Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2019, 11:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Well I was motoring slowly out of the harbor when all of a sudden I had no propulsion. Was lucky enough to coast to an anchorage and drop anchor. Dove the boat and found the shaft to be completely bare! My issue is, I really liked the flexofold and now I wonder is there a design flaw? Bad installation? Attempted theft maybe? I feel like the installation must have been done right because we just sailed from Seattle to Newport Beach California right after install and motored probably half the way. I would think this would’ve happened sooner? Has anyone ever heard of this with a flexofold? Doesn’t seem possible to lose all of it at once considering how it is put together. Opinions? Advise?
Lifeonalean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 11:10   #2

Re: Flexofold prop FELL OFF!!

Did this fall off a saildrive per chance?

For reasons I have never really been able to figure out that is WAY more common than is should be. I worked for a charter company and we lost THREE from one catamaran in a year before we just said screw it, and went to fixed props.

I KNOW that they were put together right and have no good explanation for why this combination of gear is so susceptible to failure.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 11:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Did this fall off a saildrive per chance?

For reasons I have never really been able to figure out that is WAY more common than is should be. I worked for a charter company and we lost THREE from one catamaran in a year before we just said screw it, and went to fixed props.

I KNOW that they were put together right and have no good explanation for why this combination of gear is so susceptible to failure.

No not a saildrive just a regular outboard shaft.
I don’t see how all of it can go at once. With the way they are put together on the shaft, you’d think the hub would still be there at least
Old 20-10-2019, 11:15   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Well I seriously doubt it was a prop design problem (mine has has been for years). It most certainly was an installation problem.
Old 20-10-2019, 11:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I seriously doubt it was a prop design problem (mine has has been for years). It most certainly was an installation problem.

I’ve motored a thousand miles since installation in the last two months, would this have not happened sooner if it was an installation problem? Maybe it just held on long enough I guess. Haven’t used reverse much in that whole stretch
Old 20-10-2019, 11:22   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

If not a faulty installation what is your theory? That just cracked in half and fell off including the nut?

It wasnt fit properly on the shaft and worked off the shaft turning the shaft nt slowly till it fell off.
Old 20-10-2019, 11:30   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Could it be the loctite used on the bolts? Did you perhaps use the 'above water' loctite and then launch immediately, before it had a chance to set? Just throwing and idea out there. Have never had any problems with ours and love it.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 11:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Could it be the loctite used on the bolts? Did you perhaps use the 'above water' loctite and then launch immediately, before it had a chance to set? Just throwing and idea out there. Have never had any problems with ours and love it.

I had a diver put this on. He used the underwater water locktite. He’s a very respected diver in Seattle known for doing prop work. I’m thinking he had to have done something wrong though but now weary of buying another flexofold because I’m unsure of the cause
Old 20-10-2019, 11:43   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeonalean View Post
Well I was motoring slowly out of the harbor when all of a sudden I had no propulsion. Was lucky enough to coast to an anchorage and drop anchor. Dove the boat and found the shaft to be completely bare! My issue is, I really liked the flexofold and now I wonder is there a design flaw? Bad installation? Attempted theft maybe? I feel like the installation must have been done right because we just sailed from Seattle to Newport Beach California right after install and motored probably half the way. I would think this would’ve happened sooner? Has anyone ever heard of this with a flexofold? Doesn’t seem possible to lose all of it at once considering how it is put together. Opinions? Advise?
There was a guy in Trinidad in 2012 giving away two flexfolds from his catamaran after one fell off (he FOUND IT!) I got them and gave them to my friend but they were right hand vs left had which he needed, or something, and he didn't use them.
Old 20-10-2019, 11:44   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Certainly not unheard of.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ck-151908.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:02   #11

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Not disparaging the diver who installed the prop but if it was a new prop and it wasn't properly mated to the shaft taper it wasn't installed properly. Many believe it's the prop nuts that hold the prop onto the shaft but it's actually the interference fit of the taper that holds it in place. If you don't think that's the case try taking a prop off without a puller.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 12:25   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, lifeonalean,

Sorry about your losing the prop. Jim and I were talking about it, because one always wonders if one will have that lost prop feeling one's own self....Ours has been om since 2003.

When you install the new prop, do it on the hard. It will be easier to tell if it is properly bedded to the shaft. Sometimes, people even bed them to the shaft with fine lapping compound. It is not something to do with Flex-o-fold. I've known three blade fixed props to be thrown, too.

Ann
Old 20-10-2019, 13:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

What kind of manufacturer recommends glue for your prop nut ???? Whatever happened to left hand thread and split pins ?
Old 20-10-2019, 13:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, lifeonalean,

Sorry about your losing the prop. Jim and I were talking about it, because one always wonders if one will have that lost prop feeling one's own self....Ours has been om since 2003.

When you install the new prop, do it on the hard. It will be easier to tell if it is properly bedded to the shaft. Sometimes, people even bed them to the shaft with fine lapping compound. It is not something to do with Flex-o-fold. I've known three blade fixed props to be thrown, too.

Ann

Thanks for the advice, I think I’ve learned my lesson. Will do prop changes out of the water from now on. Currently stranded in an anchorage in an unfamiliar harbor on a weekend where no yards are open haha. At least it didn’t happen at sea!
Old 20-10-2019, 16:37   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
What kind of manufacturer recommends glue for your prop nut ???? Whatever happened to left hand thread and split pins ?
Loctite is not "glue" and a folding prop like the Flex-O-Fold does not mount with standard prop nuts and a cotter pin.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote