Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I saw one on a boat on the hard in my marina. It is mounted on the outside of the boat on the leading edge of the bow about a foot under the water line. Looks kind of like a "normal" bow thruster in a tunnel except that its on the outside. Looked to me like it would be horrible for both speed and performance in any situation other than when you were actually using it - but I have no actual experience or even rumor to base that impression on.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:14   #17

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've seen "external" stern thrusters on power boats but never an external bow thruster. They are either through-hull with a big tunnel hole or retractable that drop down thru the hull

Old 02-10-2009, 11:32   #18

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
the one I saw on the bow was on a powerboat, not a sailboat.
Old 02-10-2009, 13:31   #19

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
The reference to external thrusters may have referred to the Sideshift. These are indeed usually used on power boats.

I'm also intrigued by the Willdo water-jet types, and am doing a few experiments along those lines. My boat doesn't back well either, and there is virtually no propwalk - the MaxProp is on the trailing edge of a modified fin, then there is a HUGE gap before a skeg-hung rudder. Steerageway is the only way, and that can get dicey close-in. I need a thruster too, and the $13K quote for a tunnel was not inviting... so I'm playing with a homebrew external approach.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-10-2009, 13:59   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I've never worked with either but the "Marino Extern" seems a more elegant product (to me) than the Sideshift external truster.

MARINNO * Bugstrahlruder * Heckstrahlruder * EXTURN Das externe Bug- und Heckstrahlruder

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:37   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
The reference to external thrusters may have referred to the Sideshift. These are indeed usually used on power boats.

I'm also intrigued by the Willdo water-jet types, and am doing a few experiments along those lines. My boat doesn't back well either, and there is virtually no propwalk - the MaxProp is on the trailing edge of a modified fin, then there is a HUGE gap before a skeg-hung rudder. Steerageway is the only way, and that can get dicey close-in. I need a thruster too, and the $13K quote for a tunnel was not inviting... so I'm playing with a homebrew external approach.

Cheers,
Steve
13K sure seems high for a boat your size Steve.
Have you looked at the Side Power they are a conventional thruster with a very good reputation....I think my 10" 11hp was around 5KUSD.

Any news on selling the small boat?
Any worthy takers?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:47   #22

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
13K sure seems high for a boat your size Steve.
Have you looked at the Side Power they are a conventional thruster with a very good reputation....I think my 10" 11hp was around 5KUSD.

Any news on selling the small boat?
Any worthy takers?
Hi James...

Well, that was the installed price; I think the number you mention is about what the hardware costs. It's a lot of surgery

No serious nibbles on the Microship, though I had a chat with a broker (I know...) the other day. The market for expensive one-person geeky amphibian micro-trimarans is somewhat specialized, but maybe the visibility of YW would be good.

In the meantime, I've spent far too many months chasing real estate that has shop space and is close to moorage... and have decided to stick with what feels best to an old technomad: wheel estate! I'm building a mobile lab in a 24-foot trailer, and will just park it at the marina for most of the winter.

One of the many projects is at least a test-bed thruster, pivoting off the bow. I've been planning to do this with stock trolling motors, but am starting to see the other benefits of having a serious water pump aboard. Maybe.....

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Steve

It seems to me that there was some talk on a thread several months back about the water pumps, and some folks that tried them.

After looking at what you’ve done and you're capabilities I'm sure you can come up with some innovation.
I’ve sent you a PM with some input.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:14   #24

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
I had a Vetus 95kph installed n our 40 Jeanneau a few years ago. Love it! Sure makes life easy in difficult situations. I would lean toward avoiding internal or retracting thrusters. Just something else likely to fail.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35   #25

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
How can a thruster in the bow, make backing up straight on a boat that wont eaiser?
Pardon my ignorance. Never used one. But it seems to me that the dynamics of it would still throw the stern off.

Before investing in a large expense live a thruster, perhaps upgrade to a max prop, folding prop. They are known to help the backing up issue.

My PO wanted a bow thruster, and after docking the boat a few times I understand why, but on a 40 footer, it seems to me that the max prop would be a better choice initally, but at 4K, it will have to wait..... lets see, new refrigeration or a max prop.... no contest.

TO be truley a good backer upper ... I would think both bow and stern thrusters would be needed.... imagine the power drain... ouch.

BTW, If I did put in a thruster I would use the largest cable I could get my hands on... like 4/0 instead of 1awg.

Bob
Old 03-10-2009, 06:46   #26

Boat: Tayana 55
bobfnbw,

If you set the rudder straight and back down slowly any movement of the bow in one direction will move the stern the other way...so with practice you can at least keep the boat backing straight and have more influence on direction than with the rudder.

My boat steers beautifully in reverse but only above 2-3 knots! which is why at low speed I have to use the bowthruster. I hardly ever use it for docking in forward gear except perhaps to move he bow out at the last moment whan I come in a little close.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22   #27

Well you'e backing into a slip with the wind blowing 20+ across the bow. Don't say "don't back in"! You're trying to back out of a slip with 20+, think you're going to get the bow up into the wind in a narrrow fairway? Picking up a mooring ball penant in the Bahamas once. Wind and waves. I got as close as I could and puched the bow over with old "Trusty Thrusty". Diane snagged the line and I went forward to get it attached, couldn't hold the boat against the wind,, waves and current. I told her to run to the cockpit and hit the thruster, bow moves, no strain, penant attached. Watched three other boats struggle for nearly an hour to get on to the moorings. I could go on. For us, money very well spent! BTW, I have a Max Prop and love it. Flame away!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41   #28

That's basicly how we use it also. Another nice feature is picking up the mooring, I can't see it for the last 50 feet or so and my wife directs me by pointing with the boat hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
bobfnbw,

If you set the rudder straight and back down slowly any movement of the bow in one direction will move the stern the other way...so with practice you can at least keep the boat backing straight and have more influence on direction than with the rudder.

My boat steers beautifully in reverse but only above 2-3 knots! which is why at low speed I have to use the bowthruster. I hardly ever use it for docking in forward gear except perhaps to move he bow out at the last moment whan I come in a little close.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:10   #29

We have headsets called "marraige savers". LOL Another benefit I enjoy is when you back into a slip with short finger docks and bow pilings way out front. We back in and hook one sternline into the cockpit, pull forward hit the thruster and bow goes to one piling and Diane drops a line on it, then repeat the process for the other and ease back into the slip and set all the lines. Way too easy! She also accused me of having a bad case of "bow thruster envy", she was right!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29   #30

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Guess I'll have to put it on the list!!

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: