Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2013, 10:53   #46

Re: Dripless Shaft Seal Inspection & Maintenance?

On mine some PO buggered the screws that hold the SS part to the shaft. Eventually the SS part started slipping up the shaft and then it would leak. I reset it numerous times but it still slipped.

Anyway, when we replaced the tranny and shaft on my boat I also replaced the PSS. The new version had a water injection hose where the old one didn't. The old type was no longer available. I wasn't crazy about the added complication but it never was any trouble. Also the old PSS had lost a lot of spring tension compared to the strength of the new one so it probably wasn't long for this world anyway.

The sandpaper trick does work by the way ... just watch your fingers that close to a spinning shaft.

Old 10-07-2013, 13:06   #47

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Mfg. says to change the bellows, clamps, set-screws @6 yrs., a surveyor friend says 3, the yard mgr. has 15 on nis personal boat! I think a lot of it has to with proper shaft alignment.

Old 10-07-2013, 22:56   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Thank you Jim!!

15 psi is 10M or 33' down!!!!
We were talking about aircraft carriers, weren't we?

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50   #49

CaptRonB:
We have a shaft collar zinc installed behind the PSS to "lock"it in place in addition to the 4 set screws. According to PSS, the set screws should be used only once but may be reversed once (outer to inner position). The shaft zinc provides a greater sense that nothing will slip/leak.
Old 11-07-2013, 20:40   #50

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
For those who think a drip less bellows is the same as rubber hose on a standard box I suggest you take a look at both items side by side.
Hmm... I have had the two side by side on the bench... and they both say the same thing on the hose.
Perhaps we are looking at different types of dripless seals?
Old 11-07-2013, 22:30   #51

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

The seals I refer to have a bellows hose which is a much lighter flexible compressible piece of tubing. While a buck Algonquin or other purpose specific stuffing box hose is heavy duty in comparison. Of course if one uses just any piece of hose to link stuffing box to tube shaft all bets are off.
Old 11-07-2013, 23:13   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

The reason for such a heavy hose is if the stuffing box gets hot (from being too tight or lack of water) and seizes, it'll try to twist off the hose and gland. A PSS will not seize.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:51   #53

I don't think we are going to get a meaningful answer here just opposing opinions. Time will tell as the drip less units age many not getting any maintenance we will see if they are as safe as what came before. While lack of maintenance of a standard packing box has caused many a wet bilge I am not aware of many catastrophic sinkings. I for one went back to the standard box with modern packing material because my dripless was anything but dry. I never had a problem with dripless in low powered sail boat motors but on big diesels with pressurized water ports they can be tricky to keep dry in my experience no better than standard box with modern packing. Both systems can fail as is the case with almost everything that goes on a boat.
Old 13-07-2013, 23:24   #54

My dripless system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	64069  
Old 24-07-2013, 00:14   #55

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Being a live aboard for the last 20+ years I have seen several examples of a standard stuffing box failing after the owner came home after a long motor. Did not realize it was leaking and the bilge pump got jammed up. In two cases the Gally sink was just about to overflow which would have gone down fast.
Old 17-08-2013, 11:16   #56

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

The current installation on my boat is apparently something like a home built packless sealing system. As the builder explained it, there is a stainless steel tube going through the bottom of the boat with a cutlass bearing in it containing the propeller shaft. The bearing apparently allows water to lubricate an oil seal that is also on the shaft. There is a heavy length of plastic hose about eight inches long which encloses the shaft being held on with hose clamps at each end. The seal also has a hose clamp to tighten it. Originally there was apparently supposed to be a second oil seal on the shaft outside of the hose so that if the first one failed it would be a simple matter to push the new seal down and tighten it - however, there was apparently no room to do this so the second seal is also inside the hose - and not likely to get much lubricating water. With the engine not running this setup kept the bilges dry for a couple of years on the mooring while the boat was being finished. When we started trying to run the engine, there would be some small amount of water that gets in. The builder subsequently recommended that I add an 'O' ring to the seal. I purchased them but have not figured out how to get them inside the hose. Because the boat has a V-drive, this sealing system is located directly under the engine and nearly impossible to see well or touch unless the engine is raised or removed. The only instructions I have been given are to monitor the amount of water leakage - the builder did not suggest that I monitor the temperature of the sealing system (although this makes a lot of sense). For other reasons I am planning on repowering the boat and would appreciate some more detail on using a more traditional stuffing box with the 'new' stuffing material alluded to as being superior to greased cord. Note that I am in the Philippines and this kind of stuff does not seem to be easily found here. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am still trying to learn all of these details that seem to be of major importance.
Old 17-08-2013, 12:59   #57

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
My dripless system.
It's more of a drip containment system, no?

Still, nice work and I love the innovative approach!
Old 27-08-2013, 03:17   #58

Originally Posted by eyschulman
My dripless system

Does the heavy hose need double hose clamps at both ends
Old 27-08-2013, 04:13   #59

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
Originally Posted by eyschulman
My dripless system

Does the heavy hose need double hose clamps at both ends
YES, quality stainless clamps - the kind where the worm gear engages raised humps on the band instead of engaging cut-outs. The cost is so cheap for the extra protection you just can't go wrong by doubling up.
Old 27-08-2013, 04:36   #60

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Mine are the Tides seals.

The periodic inspection is to remove the lubrication hose to verify that sea water comes in from the the nipple and that lubrication water is provided to the fitting from the engines.

Also the engine alignment needs to be maintained.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, maintenance, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: