Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 21:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 38 11.5m
Cutlass Bearing Removal with Shaft in Place

Hoping someone has had experience with the removal of their cutlass bearing without having removed the shaft (which therefore avoids the rudder having to come off).
We think we may have the only Catalina 38 in Australia (similar to S&S 39) which has a very fine transom. Very limited room!
We are currently considering purchasing a StrutPro from the US @ a considerable price but wonder whether we can avoid this if at all possible. Would be happy to hire the tool off anyone in OZ or perhaps there is a simpler tool that can be created????
Any advice will be gratefully received
cheers
BOHEME
Jikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cutlass Bearing Removal with shaft in place

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jikka.

See ➥ http://www.google.com/cse?siteurl=ww...ass+tool&sa=Go

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 21:12   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Theoretically possible to remove the cutlass with the shaft in place - but boy, would it be a hassle. You have to get clear access to the inside of the shaft log which requires removing the transmission flange; stuffing box and mounting hose. And then outside removing the propeller and anything in between the shaft log and the propeller.
- - Then a proper diameter and thickness cylinder/tube would be slid over the propeller shaft and some form of hydraulic press would be needed to press out the old cutlass bearing. And the reverse to get the new one into place. The idea is simple but the execution would be a nightmare of complications.
- - It is not uncommon that old cutlass bearings have to be "cut" out by inserting a hacksaw blade type tool and sawing through the old bearing to be able to relieve the pressure of the bearing on the shaft log. Otherwise you can do damage to the shaft log by excessive pounding or pressing.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 21:55   #4

Boat: Catalina 38 11.5m

Hi Osirissail
Many thanks for your reply. It seems however that we may have different setups below the waterline. We have heard of other vintage Catalina 38 owners removing their cutlass bearing (with a Strut Pro) avoiding the need for removing the shaft and more importantly the removal of the rudder which is required to get the shaft out. Sadly the notes for this procedure have been lost on Catalina 38 assoc site.
Thanks again and happy sailing
cheers
angelika
Jikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:02   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

I have done cutless (yes that is the right spelling--used to be a brand name) bearing removal without removing the shaft. Ability to do this depends on how corroded the bearing casing is to the strut. I have used some steel conduit cut lengthwise and fitted over the shaft to drive it out. With the setscrews removed (most of the time it seems these are hopeless and need to be drilled and retapped with larger set screws), either hamer this loose if it comes easily (not likely, but it has worked on occasion), or I have used threaded stock and bolts through some bars to push the sleeve out, (this usually works and is similar to the expensive tool made for the purpose). If both of these fail (my experience- 50% of the time), you are going to have to pull the shaft out and saw the *&^&*^$#$ thing into two halves. On many boats this last option leads to extensive disassembly work described above where installing a new stuffing box, checking the shaft and facing for trueness and wear--makes sense if it has not been done lately.

I put embed my new bearing in 4200 sealant so the next guy will not have the problem removing it. Thought is that we should not depend on corrosion to hold in place and someone might actually want to replace this in the future. I try to be careful to have proper set screws with good dimples in the casing to hold it there.

Good luck.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cutless is the trade name for a duramax nitrile rubber bearing, as a supplier of water lubricated shaft bearings we were reminded of this. It has become generic but it is fiercely protected. They are often called cutlass as well and we know what people mean. I prefer water lubricated shaft bearing!

We supply shaft bearings as a clearance fit designed to be bedded on epoxy, these are easy to install and remove as the epoxy softens with some heat, or they will split from a grp tube (thin epoxy under 1.00mm ish doesn't bond but does support)

Clearances can be found if you search for maritex aquarius calculator, these are fully composite (no rubber) bearings. If you are assembling with the shaft in place (supported) you are also able to check the carrier alignment as the bearing should slide in easily by hand and you should be able to spin it in the carrier on the shaft.

Good luck, getting out press fit bearings can be involved!
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09   #7

It maybe possible to drill a hole in your rudder with the proper size hole saw and remove the shaft tru the rudder
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 04:07   #8

Boat: sloop 8.68m
Re: Cutlass Bearing Removal with Shaft in Place

By eye the shaft may look center line to your boat but.. it maybe just "off center line" so you can just slide your shaft out past your rudder.
Give it ago and see if you get lucky
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 04:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, insalt72.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 09:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikka View Post
Hoping someone has had experience with the removal of their cutlass bearing without having removed the shaft (which therefore avoids the rudder having to come off).
We think we may have the only Catalina 38 in Australia (similar to S&S 39) which has a very fine transom. Very limited room!
We are currently considering purchasing a StrutPro from the US @ a considerable price but wonder whether we can avoid this if at all possible. Would be happy to hire the tool off anyone in OZ or perhaps there is a simpler tool that can be created????
Any advice will be gratefully received
cheers
BOHEME
After pulling my shafts and replacing my two cutless bearings I found the StrutPro site. Would have been alot easier with the StrutPro. It's made in the town I live in! Called them and they said they would have rented one to me.

I have seen post where others have cut an old bearing in half, build something similar to StrutPro and removed and installed their cutless.

I did a Google search on "marine cutless bearings". got lots of hits and the most informative is the following.

Cutless bearing removal - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Hope this helps.

Gordon
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal