hull where the prop shaft comes in through from outside and that clearance is what will determine how far you can slide the stuffing box back & how long to cut the hose.

That's how I see it!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:32   #4

Boat: 27 Catalina

The hose is a cut from Buck Alqiun or however you spell it. I could have cut it longer but there is some very slight pitting in that area. Shaft length the same. No motor in the boat yet so I realize that I do have a grey area for measurement. Theres an area sign of wear around the cutlass bearing that should be a good reference on where it will be positioned. The data says a minimum distance from the drive coupling to the stuffing box is 1 1/2 inchs. Im probably under that. By looking at it I think if I was around 3.5 to 3.75 in length of hose I would be right on target. If I screw up I still have the other half of hose to work with. Ill start in small cuts to see what I get.
gasngo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina