Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
What a difference it makes to cruise 10 % faster , did you also notice that it also helps in pointing higher ?
I noticed in low wind speeds the difference is almost 15 % in gained speed
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53   #32

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
Fastcat,

I didn't really make any attempt to measure how our new props may have helped pointing, but, in general, one points better when one is going faster, so I suppose it did help. We used to race a bit and really noticed the improvement over our regular competition immediately. Now that we're cruising, arriving at our destination hours earlier than we would have is pretty sweet.

Tom
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45   #33

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
hi , i fitted folding two blades to my sunstar and removed the standard volvo saildrive two blade fixed , i lock the drives in reverse to stop the gearbox from turning ,why have your gearbox running without the engine ?? . the props are from CJR in southampton uk called Vari - Prop and have been in service 7 years and are perfect . they gave me .5 of a knot straight away . not quite so much grip in astern , but i dont go backwards that often ! recommended .
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19   #34

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramos View Post
... the standard volvo saildrive two blade fixed , i lock the drives in reverse to stop the gearbox from turning ,why have your gearbox running without the engine ?? . .
My Volvo saildrive manual warns not to lock in gear when sailing as it will damage the gearbox. Don't know how or why but that's what it says.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21   #35

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
i cant see how it could be damaged in any way if its not turning? if i leave them in forward gear the gearboxes run and issue a slight whine , . does your manual explain the damage potential ?
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 16:35   #36

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
If one were to hit something with a fixed prop locked in position, I suppose you just might screw it up. Sounds like a factory CYA move to me...
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 23:56   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suppose the reason for not locking the prop in reverse might be that if a boat sails fast that the prop might actually turn the engine in opposite direction and so damage the engine , the waterpump will also work in reverse and might take in water if the outlet is below water line. I guess this could only happen with very high speeds and a type of prop with big surface blade area
Old 11-10-2007, 09:47   #38

Boat: Catana 471
Hi, this is my first "offering" on this forum.

I have three blade folding Volvo props and am very happy with them. Prior to acquiring these (they were attached to the boat I bought) I was a folding prop skeptic and always planned to have feathering props on whatever boat I bought.

Well.

During the sea trial I backed down from powering full ahead and I was instantly "converted." They work very, very, very well and if I ever have to replace them I will have to be really convinced to go with anything else. That said, they do go through zincs rather quickly, but at least I can replace them in the water in 30 second increments.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:41   #39

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramos View Post
i cant see how it could be damaged in any way if its not turning? if i leave them in forward gear the gearboxes run and issue a slight whine , . does your manual explain the damage potential ?
Can't remember, sorry. Boat and manual are in the BVI and I'm in the UK so can't check right now.

However, I have tried it a couple of times and it was almost impossible to get the box back into neutral while sailing so there is certainly a lot of pressure acting on the system.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo 2hulls you present use the volvo / radice props that still have a considerable resistance if you ever want to change props and gain another 5 % in speed go for the Gori 3 blade folding props or another folding prop . the revers on the gori 3 blades is excellent and the speed gain remarkeble I switched from the same to these 3 blade folders with my st francis 48 and sail faster .
greetings and welcome to the forum
Old 11-10-2007, 13:20   #41

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
I switched from the same to these 3 blade folders with my st francis 48 and sail faster .
greetings and welcome to the forum
Hi fastcat - can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean you switched from Volvo folders to Gori and sail faster? - or do you mean you can motor faster?

I'll bet that any sailing speed differences between all the folders and feathering props are very small or undetectable. Motoring performance is where the differences will be - or so it seems to me.

Thanks,
Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 17:47   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
To lock a saildrive in gear or not. I think the manual recommending that it be locked in reverse is ment if you have a folding prop as it helps it to fold up. I put a fixed 3 blade on for one specific trip and we let it spin in neutral. I was afraid that my small diesel (17hp) would turn over if we locked it in gear at the speeds my tri can sail. Lower speeds and larger engines may stop that from happening. I can't see how letting it spin can cause any damage as it is just a shaft and gears sitting in an oil bath. I suppose there would be more wear on seals and bearings if you did this constantly year after year. It does whine a bit as speed increases and there was some loss of performance even with it spinning. It was a one time thing and now the folding prop is back on.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:09   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Hi fastcat - can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean you switched from Volvo folders to Gori and sail faster? - or do you mean you can motor faster?

I'll bet that any sailing speed differences between all the folders and feathering props are very small or undetectable. Motoring performance is where the differences will be - or so it seems to me.

Thanks,
Dave
Hallo Dave

Just picked this one up a bit late but OK
When I changed from the Radice props to my present Gori 3 blad folding props we gained 5 % in speed and even more in low wind conditions
With less than 10 knots of wind actual sailing speed has increased with 8 %
and on a long voyage it makes a difference
The Volvo radice props have the disadvantage that the hydrodynamic resistance is still very high.

It does depend on the type used on your cat , they have 2 , 3 and 4 blade folding props 2 has the least and 4 the most resistance

greetings and happy sailing
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25   #44

We've used Martec folders locked in reverse and Maxprop feathering porps locked in forward. No problems with any of the props over ~25 years. Good forward and good reverse.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote