Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 18:17   #1

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Feathering Prop Issues

OK, I hauled our Cal 3-46 today, we made a bit of a trip south... about 30 miles and hauled her. On the way down I had a nasty vibration at all RPM's, I throttled down and ran about 1500 rpm's (wind wasn't present). Today when we hauled the boat I noticed the cutlass bearing was toast, no suprise there, however upon inspection of the prop I noticed some rediculous slack in the hub.

Not being real well informed on the feathering props i've got to assume there is something in that hub, gears, bearings, etc....

This prop is about 5 years old which has me raising the question; Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Is this a normal wear and tear item? Should I expect to rebuild/replace a feathering prop every 5 years? That said are they usually rebuildable?
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 18:23   #2

Short answer, yes.
They are a maintainance item. Yes there are gears in side, yes the wear, yes they should be sent back every now and then to be rebuilt
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 18:27   #3

Yea I try to stick with the KISS line of thinking, same reason the PSS is coming off and a good old fashion stuffing box is going back on LOL

I guess i will call the local prop shop and see what a rebuild will cost me and go from there, it is nice for backing I will admit, but i don't know if the cost is worth it.
Old 11-06-2007, 19:01   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Captain Scott,
What kind of prop do you have? I want to know what to avoid.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 19:03   #5

I don't know it was on the boat when I purchased it a couple months ago. I do have a reciept on the boat so I will have to check it when I get a chance.

I've got the original fixed prop, i'm going to dig it out and see what kind of shape it's in and go from there.
Old 11-06-2007, 19:09   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Captain Scott,
Thanks. A two blade fixed prop is my back up. They seem to work every time no matter what. My friend on the Cal 2-46 had a big fixed 3 blade that never let him down either but he was more a motor sailor.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 22:17   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude9.5
Today when we hauled the boat I noticed the cutlass bearing was toast, no suprise there, however upon inspection of the prop I noticed some rediculous slack in the hub.

Not being real well informed on the feathering props i've got to assume there is something in that hub, gears, bearings, etc....

This prop is about 5 years old which has me raising the question; Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Is this a normal wear and tear item? Should I expect to rebuild/replace a feathering prop every 5 years? That said are they usually rebuildable?
No you should not expect to replace any prop every 5 years. If your feathering prop was sloppy on the shaft it is likely because it was improperly installed. If you are saying the blades were loose it may be because the prop was not properly lubricated (if applicable.) In any event, the prop can probably be reconditioned and if installed by a knowledgable person and well maintained, should give many years of trouble-free service.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:27   #8

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
What kind of a feathering propellor is is?
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 17:59   #9

We removed it today, had to have someone in the yard do it as my puller was two small to fit around the massive hub.

Anyhow, the gears inside were pretty worn, not destroyed, but very sloppy. I will get it cleaned up and figure out a brand. Going back on with the fixed prop for now and i will see how much i miss the feathering prop.