Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 12:39   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9 1978
Cutlass Bearing Choice

The cutlass bearing in my sailboat is badly corroded. About the last 1" of the bronze casing has completely corroded away. The rubber is still in pretty good shape. The part is about seven or eight years old.

Since this part cannot be easily grounded, I suspect that electrolysis has eaten the metal away over the years - note that it is the inboard side that has corroded.

When searching for a replacement, I found that Johnson now makes cutlass bearings with a non-metallic sleeve. https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/...-becky-bearing Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they last better than the bronze casing type? Do they have other issues I'm not aware of?
Homer Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote