Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 19:12   #1

Grounding Shaft with a DriverSaver

Does anyone know how to maintain the continuity between the engine and shaft with a driversaver installed? I have heard of grounding brushes or jumper straps but have not found details on installation. Thanks
Sailnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:17   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Grounding shaft with a drivervsaver

Shaft brushes are usually an "off the shelf" item for chandlers. Basically a 12" long x 1" wide flat bar which attaches to a mounting point on the hull, adjacent to the prop shaft. A heavy carbon brush, mounted on the flat bar, contacts the shaft for continuity, and connects into your bonding system.
Old 11-03-2011, 20:05   #3

I guess it was a matter of knowing the right name. I found lots of references to shaft brushes, rather than grounding brush. Thanks for clarifying. Sailnh
Sailnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:08   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Grounding Shaft with a DriverSaver

Made by Guest # 2436, out of Meriden CT.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:37   #5

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailnh View Post
Does anyone know how to maintain the continuity between the engine and shaft with a driversaver installed? I have heard of grounding brushes or jumper straps but have not found details on installation. Thanks
use standard grounding wire with crimped eyes..also have seen flat braid used...anything that gives a zero ohm reading should work for bonding...jumping up to lightening protection would be a challenge as that's one system that's hard to say when "big" is big enough...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:54   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This is a uk supplier but they probably don't maufacturer it so someone else does. As already suggested, the local chandler should be able to source one for you.

Product Catalogue - Marine Cathodic Protection - MGDUFF
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:32   #7

Boat: Pearson 303 30' Grateful Sailor

You are correct in wanting a ground around the DriverSaver. Years ago a Practical Sailor reader wrote in recommending the benefits of having a DriveSaver. He also added this thought "the slight galvanic action between the prop and shaft will discourage marine growth. Ha! the joke was on me. Several years later when I pulled the boat for a new bottom the yard informed me that I needed a new prop. This five year old bronze prop was pitted and had turned pink.

Along with a new prop, I added strips of copper foil between the steel shaft couplings and haven't had any more issues.

Ken
Ken Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:00   #8

Boat: Taswell 49

If the prop has its own zinc (maxprop) and there is a collar zinc on the shaft what is the benefit or reason for creating continuity between the engine and an the prop/shaft?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:11   #9

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
If the prop has its own zinc (maxprop) and there is a collar zinc on the shaft what is the benefit or reason for creating continuity between the engine and an the prop/shaft?
Some boats ground to the engine. I am installing the R&D shaft saver as part of my refiit, they will supply as an option a little strap to maintain continuity. Hope this helps.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 02:11   #10

Boat: Pearson 303 30' Grateful Sailor

It seems reasonable that the zinc should be enough protection. In my experience it wasn't.
I work for a company that builds lifting equipment for large yachts. One of our produces in a s/s transom platform lift use to raise and lower a jetski or tender into the water. Even though this lift is supplied with a zinc we recommend that lift be bonded to the vessel's bonding system. A major boat builder chose not to do this. Consequently, the lift suffered serious galvanic corrosion. The damage was not covered under warranty.
Ken Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:05   #11

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Even though underwater metals can be somewhat protected by zinc, a proper bonding system will eliminate any electrical potential between objects...which I believe is the root cause of the galvanic action.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 18:35   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I have had a Drivesaver for near-on 15 years and love the things. But to reconnect the engine to the prop shaft I merely ran a short piece of braided copper strap (from an auto parts store) from one bolt on one side to another bolt on the other side. Simple and has worked fine for over 10 years so far.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 11:31   #13

Ok well I guess I will add a wire here and connect the shaft and prop to my DC ground but I have yet to see a really good reason. I do not have a bonding system on my boat and will not add one. All of my through hulls are marelon. I dont understand why these items would need to be connected to the engine block (DC ground) if they have their own anodes? I dont leave my boat plugged in to shorepower except to top off batteries then it gets unplugged. What am I missing here? What does this connection do for me?
Old 21-03-2011, 13:12   #14

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I made my own shaft brushes. I used a piece of brass bar stock silver soldered to a brass hinge. First I tried soldering a piece of bronze on the end of the brass bar stock allowing it to ride on top of the prop shaft. The ground was made to via a length of #12 wire between the bar stock and the boat's ground.

Surprise, surprise! The bronze that rode on the shaft wore so badly after about an hours run, I had to change the design. Version 2...... I replaced the bronze with a pipe like piece of oilite bearing material. I removed quite a bit of material from the center of the the bearing which was about 1" in diameter almost 2" in length. Cutting out the center reduced the amount of weight on the shaft. Used my lathe to cut the center material. Each of my two shafts have these assemblies.

The assembly applies about !/4# pressure on the shaft. Absolutely no visible wear using oilite.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 13:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I made my own shaft brushes. I used a piece of brass bar stock silver soldered to a brass hinge. First I tried soldering a piece of bronze on the end of the brass bar stock allowing it to ride on top of the prop shaft. The ground was made to via a length of #12 wire between the bar stock and the boat's ground.

Surprise, surprise! The bronze that rode on the shaft wore so badly after about an hours run, I had to change the design. Version 2...... I replaced the bronze with a pipe like piece of oilite bearing material. I removed quite a bit of material from the center of the the bearing which was about 1" in diameter almost 2" in length. Cutting out the center reduced the amount of weight on the shaft. Used my lathe to cut the center material. Each of my two shafts have these assemblies.

The assembly applies about !/4# pressure on the shaft. Absolutely no visible wear using oilite.

Foggy

Sounds pretty neaat and all but Why? Im still wondering what all of this actually accomplishes?