Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 16:59   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Folding vs feathering props

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
$1000 less than what? When I was doing research at about the same time, the Kiwiprop was $300 less than FoF. With a cat, that meant the Kiwi's were $600 less than FoF and was the main reason I went with them.

Here's a link to an excellent comparison between props, confirming that FoF does indeed work well in reverse (and is more expensive).

Voile Magazine 2009
Than a MaxProp. When I was making my decision I never really entertained a plastic prop.
Old 24-06-2014, 17:01   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I think he is referring to the maxprop easy which is externally adjustable rather than the classic which needs to be disaseembled and re indexed.
I'm sure he is (in fact, I installed an "Easy" on a Island Packet 380 yesterday.) However, he inferred that the Easy is the only Max Prop that can be adjusted underwater. Discounting all the other Max Prop versions that require disassembly to do this, the Easy is not even the only Max Prop version that has external pitch adjustment screws. The Max Prop VP (for variable pitch) does as well.

The bottom line is that many sailors think that the boat has to be hauled for Max Prop adjustments and maintenance that in reality, can easily be done underwater. This is pretty much true for any prop, be it fixed, feathering or folding.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 17:56   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I'm sure he is (in fact, I installed an "Easy" on a Island Packet 380 yesterday.) However, he inferred that the Easy is the only Max Prop that can be adjusted underwater. Discounting all the other Max Prop versions that require disassembly to do this, the Easy is not even the only Max Prop version that has external pitch adjustment screws. The Max Prop VP (for variable pitch) does as well.

The bottom line is that many sailors think that the boat has to be hauled for Max Prop adjustments and maintenance that in reality, can easily be done underwater. This is pretty much true for any prop, be it fixed, feathering or folding.
Anything is possible - LOL

I know your belief on adjusting the MP in the water and you are professional and do it a lot. I've looked at the videos of pros doing this - no issue.

But for the average amateur the degree of difficulty is higher than doing it on the hard. I have had my prop on and off 10 times - I personally wouldn't do it in the water. I'd have no worries paying a pro but I don't pay pros unless I have to.

Also repitching is not really a maint item and once you get it right there is really no need to do it in the water. When I installed ours I calculated the numbers installed it and got the pitch a little low. We are lucky here because I can pull it in the ramp for $100.

Pulled it in the ramp, and fortunately got it right the second time. Power washed the bottom at the same time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 18:01   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But for the average amateur the degree of difficulty is higher than doing it on the hard.
I am not suggesting that the average boat owner attempt this underwater. I have heard anecdotally of it being done, but it really is a job best left to an experienced diver. Not for the faint of heart, for sure. And at least in my neck of the woods, having a diver do it is typically cheaper than a haulout. More convenient for the owner, as well.
Old 24-06-2014, 18:43   #35

I've taken my max prop apart during most all the haul outs over the past 25 years and that is something that I find difficult even on the hard. I need another pair of hands to align the 3 blades as I reassemble the prop not to mention that after I apply the grease to the prop it is difficult to see that I have all the parts properly positioned to achieve the proper pitch. More power to the diver that can do all of this underwater and achieve the proper alignment after complete disassembly.

One other point is that I experience prop walk with my max prop which I think is an advantage.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 19:40   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
...not to mention that after I apply the grease to the prop it is difficult to see that I have all the parts properly positioned to achieve the proper pitch.
Why would you lubricate the prop before assembly was complete? Lubrication is the very last thing that should be done before the boat is splashed.
Old 25-06-2014, 03:55   #37

Without the zirk fittings, you can not apply the grease to fully penetrate all the parts after assembly is complete.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 05:37   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Without the zirk fittings, you can not apply the grease to fully penetrate all the parts after assembly is complete.
Gotch. You've got one of the earliest models.
Old 25-06-2014, 07:54   #39

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
I think he is referring to the maxprop easy which is externally adjustable rather than the classic which needs to be disaseembled and re indexed.
Aw come on. let's get my gender right. I'm a she, not a he. And yes I was referring to the easy and some of the other newer ones produced by Max Prop after the old classic.
Old 25-06-2014, 08:03   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Aw come on. let's get my gender right. I'm a she, not a he.
Just once again proof positive that I have no race, color, religion, political or gender bias - I hate everyone equally - LOL...

Now in regards to anchors

(Now I know why I am so successful with the ladies - start with target identification - many apologies! )
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 10:27   #41

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Aw come on. let's get my gender right. I'm a she, not a he.
and judging from your pictures, a she well worth resting one's eyes on for awhile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 11:16   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Just once again proof positive that I have no race, color, religion, political or gender bias - I hate everyone equally - LOL...

Now in regards to anchors

(Now I know why I am so successful with the ladies - start with target identification - many apologies! )

well I'm now pretty scared of finding out what your targets are like once all those items are placed into the mix