Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 14:22   #1

Flexofold prop hub issue

I have a catamaran fitted with 2 three bladed Flexofold propellers attached to SD50's.

When I replace my split ring anodes, starboard side goes in as is, but port side needs to be sanded by almost 1 mm to stop the prop hub from rubbing on anode ( I have measured both sides - port has a reduced clearance of about 1.5mm ).

A couple of months back I emailed Flexofold about this - they stated it wasn't a prop problem but either spacer wasn't fitted or there is an issue with SD50.

I have just hauled out. Spacer on port side is same dimension as starboard side. Both SD50's look the same. Only difference is in prop hubs - port side inner hub is further back than starboard side. This can be seen on attached photo - note port side hub is on right - photo taken from behind[emoji848]

I have contacted Flexofold again - but it is European holidays for another few weeks. So am putting this out there to see if any CF member has any advice?

Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4895.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	151701
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17   #2

Re: Flexofold prop hub issue

I can't speak to the FlexOFold hubs, but on the Volvo propellers that are designed for saildrives, (and outdrives as well) the rubber cushion hub is pressed into the bronze housing with a hydraulic press and many tons of pressure. Normally that is enough to keep things in place, but as you can imagine, stuff happens. Especially with outdrives and V8 engines with many hundreds of horsepower.....and that's why they make replacement hubs.

This FF hub has obviously slipped or was never pressed all the way into the bronze housing. My opinion is that if the prop is still in warranty, FF should replace the hub.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
I have contacted Flexofold again - but it is European holidays for another few weeks. So am putting this out there to see if any CF member has any advice?
I can't help you with your specific problem but have to say, although I think the FOF propeller is a decent product, I think their customer service is poor and I found the unapologetic owner to be a bit of a jerk who is unwilling to admit his mistakes or any problems with his product.

His mistake cost me six weeks of prime summer sailing and forced me to haul out twice when I should have only hauled out once so good luck with the "our factory is shut down for summer holiday" business.

Their only saving grace was the nice girl working for them that did her best to cover for the owner's failures. I wish her all the best.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:25   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
I have a catamaran fitted with 2 three bladed Flexofold propellers attached to SD50's.

When I replace my split ring anodes, starboard side goes in as is, but port side needs to be sanded by almost 1 mm to stop the prop hub from rubbing on anode ( I have measured both sides - port has a reduced clearance of about 1.5mm ).

A couple of months back I emailed Flexofold about this - they stated it wasn't a prop problem but either spacer wasn't fitted or there is an issue with SD50.

I have just hauled out. Spacer on port side is same dimension as starboard side. Both SD50's look the same. Only difference is in prop hubs - port side inner hub is further back than starboard side. This can be seen on attached photo - note port side hub is on right - photo taken from behind[emoji848]

Thanks in advance

Attachment 151701

The hub is damaged. If it moved that much it is partially spun and will fail. You need a new hub or a good prop shop capable of replacing the inside of the hub.

Have you had a line rapped around it or any kind of impact? Typically that is what causes this.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:43   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
The hub is damaged. If it moved that much it is partially spun and will fail. You need a new hub or a good prop shop capable of replacing the inside of the hub.

Have you had a line rapped around it or any kind of impact? Typically that is what causes this.

Jay
I will 2nd what captainjay said.

Also look at the safety nut to see if the 2 ears are broken off.

If so you will need to purchase a new nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-13-2017 9-40-39 PM.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	151880  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 14:55   #6

Thanks for your advice.

I am second owner of this catamaran. As to full history of collisions & rope incidents, all I can say is there hasn't been anything in the two years I have owned it.

I will await till Flexofold are back from vacation to see what their input is & post their recommendations.

Cheers all
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote