Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-10-2016, 19:15   #1

E 35-2 broken strut

When diving to clean the prop, found that the strut had broken right where it attaches to the cutlass bearing. Am looking for suggestions on fastest easiest way to fix this. Was contemplating glassing the cutlass to he strut as a temporary repair or buying and glassing a new one but they seem pretty hard to come by.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2016, 19:16   #2

Re: E 35-2 broken strut

Pictures can be seen here, E 35-2 broken strut

Old 05-10-2016, 20:23   #3

Boat: C&C 41

Haul and weld
Old 05-10-2016, 22:24   #4

Boat: Anything entertaining.

You could have one made, such as by the Port Townsend Foundry in Washington And were it me, I'd be tempted to make a V-strut. So that then there are 2 legs taking the load, & transmitting them to the hull. Though I'm not sure if such struts raise the potential for snagging lines or not. Whether you use a line cutter on the shaft/prop or not.

One other option is to build a composite one. Either in the standard configuration, or a V-type. And some companies will build you one from composites in lieu of metal.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51   #5

Boat: Cal 28-II

Wow... looks like the cutless was not properly secured to the strut.

I would haul, weld, and then fabricate another strap around the cutlesss and welded or bolted to the strut. You certainly don't want to motor very much until you get that fixed.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36

Mine was never installed correctly and way out of alignment with the shaft log for 43 years. Rather than try to correct that, I chopped it off right above the cutlass bearing and incasesed the remaining tab in fiberglass, building an extension of the shaft log out of fen exhaust pipe. and made the new cutlass hub out of fiberglass. Basically made a little mini-keel.

My engine runs more quiet now that it has something to be correctly aligned to. Crossed the Pacific and lots more running time since then.

Took all the nerve I could muster to do that, but it really was my best option and has paid off with peace of mind that I will never have a broken strut.
Old 06-10-2016, 14:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post
When diving to clean the prop, found that the strut had broken right where it attaches to the cutlass bearing. Am looking for suggestions on fastest easiest way to fix this. Was contemplating glassing the cutlass to he strut as a temporary repair or buying and glassing a new one but they seem pretty hard to come by.

Thanks!
Hi, there,

I just finished reading the posts ahead of this one. What Minggat wrote, got me questioning why did this occur? Because, if you have a bent shaft or buggered motor mounts that caused it, just welding it up will still leave you with a problem.

I think what you should do, is get the boat to the haulout yard without running its motor (use a dinghy, hip tied, for a push boat). Then check the shaft alignment and also for bend. If bent, replace it. Check the engine mounts, broken? worn out?

Finally, you'll want to have the strut welded back up or, a new one fabricated. Replace cutlass bearing, replace shaft, align, and after you re-launch, check the alignment again, boats change shape a little when they go back in the water.

Ann.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:38   #8

Last time I had to replace a major forging/casting, I was able to determine the forger/caster who originally made it, and called them (Buck Algonquin)and they had one on the shelf.
They said they always keep the molds and could make one if not in stock.
Check with boat manufacturer to find who originally supplied the part.
Or pull the part (maybe can be done in the water) and look for casting/forging marks. Mine was a 30 year old boat.
Cost less than welding.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:55   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

if you have part in advance, if you wish not to haul, and can effect the repair between tides, careen the boat., their keels are awesome strong and can handle that. -- there was one walkabout in patricia landed on a sandy beach in a lagoon in front of a restaurant-- is still good after-floating nicely.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 16:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

tchiffriller,

Mmmmm, on second thought, I don't think welding is suitable for castings. So the replace option is looking better than repair.

Ann
Old 08-10-2016, 00:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Hmmm...

So far, we have not determined what material the strut is made from. Some are cast bronze, various alloys. Some are cast stainless (mine is). Some are weldments usually stainless. The repair options depend on the answer to this question.

But, looking at the photo,the fracture is very close to the bore that the cutless is pressed into. Welding at this point will almost certainly distort that bore, and remachining would be required.

To me, this starts to deny the practicability of repair. Not impossible, but getting involved and likely expensive.

Jim
Old 08-10-2016, 15:22   #12

Thank you for all of your input, I found a yard that can do the haul monday about 25 miles south of our current location in the myrtle beach ICW area where we are waiting out this weather.

luckily we have a 25 hp on an outboard bracket as back up so moving the boat is not a problem just very fuel efficient.

Strut is Bronze.

Currently my plan is to haul the boat,
disconnect shaft,
pull shaft,
check shaft for trueness,
unbolt coupling,
unlag engine mounts,
pull engine into cabin sole and rest on blocks,
set shaft straight with stern tube
fit new cutlass bearing onto shaft with donut around cutlass bearing,
use jigs to hold prop shaft into alignment with stern tube,
fiberglass cutlass bearing donut to existing strut using g10 west system as a base layer for strong adhesive to bronze and biaxial 8oz cloth

then using regular epoxy, scarf using bixial cloth the entire donut up onto the strut and hull making it one unit,

after this has hardened, realign the engine to what has been made

I know that this is not necessarily the right and proper way of doing it but as for a semi-temporary repair I believe that this should last for a sufficient amount of time given that no unusual loads such as hitting a rock or something are applied to the strut

g10 has an adhesive strength to bronze of 2900 psi while regular epoxy is around 1000 i believe that this, overlayed with the biaxial and regular epoxy will be fairly strong

any opinions and ways to hasten this process would be awesome because were getting an overnight quickhaul

i love the fast paced working that things like this entail, sailboats are awesome, and with a good plan and contingency plans i think we could be back underway within 24 hours of haul out.

Thankfully I have two smart friends with me and were pretty good at figuring things out I have been going over a bunch of different ideas and due to the lack of easy sourcing and need/want to be back underway sooner rather than later i think repairing this one will be alot easier and potentially yield similar results as effecting a new one.
Old 09-10-2016, 22:29   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Step 1: Haul the boat and access the problem logically. Why did it break? Misalignment? Bent shaft? Corrosion? You certainly cannot weld in place and expect it to be aligned. Even the cooling process of the welding will cause movement. As will welding it in the first place. 2: Logical options after accessing the reason it broke is to replace the entire unit with another bronze one or 3: Eliminate the bronze unit entirely and fiberglass one to the hull.
I wish I had kept the pictures of my Olympian 34 which I replaced my corroded strut to a laminated fin to the hull incorporating the cutlass into it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: