Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13   #1

Boat: Cal 35 MkII
Cal 35 MKII with Campbell Sailor

I own a 1983 Cal 35 MkII (new to me) and have been getting her into shape. Anyone have any experience with moving to a 3 blade prop? I had a 17-10 on my Cal and expect that was what it came with. I recently purchased a Campbell Sailor 16-8 and it is looking like it is way to much prop. Stern drops dramatically, Universal 5432 will only rev to 2000rpm under load. WbyN are more than willing to send me smaller prop. Any feedback much appreciated. To get RPM's where expected I would have to move to a 15-8 3 blade Mike
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Cal 35 MKII with Campbell Sailor

Find a good prop shop,give them all your boat specs.They will resize and pitch it,probably turn it into a 15in.You want to get full rpms in calm water with clean bottom.Also want to make sure engine can achieve full rpm in nuetral.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, the Campbell requires much less pitch than you would have with a normal 3-blade. I don't think going down in diameter is the right way - you should decrease the pitch instead. WbyN are usually very good at estimating the pitch needed for your boat - are they the ones that suggested the present 16x8? WbyN can repitch your prop for a small fee.

I would not have any other shop repitch that prop. It is a specialized shape with cupped blades, and not a typical prop at all. Let the people who make it do the repitch.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48   #4

Agree that WxN will do the work regardless of what comes out of this. They actually recommended to go down in diameter and not reduce pitch. He (Kelsey) was concerned to reduce pitch needed to get RPM up on motor curve would be to drastic and the diameter reduction, same pitch and a bit less edge cup would give the best result.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52   #5

And yes WxN suggested the present 16x8. Original 2-blade was 17x10. Not sure if it was original and unfortunately the diesel was not at optimum operating condition so I never became familiar with old 2-blade regarding engine rpm, stern drop, etc. May have to put old 2-blade back on to see what happens.
Old 02-10-2013, 17:24   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Go with what they recommend - I found them to be very knowledgable.

I don't understand the stern drop thing. All boats squat under power and the prop isn't going to change that.

If your engine is not up to snuff, I would delay changing the prop until it was running correctly.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:33   #7

Thanks and could not agree more. Right now I am just attempting to find some point of reference on the squat and is it more than normal for Cal 35, etc. The exhaust being submerged does not concern me (it is well below loop) as long as it is typical. I am continue to look for engine issues including compression and/or fuel problems. My 5432 seems to run very well not overheating or producing black smoke due to being over-worked and will rev up to 2800 easily in neutral.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03   #8

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

Hello Mike of Westy2...

Welcome to the Cal 35ers! I have a 1984 Cal 35 MkII that I am refitting... BTW I have a folding prop and I have the same RPM problem, which I will address next year, so I can't help you on that now...

But I have done alot of research and work on my Cal 35 and I post on these 2 sites:

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvSecondWind

Welcome - svsecondwind's JimdoPage!

Fair Winds!
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 14:07   #9

rickusc. ...she looks just amazing and I thought I was doing some work on my baby....just amazing what you have done. This is my first boat and I must say I love it. It was a gift and continues to be a gift. A lot of work but getting there. I may have to get back on FB so I can keep up with you.
Interesting that you also have an issue with your 5432 rpm. Based on your pics it looks like you did quite a bit of work (I like your 345 manual) the key to my block as well.
Question- when you are under full power (at 2000 if your max) does the stern of your Cal squat to where the exhaust exit is close and sometimes in the water. I have not put the original 2-blade back on but may if I get time. What the heck else could be limiting rev's? Fuel, compression, back pressure? puzzling. Thanks again and appreciate the information.
Old 03-10-2013, 14:51   #10

If it got to proper rpm before the prop change it must be your new prop. Those are great props, you just need to get it right I imagine. What rpm are you shooting for?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:05   #11

Can not absolutely say it got to proper RPM with old prop before the change to CS. I did engine work before running it full out. Simple items like clean up, water pump (block and RW) and HX, filters, etc.. Also re-built exhaust elbow. The best way to determine prop or not would be to put old 2-blade (17x10) back on ans see if it winds up. That would definately answer the question. May have to just do it. Shooting for 2200-2500 cruise with 300 left to get out of trouble if needed. Red line on my Universal 5432 (Kubota) is 2800. WxN, knowing this engine tranny sized new prop.
Old 03-10-2013, 22:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy2 View Post
rickusc. ...she looks just amazing and I thought I was doing some work on my baby....just amazing what you have done. This is my first boat and I must say I love it. It was a gift and continues to be a gift. A lot of work but getting there. I may have to get back on FB so I can keep up with you.
Interesting that you also have an issue with your 5432 rpm. Based on your pics it looks like you did quite a bit of work (I like your 345 manual) the key to my block as well.
Question- when you are under full power (at 2000 if your max) does the stern of your Cal squat to where the exhaust exit is close and sometimes in the water. I have not put the original 2-blade back on but may if I get time. What the heck else could be limiting rev's? Fuel, compression, back pressure? puzzling. Thanks again and appreciate the information.
Westy2 - Its my understanding that they should get to 2800 (I am on the East Coast for the Annapolis Show and I don't have my manuals with me). I bought mine in 2011 and the previous owner was a racer, having won the Ensenada Race twice (as I understand). He put a feathering prop on her. It is my understanding that my prop may be able to be adjusted, but I was advised by my mechanic to do the final change after I had the boat loaded for my trip.

I noticed your comment about the stern of your boat sinking down, I haven't noticed that, but when she's underway, the water line does raise up to or near the level of the exhaust... But I haven't noticed a problem there - I will have to pay some attention to that after I get the engine back in. Its more like the water flow rising with the speed, that the stern "squatting" lower.

I can tell you that the motor would rev up to its proper level (2800) in neutral, but in gear underway, it will not exceed 2000. My mechanic tells me that it way too low and I will have to correct - either adjust my (expensive) feathering prop - or replace it - it is too hard on the motor.

Cheers!
Old 12-02-2014, 16:01   #13

just bought cal 35 in need of prop it did not have one my problem is where the shaft is I could only swing a 13 inch prop I know original was 16 inch so either the shaft is shorter than it is supposed to be or the amount of buildup around the strut is excessive this work was done by who knows what I need to find out is the dimension from end of shaft to rudder so I have a reference point can anyone with a cal 35 help me out here desperate to due it rite need info even a pic of rudder to prop would be of help thx
cliffs508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 16:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffs508 View Post
just bought cal 35 in need of prop it did not have one my problem is where the shaft is I could only swing a 13 inch prop I know original was 16 inch so either the shaft is shorter than it is supposed to be or the amount of buildup around the strut is excessive this work was done by who knows what I need to find out is the dimension from end of shaft to rudder so I have a reference point can anyone with a cal 35 help me out here desperate to due it rite need info even a pic of rudder to prop would be of help thx
Welcome to the Cal 35 club! I can't help you on this (I am 2600 miles away from my Cal 35 right now). You might try & contact other owners - maybe Chris with Vacilando can be of help: Vacilando - A Sailing Blog
https://www.facebook.com/mondovacilando

Where is your Cal located? I assume it is a Cal 35 Mk II?

Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvSecondWind

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Old 13-02-2014, 12:50   #15

would you remember if prop was directly behind the strut or if there were say 2-4 inches thx
cliffs508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, sail