Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 19:20   #1

Boat: Outbound 521
Ewol vs Volvo propeller

So tell me how it is working for you. Which one is the best.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 04:33   #2

Re: Ewol vs Volvo propeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaSpirit View Post
So tell me how it is working for you. Which one is the best.
Hi,
I don't know about Volvo propeller but I just bought an Ewol in May for my Freedom 32 to replace my Piranha (maybe the worst propeller ever). I'm very enthusiast about the Ewol, everything they tell it's true. I have more maneuverability, more speed sailing and motorizing, and less fuel consumption. My boat is in Hilton Head Island SC and from my marina to go sailing I have to motorize out of the creek through Harbor River, sometimes against 4-5 knots of currents (sometime makes difficult also leave land from the dock). With Ewol the boat is so responseve and I don't need to fight to go out of the dock. I also gained 1.5-2 knots in speed and I have more time to enjoy sailing. I can not be more happy and I highly recommend this propeller.
Seventh Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 05:21   #3

Boat: Outbound 521

Thank you for your input.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 06:32   #4
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

I went from a Volvo fixed two blade to an Ewol.
I wanted a feathering prop.
I am also very pleased with it both sailing and motoring.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:35   #5

Have an Erikson 38, replaced engine with Yanmar 4JH57 and could not find prop that would fit. After much research and frustration talked to Sergio at EWOL and he came up with a solution. Got the prop and installed it underwater with a diver. First sea trial showed need for less pitch. Took all of 5 minuets to change in water and did so 3 times to get it right. Result max speed up 2 knots, RPM down to 1800 to reach hull speed and sips just over 2 liters per hour. Have gone on 3 week cruse with Trawlers requiring a lot of motoring to keep up and many shorter trips in and out of tight mooring situations with cross currents and winds. The ability to keep power on and back straight has been a boat saver. Been sailing for 60+ years and this is the best prop ever had! Also with clean hull sailing speed up over 1 kt in 5-12 kt winds.
truent II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 10:58   #6

I have an Ericson 35, that previously had a had a 2 bladed 14 inch prop that performed poorly in reverse and in heavy seas. I purchased an EWOL 15 inch prop this past year and installed it this past Spring. Initially the pitch was set too high, but after a couple of in water prop adjustments, the prop has been performing beyond expectations. Sailing speed has increased and reverse performance now exists. Cruising this summer through Woods Hole against 5 knots of current the prop proved it's worth. The biggest factor that sold me on the EWOL was the ease of pitch adjustment, something that is hard to guess right the first time. I would highly recommend the EWOL feathering prop.

Bill
Bill Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 14:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Wow!, yet another new member pops up with a single post to endorse EWOL.

This is starting to look a lot like sock puppetry.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 10:40   #8

I have a Passport 37 with a Yanmar 3GM30FV. Previously I had a 3 blade 16" fixed prop. I keep my boat in a marina in Newport, RI where I need to be able to maneuvre in tight spaces.
I do not know about Volvo prop but since I've replaced my propeller with an Ewol 16" three years ago the boat has definitively improved maneuverability, especially in reverse.
I have to say that customer support has been excellent.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 11:03   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I do not know about the Ewol propellers.

I have the Volvo Penta D2-55 engine use 3 blade folding prop:
18" Dia. X 16" Pitch Left Hand (Counter Clockwise)

The VP 3 blade folding props. work great in forward and reverse.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:26   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Those glowing testimonials, if real, are not terribly meaningful IMO. They report the not too surprising fact that replacing a fixed prop with a feathering prop improves performance. Big surprise! But nothing here about relative performance between the EWOL and Volvo (or any other) feathering prop, which is what the OP wanted.

OF course, the chances of finding someone who has had both types of props on the same boat are pretty slim...

But I agree, those posts look kinda suss to me!

Jim
Old 17-11-2016, 13:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
I have a Passport 37 with a Yanmar 3GM30FV. Previously I had a 3 blade 16" fixed prop. I keep my boat in a marina in Newport, RI where I need to be able to maneuvre in tight spaces.
I do not know about Volvo prop but since I've replaced my propeller with an Ewol 16" three years ago the boat has definitively improved maneuverability, especially in reverse.
I have to say that customer support has been excellent.
And yet another single post from a new member extols Ewok in a very similar style.

About time that mods started looking at IP addresses?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:43   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Jim,
I'm going to disagree with you, possibly
It's my opinion whatever it's worth that under engine power a fixed prop will outperform most any feathering prop, reason is of course that the blades are not an airfoil, but flat planar blades with no blade twist or airfoil and will therefore be less efficient when motoring.
Under sail of course they will have less drag and the boat will of course perform better.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:59   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Jim,
I'm going to disagree with you, possibly
It's my opinion whatever it's worth that under engine power a fixed prop will outperform most any feathering prop, reason is of course that the blades are not an airfoil, but flat planar blades with no blade twist or airfoil and will therefore be less efficient when motoring.
Under sail of course they will have less drag and the boat will of course perform better.
A64, you are correct, and I was not very clear that I was referring to saiingl performance. Sorry 'bout that! I have in the past repeatedly harped upon the fact that feathering props are not efficient due to blade shape, so it is a bit embarrassing to be caught out like this!

Jim
Old 17-11-2016, 14:19   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Jim I was just teasing you, I know what you meant
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 19:36   #15
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Well I think I will pipe in here.
I don't know about the other posts, but mine is real and not the first post and the mods can search my ip address all they want.
I maybe should have written more about my full experience.
I used a Volvo two blade fixed propeller for about five years. Never had any problems with it. However I didn't like the fact that when sailing I had to have the drive in gear and have heard stories about when sailing fast it can actually turn the engine over backwards and suck in water (never happened to me though). I tried a few times to leave the gear in neutral, as some have recommended, but the engine would shake quite a lot and I didn't feel comfortable with that. It was explained to me that this shaking was a symptom of the large amount of drag that the fixed propeller actually has (which seems more than I would have thought).
Also I wanted to reduce drag when sailing ( it is fun to go fast when conditions are right).
I did a huge amount of research about feathering vs. folding propellers and since my boat handles like a dream both in forward and reverse, I wanted to keep or maybe improve these characteristics. I decided that the feathering prop was the only way.
I started to research and compare all of the feathering propellers I could find and was at the boat show in Dusseldorf three years in a row two of which I spent a good bit of time looking and inspecting "hands on" the various manufacturers at the shows.
I made my final decision based on what in my mind was the best engineered propeller, also the most expensive, but this is often the case but not always.
Any way I mounted the new Ewol propeller this last June and although I think I would like to teak it a bit (an extremely nice feature with the Ewol) as I am getting quite easily and quickly to the high end of the maximum rpm. Without tweaking it I have a much better top speed, I have the same cruising speed as the Volvo prop. at 2000 rpms. Reverse is better with the Ewol, I think because it is three blades instead of the Volvos two. The sailing experience is very noticeable and a really makes me smile. Especially in light air. The boat just seems more "slippery" to me. Of course it is difficult to document with hard evidence, but I believe I am getting a good 1 to 1.5 knots in winds up to 20 knots.
Next summer I will tweak it a bit and report back.
Also I paid extra to get the prop polished (thinking that I would just keep it clean with a 3m pad). This was against the recommendation of Ewol. It was a mistake, so this winter I will rough it up a bit and use the paint they recommend.

Well I hope this adds some credence to my first post.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope, volvo