Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 20:11   #16

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: free spinning shaft makes whirring noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Maybe you read the wrong test. A locked prop does not create more drag than a spinning one, not in a boat or in an airplane. A free-wheeling or wind-milling propeller will create drag equal to a solid disc the diameter of the prop. A locked fixed-blade prop will create drag slightly less that the surface area of the exposed blades. A folding or feathering prop on a boat will create the least drag.

If you really want to create drag, rig some kind of shaft driven generator, every KW of energy it produces is extracted directly from the power produced by your sails. There ain't no free lunch in physics.

Multi-engine propeller driven airplanes all have full feather propellers and many have auto-feathering systems which activate when an engine fails.
I assume that you are able to link to at least one test performed by a reputable source that supports your positions, both that a locked prop on a boat does not create more drag than a spinning one and that props in water perform in an identical manner to props in air??

Here is an example of an earlier thread on the subject.

"Maine Sail did his own tests and also links test results from Michigan Wheel and MIT. All point in the same direction. I'm convinced even if others aren't."

These results quite clearly indicate that a freewheeling prop creates less drag in water.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 21:54   #17

Boat: Valiant 42
free spinning shaft makes whirring noise

Quote:
Maybe you read the wrong test. A locked prop does not create more drag than a spinning one, not in a boat or in an airplane. A free-wheeling or wind-milling propeller will create drag equal to a solid disc the diameter of the prop. A locked fixed-blade prop will create drag slightly less that the surface area of the exposed blades. A folding or feathering prop on a boat will create the least drag.

Water is not air. A propeller in water free spinning does not act like a solid disk.

One cannot extrapolate behavior of an air foil propeller to a three bladed water propeller. The only thing they have in common is the name “propeller”. The way they work is completely different. An airplane propeller is shaped like an aircraft wing but a boat propeller is not. There are several other differences. Many studies prove that a locked boat propeller slows the boat more than free spinning.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:06   #18

Boat: None

QUOTE=Capn Jimbo;2783781] Unfortunately like the BMW cyclist in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, fixing a problem with an aluminum shim from a beer can just was simply untihinkable by a certain number of owners.

I own an old BMW motorcycle. Reason being... I can fix it with shims from a beer can.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Sure can Uncle Bob but that subject has been beat to death on this forum so I'm not going to look it up again so why don't you find evidence that supports the opposite.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:28   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
This is without question, the most sensible and useful solution for the time being. Seriously. Unfortunately like the BMW cyclist in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, fixing a problem with an aluminum shim from a beer can just was simply untihinkable by a certain number of owners.

I await the OP's solution...
one caveat, don't forget to take it off before engine start....if you do, call it a flying vise grip breaking stuff projectile.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:36   #21

Quote:
Sure can Uncle Bob but that subject has been beat to death on this forum so I'm not going to look it up again so why don't you find evidence that supports the opposite.
Could have guessed that would be the response!

Old 19-12-2018, 14:01   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
The principle reason you won't provide any link to Uncle Bob's request is that you can't - because it doesn't exist.

Yes, you can find stuff on the internet that supports your view but it is not scientifically valid. Put another way - in your responses in past threads concerning prop drag, you have provided "alternative facts" and when presented with actual (real / proper) facts you have just ignored them rather to present a factual counter argument to support your viewpoint.

It is a binary question and as such there can be only one correct answer; A valid analysis of the physics leads to a conclusive answer and this is confirmed by empirical testing. You seem unwilling to accept the answer and that is OK as you are free to believe whatever you want regardless of the truth of the matter.

However please don't state your view on the matter as a fact and don't try to convert others to accept the invalid answer unless you are willing to argue for it's validity.

For other readers of this post, the facts are simple - a free spinning fixed pitch boat prop produces less drag than when the same prop is locked (i.e. prevented physically from rotating freely). If any of you wish to provide a valid argument that counters my claim, I will be happy to hear them and respond. If any what further confirmation of my claim, please ask.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 14:14   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Here you go:

https://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/56...ints005670.pdf
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 15:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Thanks for that. Once past all the hypothesizing, projecting and assuming, table 4 towards the end of the doc indicates quite clearly that the drag of a locked prop is projected to be approximately double that of a freewheeling one, although that lovely term predicted is used.
I much prefer the testing done by Mainsail and Yachting monthly, actual video of the equipment, process and results presented in an unbiased logical manner.

Old 19-12-2018, 15:36   #25

I lock the props, more chance of a crab pot line slipping off a stationary prop, where as a spinning prop more likely to hold onto the line.
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 15:59   #26
Marine Service Provider

And I could have guessed that would be yours. When I dig it out I will post it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 16:20   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think I could dig out some docs that support the Flat Earth Society's doctrines, too.

Conclusive, eh?

Jim
Old 19-12-2018, 18:13   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think I could dig out some docs that support the Flat Earth Society's doctrines, too.

Conclusive, eh?

Jim
At least the early believers had some empirical evidence to support the proposition and none for the alternative propositions. Their position was understandable. The current believers - not so much!

But yeah with the ultra modern movement of alternative facts, truth ain't truth etc, I guess we are in for a resurgence of ignorance (conclusive ignorance perhaps) - sad
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 11:00   #29

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Back on how to lock the prop...

I use a piece of cord. About 3mm thick. A loop in the end, I snag one of the flange bolts with it and the other end is tied to a strong point (needs to be quite strong, the forces are surprising).

Advantage over the vice grips:

1. Fails “safely”. If you forget to remove it, it just snaps with the engine in gear.

2. CRITICAL for PSS style seals, it does not damage the shaft face which would chew out the O ring when you fit the seal.

3. Cheaper than leaving a metal tool down in the bilge.

When I have the loop on the flange I tie a small piece of the same cord through the ignition key to remind me to remove the cord before I start the engine. Advantage of this system is that it introduces no delay if you have to start and engage the engine in a hurry. Since the cord will snap instantly and I am not forced to change anything to start the engine. I’ve read lots of systems, like the vice grip, that introduce potentially dangerous delays to being able to use the engine.
Old 20-12-2018, 11:56   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Back on how to lock the prop...

So, Matt, how do you stop the shaft in the first place? If sailing fast when you shut down the engine, the torque developed by the fixed props we've had in the past was surprisingly large.

Jim

Tags
noise