Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2009, 16:26   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Changing the Propshaft Tube

I need to reseal my stuffing box, while attempting to do so, I noticed the rubber hose it connects to is rather old and the hose clamps have rotted away. I dont see much use in repairing the stuffingbox and leaving the clamps and tube as they are.
So heres my plan, any reason why I shouldnt do this or it wont work please chime in.
Im going to seperate the prop shaft from the coupler.
Have a scuba diver buddy in the water under the boat pull the prop shaft out and install one of these
in the hole

While I change the rubber hose and reseal the stuffing box .
After which he would remove the plug and reinstall the prop shaft
and im back in bussiness.
Hows that sound?
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 17:06   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Do you know how far the shaft will go? Will it hit the rudder? At least put a line on it when you try this. It's worth a try but make sure your buddy is ready to shove the shaft back in fast if need be. I would also put as much weight on the bow as possible, like a football team, to raise the ass end and get a lot less pressure.
Old 28-09-2009, 18:54   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Don't remove the prop shaft, have your dive buddy slide it back far enough to do your work and then take one of the wax rings they used to seat toilets, and work the wax in between the shaft and the shaft tube from the outside. Its just the right consistency to jam in and makes a great seal. They just used this technique to reglass the stern tube on the YC Grand Banks in the water, and it came out perfect.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 19:22   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Wax ring.....BTW how much is the diver charging and do you have ample bilge pumps?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 20:24   #5

Shaft could come all the way out if thats what I had to do
looks like this one

a two inch hole a foot below the water line lets in aprox 79 gallons a minute.
The shaft is 3/4 inch, the hole cannot be more then 1 inch. So im left with the possibilty of 40 gallons/ a minute Not quite a gallon a second. And even if we pull the shaft all the way and install a plug it should take less then 10 seconds to install the plug.
I have a 2000 gallon/hr auto pump and a 1000 hr auto pump and the cockpit mounted manual pump if it came to that. The 2000 alone should pump 25 gallons a minute (claimed is 33 g/m)
I like the wax ring idea, as the shaft went out I could pack the hole from the top with the wax ring and then have him still plug it with a rubber plug from the bottom. then when the shaft went back in it would dump all the wax in my lap
The diver service is free, hes a good friend of mine. Problay cost me a beer or two and lunch when we are done.
Im kind of low on options at this point, the stuffing box is leaking close to a gallon an hour with the engine off , im afarid to torque on the box due to the condition of the hose and clamps. The boat is 75 miles from my house, the closest marina that could haul me (due to draft, without geting creative with weight on the boom and an airbag under the keel) is 37 miles farther from home.
Old 28-09-2009, 21:31   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
See post 3.

If you don't pull the shaft all the way out...you have less to pack....

I would make sure your work area is clear....all tools at hand.....practice doing it.....
kinda like a "pitstop"

I had to have a diver help me fix a hole in atugboat one time....we made a plate with rubber on it and a bolt thru the center.....gooped it up with 5200....I shoved a ladyslipper into the hole....diver found ladyslipper....rapped on hull 3 times....pulled ladyslipper...brief geyser of water before he got plate affixed....put a nut/backing plate on the inside....it held until we hauled vessel six months later.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 04:23   #7

Ive read conflicting opinions, should I purchase a new coupler and just replace it for while its apart.
Old 03-10-2009, 16:56   #8

project completed.
We did not change the stern hose. We did manage to repack the stuffing box and replaced all the hose clamps for the stern tube. The hose isnt pretty but it should last fine till I haul the boat for paint in 6-8 months.
Thanks for the advice guys.