Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2019, 12:00   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Posts: 22
Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Well I was motoring slowly out of the harbor when all of a sudden I had no propulsion. Was lucky enough to coast to an anchorage and drop anchor. Dove the boat and found the shaft to be completely bare! My issue is, I really liked the flexofold and now I wonder is there a design flaw? Bad installation? Attempted theft maybe? I feel like the installation must have been done right because we just sailed from Seattle to Newport Beach California right after install and motored probably half the way. I would think this wouldíve happened sooner? Has anyone ever heard of this with a flexofold? Doesnít seem possible to lose all of it at once considering how it is put together. Opinions? Advise?
__________________

Lifeonalean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:10   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,538
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Did this fall off a saildrive per chance?

For reasons I have never really been able to figure out that is WAY more common than is should be. I worked for a charter company and we lost THREE from one catamaran in a year before we just said screw it, and went to fixed props.

I KNOW that they were put together right and have no good explanation for why this combination of gear is so susceptible to failure.
__________________

billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:13   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Posts: 22
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Did this fall off a saildrive per chance?



For reasons I have never really been able to figure out that is WAY more common than is should be. I worked for a charter company and we lost THREE from one catamaran in a year before we just said screw it, and went to fixed props.



I KNOW that they were put together right and have no good explanation for why this combination of gear is so susceptible to failure.


No not a saildrive just a regular outboard shaft.
I donít see how all of it can go at once. With the way they are put together on the shaft, youíd think the hub would still be there at least
Lifeonalean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:15   #4
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,584
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Well I seriously doubt it was a prop design problem (mine has has been for years). It most certainly was an installation problem.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:18   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Posts: 22
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I seriously doubt it was a prop design problem (mine has has been for years). It most certainly was an installation problem.


Iíve motored a thousand miles since installation in the last two months, would this have not happened sooner if it was an installation problem? Maybe it just held on long enough I guess. Havenít used reverse much in that whole stretch
Lifeonalean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:22   #6
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,584
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

If not a faulty installation what is your theory? That just cracked in half and fell off including the nut?

It wasnt fit properly on the shaft and worked off the shaft turning the shaft nt slowly till it fell off.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:30   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mangareva, French Polynesia
Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Posts: 687
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Could it be the loctite used on the bolts? Did you perhaps use the 'above water' loctite and then launch immediately, before it had a chance to set? Just throwing and idea out there. Have never had any problems with ours and love it.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:41   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Posts: 22
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Could it be the loctite used on the bolts? Did you perhaps use the 'above water' loctite and then launch immediately, before it had a chance to set? Just throwing and idea out there. Have never had any problems with ours and love it.


I had a diver put this on. He used the underwater water locktite. Heís a very respected diver in Seattle known for doing prop work. Iím thinking he had to have done something wrong though but now weary of buying another flexofold because Iím unsure of the cause
Lifeonalean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:43   #9
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 1,245
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeonalean View Post
Well I was motoring slowly out of the harbor when all of a sudden I had no propulsion. Was lucky enough to coast to an anchorage and drop anchor. Dove the boat and found the shaft to be completely bare! My issue is, I really liked the flexofold and now I wonder is there a design flaw? Bad installation? Attempted theft maybe? I feel like the installation must have been done right because we just sailed from Seattle to Newport Beach California right after install and motored probably half the way. I would think this wouldíve happened sooner? Has anyone ever heard of this with a flexofold? Doesnít seem possible to lose all of it at once considering how it is put together. Opinions? Advise?
There was a guy in Trinidad in 2012 giving away two flexfolds from his catamaran after one fell off (he FOUND IT!) I got them and gave them to my friend but they were right hand vs left had which he needed, or something, and he didn't use them.
__________________
Sailing is a sport, an athletic activity, not a sedentary one.
Fred Roswold-Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mexico
http://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:44   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 8,342
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Certainly not unheard of.

My prop fell off... f.ck f.ck f.ck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 13:02   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Boat: Boatless at the moment
Posts: 424
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Not disparaging the diver who installed the prop but if it was a new prop and it wasn't properly mated to the shaft taper it wasn't installed properly. Many believe it's the prop nuts that hold the prop onto the shaft but it's actually the interference fit of the taper that holds it in place. If you don't think that's the case try taking a prop off without a puller.
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 13:25   #12
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 16,939
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Hi, lifeonalean,

Sorry about your losing the prop. Jim and I were talking about it, because one always wonders if one will have that lost prop feeling one's own self....Ours has been om since 2003.

When you install the new prop, do it on the hard. It will be easier to tell if it is properly bedded to the shaft. Sometimes, people even bed them to the shaft with fine lapping compound. It is not something to do with Flex-o-fold. I've known three blade fixed props to be thrown, too.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.

Jim and I are on land travel in the US, due to an illness in the family.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 14:01   #13
Marine Service Provider
 
Emmalina's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Posts: 631
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

What kind of manufacturer recommends glue for your prop nut ???? Whatever happened to left hand thread and split pins ?
__________________
Steve .. It was the last one that did this !
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 14:18   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Posts: 22
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, lifeonalean,

Sorry about your losing the prop. Jim and I were talking about it, because one always wonders if one will have that lost prop feeling one's own self....Ours has been om since 2003.

When you install the new prop, do it on the hard. It will be easier to tell if it is properly bedded to the shaft. Sometimes, people even bed them to the shaft with fine lapping compound. It is not something to do with Flex-o-fold. I've known three blade fixed props to be thrown, too.

Ann


Thanks for the advice, I think Iíve learned my lesson. Will do prop changes out of the water from now on. Currently stranded in an anchorage in an unfamiliar harbor on a weekend where no yards are open haha. At least it didnít happen at sea!
Lifeonalean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 17:37   #15
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,986
Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
What kind of manufacturer recommends glue for your prop nut ???? Whatever happened to left hand thread and split pins ?
Loctite is not "glue" and a folding prop like the Flex-O-Fold does not mount with standard prop nuts and a cotter pin.

__________________

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My prop fell off... f.ck f.ck f.ck. hoppy Engines and Propulsion Systems 130 02-09-2015 03:59
Garmin GWS10 Wind Vane Just Fell off Marleetet Our Community 3 30-09-2011 11:08
Prop Fell Off! Help! ssullivan Propellers & Drive Systems 91 15-01-2010 14:49
Apparently, the front fell off... Andy R Off Topic Forum 13 28-07-2008 21:16

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.