Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 02:38   #1

Boat: Ian Wright Custom 36 Twin Keel
Brocken P Piller

I was out motoring my yacht today and ran over a semi submerged nylon rope that rapped itself around my propeller shaft and prop and brining the yacht to an abrupt stop. My crewmate (qualified paramedic rescue swimmer) dived on the prop then gave me the bad news. 1. The two bladed autostream feathering prop had both blades sheared off leaving nothing bit fractured stubs. 2. The P Pillar Bracket had snapped off approx 2 inches below hull/bracket joint. Not sure if shaft is also bent. No internal damage or leaking visable internal to hull part of p pillarbracket. My question is can the existing P Piller be rejointed, slinted and reglassed or does the whole P Pillar need to be replaced? Hopefully my Club Marine Insurance will cover the expenses.
BTW I was towed back to my mooring by a very helpful fisherman who stopped to lend a hand.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:48   #2

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: Brocken P Piller

Hi Alasdair, Without actually looking at the boat it's hard to say for sure. I strongly suspect, though, that your P-bracket is not repairable in place and will have to be replaced. These brackets should not fail under normal, foreseeable circumstances. They should easily withstand a rope wrap, making me suspect that this one was corroded or fatigued.
Old 28-11-2012, 23:25   #3

Boat: Ian Wright Custom 36 Twin Keel
Re: Brocken P Piller

The boat is now out of the water. The P Bracket was snapped in two approx 2 inches below hull join; no sign of corrosion or fatigue. The prop showed signs of dezinkification. The broken p bracket will be replaced by qualified shipwright as beyond my ability. Replacing feathering prop with fixed 3 blade prop along with new shaft. Luckily covered by insurance.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote