Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2006, 09:19   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
gegroves-Gori prop?????

Now that you’ve decided to actually post, I have a few questions for you.
As a folding prop owner soon to be in the market for an up date I’d like to know what actually failed on your Gori prop???

What makes it any different from any other installation???

Did you recover the prop that came off???

Do you have any pictures and/or instructions that would give us an idea of its design???

Your response would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
…………………._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:12   #2

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
Delmarry, et.al,Sorry, but I've been out of the net for a while. We hade to come back to the states and did not have access.a) I cannot say what actually failed on the prop. It spun off the shaft while we were setting our anchor and the diver could not find it in the 65 foot depth muddy bottom.b) I am not familiar with how other folding/feathering props are installed so cannot comment on those. However, my fixed prop is secured with a prop nut and then a slim washer is bent over one of the faces of the nut to prevent it from backing off.c) no.d) I have installation instructions (albeit in Turkey) as soon as I can find out where I can scan them in, I'll post so everyone can see. I also have pictures of the prop on the boat, but they are not very informative as to this problem.

Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:16   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by gegroves
However, my fixed prop is secured with a prop nut and then a slim washer is bent over one of the faces of the nut to prevent it from backing off.
Ahh, clearly you have a French boat

I believe the Gori props are fixed to the shaft by a barrel nut that goes down onto the shaft inside the body of the propeller. Then either a set screw locks down on the side of the nut or cotter pins go through it to fix the nut in place. Saildrive props are a different story.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:12   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Does anyone have installation instructions that even I could read and a schematic of the Gori? I would definitely like to see anything you might have.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegroves
However, my fixed prop is secured with a prop nut and then a slim washer is bent over one of the faces of the nut to prevent it from backing off.c) no.d) I have installation instructions (albeit in Turkey) as soon as I can find out where I can scan them in, I'll post so everyone can see. I also have pictures of the prop on the boat, but they are not very informative as to this problem.
Obviously there are different props available.

If you have pictures that would be great. It would give us a better idea of the prop in question.

A bent washer is not ethical for boat props. I assume you are/were probably unaware of professional mounting procedures and just followed the instructions in ignorance. If the bent washer were in the instructions I would definitely go after Gori. Bent washers are normally used between a two nuts or as bearing sets on stationary shafting (not spinning).

And did the washer have an ear that set into the shaft keyway??? Without the ear the washer would be TOTALY useless.

Thanks for the reply.............................._/)
Old 10-11-2006, 15:02   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha,
Does anyone have installation instructions that even I could read and a schematic of the Gori? I would definitely like to see anything you might have.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
See my post #24 on the thread called Gori prop problem.
Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 16:14   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thanks Steve.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 17:35   #8
Kai Nui

Del, I think you misunderstood. He was talking about his fixed prop with the flat washer. In fact, the "bent washer" is a good lock mechanism, and is fine for a fixed prop, but you are correct about it sounding like a bad idea for the folding prop
Old 10-11-2006, 18:25   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
A bent washer is not ethical for boat props. I assume you are/were probably unaware of professional mounting procedures and just followed the instructions in ignorance. If the bent washer were in the instructions I would definitely go after Gori. Bent washers are normally used between a two nuts or as bearing sets on stationary shafting (not spinning).

And did the washer have an ear that set into the shaft keyway??? Without the ear the washer would be TOTALY useless.
He was referring to the "bent washer" on the fixed-blade prop on his Wauquiez. The Gori props do not use this setup. It is common to French boats with fixed-blade props however and it is a pain in the ass!
Old 10-11-2006, 18:44   #10

The problem with bent washers IS when it is bent the fold in the washer becomes compromised. It can crack and break off, when bending SS, assuming it was SS (bronze doesn't bend without breaking); it creates a work-harden corner or even creates micro fractures. If it were copper I'd trust it a little more but SS, no way.

He said a "thin washer". So a thin washer crushed under a nut, bent 90º, submerged in salt water with cavitation and electrolysis. Hummmmm! Not the best of conditions, I would think.................._/)
Old 10-11-2006, 18:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
He was referring to the "bent washer" on the fixed-blade prop on his Wauquiez. The Gori props do not use this setup. It is common to French boats with fixed-blade props however and it is a pain in the ass!
HUH????
Where do you see the word "Wauquiez"? And one would have to assume he was taking about the old prop since that's what this is all about.

And I'd kick the guy in tha ass if he were to put a bent washer on any boat of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroves
I am not familiar with how other folding/feathering props are installed so cannot comment on those. However, my fixed prop is secured with a prop nut and then a slim washer is bent over one of the faces of the nut to prevent it from backing off.
Old 10-11-2006, 19:08   #12
Kai Nui

Del, bent washers are used in many high stress high RPM applications. As an old Harley guy, I have used them for all sort of things. I understand the question about electrolysis, but it sems to me, under the limited force that a locking washer is exposed to, a washer would be fine. Consider how much metal there is in a cotter pin? It wouldn't be my first choice, but I doubt I would haul the boat just to change it if that was what was there. On gegroves "Wauquiez" 43, it sounds like that is what came from the factory.
Old 10-11-2006, 19:18   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
HUH????
Where do you see the word "Wauquiez"? And one would have to assume he was taking about the old prop since that's what this is all about.

And I'd kick the guy in tha ass if he were to put a bent washer on any boat of mine.
Did you even read his post? He refers to the fixed-blade prop now on his boat since the loss of the Gori prop. If you look at his profile just under his avatar (c'mon, Site Admin!) you'll see that he sails a Wauquiez 43.

Every French boat I have ever been under (and that's a lot) with a fixed-blade prop has this "bent washer" arrangement. I don't think it is a superior method of attaching a prop, but it does work and it is common.
Old 10-11-2006, 19:21   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha,
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Go to the Gori web site for CAD/CAM drawings and stuff:

http://www.gori-propeller.dk/
Old 10-11-2006, 19:28   #15
Kai Nui

fstbttms, I can not seem to get the cad drawings to open. Oh well.
I did take a good look at their product at the boat show this year, but the one thing that is bothering me is the fact that they failed to respond to the email I sent about the original thread. And no, there is no bent washer on the Gori