Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 15:49   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
cutlass bearing

could someone please estimate what it should cost to replace fhe cutlass bearing on a 1980 46ft morgan? the boat is out of the water. thanks
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:59   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: cutlass bearing

With the proper tooling it should be around 1-2 hours labor.

See>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ace-57304.html
Old 25-03-2012, 16:04   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Depends if you are doing it yourself or having a yard do it. Shouldn't take more than 3 hours.
Old 25-03-2012, 16:10   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Is this the same as yours? With or w/o the crust.

Attached Images

Old 25-03-2012, 16:15   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Costs, D-I-Y and the only cost is then the bearing. Two types - Brass vary from $85 to 125 retail; $45-65 Wholesale (typical 1.25" prop shaft). Other type is Phenolic and costs $55 to $85 and $25 to $45 wholesale.

Add a couple of bucks for a chunk of dry ice and a styrofoam cooler to shrink the metal cutless bearing to slide in easier.

Have somebody else do the job and you are looking at $500 to $1000 depending upon how gullible you appear.

However, in most boatyards you should be able to find plenty of other cruisers who can describe to you how to D-I-Y the job.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 17:44   #6

thanks for your responses. the boat is in charleston and i got a verbal quote of $1500. the bottom is clean with no barnacles or crud. sounds high , thanks for the ammo!
Old 25-03-2012, 18:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockborn View Post
thanks for your responses. the boat is in charleston and i got a verbal quote of $1500. the bottom is clean with no barnacles or crud. sounds high , thanks for the ammo!
$1500.00??? Unless the whole thing is totally corroded in place requiring major surgery of the strut then Run Away!!!
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:38   #8

Have we confirmed it's in a strut? or in the hull? In the hull it requires the shaft to be pulled etc etc....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:43   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
If the cutlass is in the shaftlog and requires removal of the shaft the quote may not be out of line. To replace mine requires removal of the prop, uncoupling the shaft from the engine, yanking off the coupling (this may destroy it) finding the three buried set screws, crawling back into the boat to remove stuffingb b Ox to drive cutlass out of log, put new bearing in and reverse all of the above.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:47   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

No way it should cost over 500.00 and thats high with the boat already out of the water ! Maybe the yard owner wont let outside workers in and is he the one with the 1500 bid ?? just wondered, have had yard tell me after they pulled the boat that they did not allow out side labor ! I always said thats ok I do my own work !Have learned to ask in advance if it's something is beyond my knowalge or tooling to see if outside workers are allowed some places do with insuance. hope you get it done for a fair price or do it yourself. just my 2 cents
Old 25-03-2012, 20:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

R&Ring the cutlass shouldn't take more than an hour. Find and loosen the set screws that hold it in place. Pull the prop and slip off the old cutlass bearing and replace with new. Replace the set screws and the prop and you are back in the water. If the bearing is jammed in the bearing holder, could require removing the shaft. That could be a problem if the shaft is corroded into the coupling and needs a slide hammer to remove. Not a bunch of time with the slide hammer but probably another hour of time. If the cutlass bearing is hanging up, a slide hammer may also be needed to get it out. Slide hammers are not high tech but cheaper to let a professional do the job rather than buying one. OTC4579 9 WAY SLIDE HAMMER PULLER SET | Matco Tools
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 09:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If the cutlass is in the shaftlog and requires removal of the shaft the quote may not be out of line. To replace mine requires removal of the prop, uncoupling the shaft from the engine, yanking off the coupling (this may destroy it) finding the three buried set screws, crawling back into the boat to remove stuffingb b Ox to drive cutlass out of log, put new bearing in and reverse all of the above.
Yep... and often the bearing has to some out piece at a time using a sawzall....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 07:57   #13

I'll check with the boat yard and what they expect to do to remove and replace cutlass bearing, there is a strut. THank you all for your help!
Old 27-03-2012, 07:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
$1500.00??? Unless the whole thing is totally corroded in place requiring major surgery of the strut then Run Away!!!
The strut is in great shape and so is the entire bottom.
Old 27-03-2012, 08:19   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico

We just paid 6.5 hours (at $72 per hour) for $468.00 at a boatyard in Oriental NC. I didn't get an estimate ahead of time because I had no idea what to expect, but after reading this it sounds like I paid more than would be expected.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote