Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 17:11   #1

Boat: CS 36T
CS36 Shaft Strut Removal

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of how the shaft strut is installed on a CS36T. I am wanting to remove it from the hull but am having difficulty getting it off. I have the four bolts out but it is still real solid. It doesn't appear to be just a bedding compound holding it. Could there be a tab that goes up into the hull?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 09:09   #2

Boat: CS 36
Re: CS36 Shaft Strut Removal

Hi, I have a Cs36T and had to do some work on the strut. There was a slight play from side to side and I was having a small leak from there. I could of sealed the leak with 3m 5200, but because there was a play, I wanted to fix it properly. In order to do so, I removed the muffler and grinded my way to the strut from the inside. It's molded in the hump just below the fuel tank. I didn't see any screws or bolts there? Once I grinded enough material around the strut, I poured some epoxy and I used a vacuum cleaner from the outside to pull some epoxy thru. After it cured, I applied a bead of 3m 5200 on the outside and filled the void with thickened epoxy Hope this helps? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1461514050.374963.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	123073

Dangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 16:25   #3

Boat: CS 36T
Re: CS36 Shaft Strut Removal

Thanks Dangen, I had assumed the strut had to extend up into the hull. I tried everything to get it to come off! I ended up cutting it off at the stem and used a saws all to cut the tabs off. I then fiberglassed over the portion that was left. I am converting the CS to a Saildrive and didn't need to save it.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Regards,

Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal